Official - Windows 10 Worst Crap Ever!

bookie32

If I were in the market for a new laptop, I'd look for a seller who offered machines with no OS installed on them, and then put some flavor of Linux on it.

If I couldn't find a reputable vendor that sold non-OS laptops, I would think about wiping the HDD and putting Linux on it. Or changing out the pre-installed Windows HDD for a blank one.

A similar approach to yours, only with some different details. The idea is that Win10 is simply not an acceptable choice as things stand.

--JorgeA

34 minutes ago, JorgeA said:

If I were in the market for a new laptop, I'd look for a seller who offered machines with no OS installed on them, and then put some flavor of Linux on it.

If I couldn't find a reputable vendor that sold non-OS laptops, I would think about wiping the HDD and putting Linux on it. Or changing out the pre-installed Windows HDD for a blank one.

A similar approach to yours, only with some different details. The idea is that Win10 is simply not an acceptable choice as things stand.

--JorgeA

And you would be wrong. :w00t::ph34r:

What you should do - instead - should be to find a laptop that is ALREADY intended for Linux (and thus drivers will be available) or one on which Linux was already specifically widely used (these tend to be "not-latest-models").

There are a handful of (small) manufacturers that sell these "made for Linux" laptops, just as an example, here is one:
https://www.thinkpenguin.com/

and DELL has the "developer edition" line (though it comes with Ubuntu :( it can certainly be changed to a better distro).

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Well, I don't mind buying a new laptop with Windows 10, as long as I'm able to install a different Windows OS. I think it's a worse case scenario for modern day M$ to have the money from the licensing but not having you use their services, as opposed to you not paying for it, but using Apps and the Store (the 1 year forced free upgrade proves my point).

My main problem with buying new HW is drivers. I think M$ knows that the easiest way to make people stay on the new OS, is making it harder to make your new spanking HW function properly with older Windows versions (that's why we have the recent threats news that new Intel and AMD processors will only work on 10). That's why other technologies, such as Secure Boot, and TPM exist, to make it harder for you to switch.

In the near future we will have laptops resembling tablets, with locked BIOSses, where our only "choice" of OS is Winbloat 10! And that scares me. I guess I'll be sticking with technology from 2015/2014 and backwards :unsure:

31 minutes ago, JorgeA said:

And where exactly would I be wrong, jaclaz?

Of course, jaclaz was not thinking about this, but my take is you'd be wrong to go linux, when TrueOS is actually the best choice (IMO)... :)
TrueOS is a desktop/notebook distribution of FreeBSD, using Sun's own OpenZFS filesystem. It's, hands down, the best unix option for a personal computer. Of course, these are just my 2¢, so feel free to ignore my advice but, since you've asked, I volunteered my advice. :yes:

1 hour ago, dencorso said:

Of course, jaclaz was not thinking about this, but my take is you'd be wrong to go linux, when TrueOS is actually the best choice (IMO)... :)
TrueOS is a desktop/notebook distribution of FreeBSD, using Sun's own OpenZFS filesystem. It's, hands down, the best unix option for a personal computer. Of course, these are just my 2¢, so feel free to ignore my advice but, since you've asked, I volunteered my advice. :yes:

Sorry, as you said..your opinion....:D

I can't see FreeBSD as a viable option as long as there is the development team across the planet for different Linux versions....I tried for a while to use FreeNas as a home server and just gave up....just a pain...

I will go as far as to add I haven't tried  TrueOS and will because of your being such a great fan....:cool:

bookie32

34 minutes ago, bookie32 said:

Sorry, as you said..your opinion....:D

I can't see FreeBSD as a viable option as long as there is the development team across the planet for different Linux versions....I tried for a while to use FreeNas as a home server and just gave up....just a pain...

I will go as far as to add I haven't tried  TrueOS and will because of your being such a great fan....:cool:

bookie32

I got so depressed of windows insider half-day, no f**king difference, updates, so it inflicted my hole person. My rescue was a linux clone called Solus! It got my curiosity back. I now feel fine again, relived!

@JorgeA

I was trying to tell you that if you get a "random" laptop you have big chances of NOT being able to find suitable hardware drivers for the Linux you want to install to it.

Have a look around, the interweb is full of people that did what you thought and passed months or years without fully using the laptop capabilities (because of lack of suitable drivers or due to the less than optimal quality/performance of those found).

The situation is much less critical for desktops (even if there are still driver issues with them) but with laptops it is really a problem AFAIK.

jaclaz 

Thanks for the warning, jaclaz.

In my (limited) experience running Linux on laptops, I haven't encountered hardware driver issues, but it's good to know that this could happen.

--JorgeA

10 hours ago, dencorso said:

I spent some time checking out TrueOS. It's intriguing. I like the "rolling release" model as it doesn't involve nuking your installation every few months. Their Start Menu comes closer to the Windows variety than any Linux I've seen.

--JorgeA

Known Issues:

User accounts are not preserved; PersonaCrypt users should save the key for their device to a separate disk.

Legacy Nvidia cards are not working properly at this time.

ATI / AMD Video cards are not working properly at this time.

is there anything that is working properly ? :P

>is there anything that is working properly ?

Doesn't sound like it, not in Win 10 land.

By contrast on my Win 8.1 workstation I developed software all day today (as well as release new software, support customers, buy stuff, collaborate online with engineers and testers, integrate software via Subversion, merge code bases, listen to Pandora, etc.).

Never once did I have to think about updates, failures, or trouble.  It just worked.  I just worked.  And now because I was so productive my products can automatically upload a customer support request, my server will see it, download it, automatically respond to the user, and queue the support request for me so that it can't get lost.  I had 4 instances of Visual Studio running at one point, plus dozens of other things.  When I needed to research something online it came right up in browser windows.  When I needed to respond to customers I did so with minimal fuss.  When I needed to build something it just built.  No data was lost, no limits were reached, nothing unexpected happened.

I can't begin to imagine having used Win 10 all day and having had it just do what I needed reliably, and just stay out of my way like that.

I don't care what Microsoft thinks, it's still about what I need to do, not what Microsoft needs.  And they are getting farther and farther from that ideal.

-Noel

Floating in the preview crap:  A little creative mouse clicking, narrator and Classic Shell has 14936 up and running on the Dell laptop and the Apple MacBook.  Still thinking that the white shade on the text boxes is a software programming error, not a display driver issue.  Too many applications can use the MS driver to display good video on the computers. The text boxes that get white shade, display good video for a second or so as well.  Stay tuned for the next exciting episode of "As The Crap Turns."

Just built a new games rig with a customer's son...

Decided to program it today and straight away I was annoyed at the way the installation went....

List of components....I'm jealous...:D

NZXT Noctis 450 (looks like a starwars storm trouper)

Asus Z170 Pro Gaming

Intel Core i7 6700K 4.0 GHz

Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2666MHz 16GB

MSI Gaming X Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

Corsair Rmx 750watt 80 Plus gold

Samsung 950 Pro 256 M.2 SSD

Seagate Desktop 3 TB

Noctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler

Samsung 27 inch Curved screen

Windows 10 Home

Sorry, getting to to the point...tried to set up the samsung 950 pro for the main drive and the 3TB one as secondary drive....every time I chose to put a partition on the secondary drive it wanted to put start functions for windows on it?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had already set up the samsung 950 pro...

So, I continued with the installation without setting up the secondary drive...

What gives?

bookie32