Official - Windows 10 Worst Crap Ever!

bookie32

Win 8.1 also seems a bit more efficient/interactive at some desktop windowing things, w/regard to multitasking.  Echoing the comments above, I've judged my well-tweaked Win 8.1 to be overall better than the best tweaked Win 7 I ever had (I use my workstation every day all day).  Even though Win 8 had already started down the road to ruin with the Metro/Modern side, you can still entirely avoid that stuff and it's fine as a desktop system.  NOT like the latest Win 10 v1703, which is starting to become dangerously tied to its UWP side.

And the best part?  A permanently activated, stable Win 8 is not likely to be changed for the worse by Microsoft.  While it hasn't been necessary so far, you could always avoid further updates if it comes down to it.  You're still in control.

While I surely would have liked to see Microsoft remain on the straight and narrow with Win 10, at least I can live with 8.1 for a fair bit longer.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

1 hour ago, JodyT said:

I worry that one day there will be some killer application for Windows 10, that requires me to install it.  I hope it will work in Wine by that point ...lol.  I can't see myself changing my stance on windows 10.

Wait one, does Wine emulate Windows 10?  Or maybe the "killer application" wouldn't need Windows 10 to run and function correctly?  Cherry pick an application, Hmmmmm.

3 hours ago, Dibya said:

(I am happy to drop FPS in your game my name is Aero)

I personally haven't seen transparency effects having any significant effect on gaming performance. At least in exclusive full screen mode, DWM backs away. In windowed mode however, desktop compositing will introduce mouse input lag due DWM's vertical sync, which is otherwise nice to get rid of screen tearing when scrolling web pages, documents, ...  I just remembered one of the compositors for X11 (Linux and the like), Compiz, has an option for limiting its refresh rate, if you set it to "monitor's refresh rate - 1", you get smoother mouse movement with VSYNC while on the desktop. Maybe Aero effects themselves were more of an issue on older hardware.

I'm nuts about Aero, so Big Muscle's Aero Glass is always installed. I remember @NoelCposted some benchmarks one time with Aero Glass enabled/disabled and they didn't show any significant performance degradation (was there any at all?). Modern GPUs are pretty powerful, even cheap ones are good for the basic desktop composition.

2 hours ago, JodyT said:

I worry that one day there will be some killer application for Windows 10, that requires me to install it.  I hope it will work in Wine by that point ...lol.  I can't see myself changing my stance on windows 10.

Wine can be a total hit or miss. But imagine if all that effort went into developing quality ports of native applications. I think it would do well to improve bad parts on the Linux desktops and the like. Microsoft would be forced re-think their strategies.

Their whole pushing of Windows 10 surely left some effect. It seems it's almost everywhere now. Pick a random shop or dentist office or whatever. The same place probably clinged to Windows XP back in 2010, today, they're on Windows 10, as if it was the best thing ever.

It sucks, because I realized after running Windows 10 for about a year and half that Windows 8.1 isn't perfect neither, although it's very close. If one could just bring some of the good things back to 8.1...

It seems however that Windows 10 may be necessary evil for some scenarios. Supposedly its new display driver model has performance benefits even for cross-platform Vulkan API.

Edited by UCyborg

18 hours ago, UCyborg said:

Supposedly its new display driver model has performance benefits even for cross-platform Vulkan API.

Surprisingly (or not), the OS is so bloated that these performance increases (if any) end up doing nothing, and the games run even worse in some cases! (And I'm running an AMD card, that supposedly runs better on 10!)

Edited by greenhillmaniac

13 hours ago, greenhillmaniac said:

Surprisingly (or not), the OS is so bloated that these performance increases (if any) end up doing nothing, and the games run even worse in some cases! (And I'm running and AMD card, that supposedly runs better on 10!)

Designed for Windows 10, runs better on 8.1! :D

The Crap series: "Tale of Two Updates"

Apple MacBook with SSD updated to 16215 in a little over an hour and everything tested is running correctly.

Dell laptop with HDD ran the update for over 12 hours and arrived at 16199 where it started.  The good part was that the WIFI was not lost and a restore to the previous release was not needed.

Am wondering if an SSD is needed for a straight line update of 16199 to 16215 as compared to the HDD that did the circle update of 16199 to 16199?  In either case the update procedure was not to be stopped short of a shutdown.  It appears to be a good decision to not put either computer into a production environment, well maybe the Apple.  Perhaps the Dell needs an SSD to compete.  The HDD does just spin in a circle. :unsure:

Second try of Dell laptop to update Win 10 to 16215:  Update completed but WIFI connection was lost. When the PC is powered up, even without a login, the update starts.  Well, now the plan is to bring the WIFI back without touching the driver for the Network Adapter.

Disabled all network adapters in Device Manager.  Changed no drivers.  Restarted PC.  Restart crashed.  Restarted PC after crash log completed.  WIFI was back.  Enabled one network adapter.  Connected to normally used network.  Does that seem like a lot of crap?

Edited by BudwS
Second try. Update.

Two users were signed in on each Win 10 test computer.  Both computers passed the test.  Extra points given.  Both computers shutdown with no issues.  No problems occurred during the powered off time period.  Does crap have something to do with politics?  :cool:

2 hours ago, BudwS said:

Does crap have something to do with politics? 

If it's just as unpredictive as trump, it sure is crap. A computers OS U must be able to trust every time U use it. W10 isn't there yet....