Official - Windows 10 Worst Crap Ever!

bookie32

4 minutes ago, NoelC said:

Consider this server name carefully:

ScreenGrab_NoelC4_2016_05_13_094334.png

-Noel

Wow, that's quite a find, Noel -- one worthy of "The Finder".  ;)

What do you suppose that entry means?  :unsure:

--JorgeA

>Wow, that's quite a find, Noel

I didn't "find" it so much as observe it happening while monitoring my DNS server name resolutions while browsing a Microsoft forum.  Not everyone has the software or capability to do such monitoring, but watching what servers are being contacted online is quite a good way to learn what your system is doing (or trying to do) online.

As for what it means...  It could mean that some Microsoft employees have not turned altogether to the dark side, and use an uneasy sense of humor to get through each day, in pursuit of that all-important paycheck.

Unfortunately - and sadly - accomplished tech Jedi though I may be, I no longer "feel the good" in Microsoft.  Such hints as seen above are all too infrequent.

-Noel

P.S., an example of another thing I learned from the session above was that with all the protections in place my system - up to yesterday - was still allowing contact with a tracking service (noting the qualtrics.com domain names in the above capture).  That gave rise to another wildcard rule in my DNS server config.  It's amazing how much more efficient web browsing becomes when most of the activity involves just retrieving the information YOU want.

My tinfoil hat is hardened Transparent Aluminum.  And I do remember where we parked.

1 hour ago, JorgeA said:

Wow, that's quite a find, Noel -- one worthy of "The Finder".  ;)

What do you suppose that entry means?  :unsure:

--JorgeA

Naah, "The Finder" is ahead of that ;) and can actually find LOLCATs on that server (which is normally nothing but a hosting site - I believe used by some of the stupid new MS OS's to share screenshots or clipboard copies :unsure:):
http://fud.community.services.support.microsoft.com/Fud/FileDownloadHandler.ashx?fid=c1ae7e92-f03e-4901-8fbb-686155ff87d1

though I believe that *somehow* *anything* can be stored on that server, so I find it a not too bad idea to block it.

jaclaz

Some new crap:  Insider Windows 10 Update fast track indicated that update 14342 was ready to install.  Clicked install.  Windows Update say everything was up to date when it realized that the update was already installed.  Must be a slow day at the Windows Update circus.

Hi Guys!

Sorry, been away...father is not too good!!

While I was in England my phone didn't stop ringing....customers very upset that they see their computers updating and when they restart them it is Windows 10...!!!

Of course, many have just ignored the white icon for ages and didn't think about the message  that Windows 10 is scheduled to install at 22:00 or whatever....

Sending out this upgrade as a recommended update makes me ******* angry!!

As I said before,when a seed is sown and receives the right nourishment it will grow and grow....

Even more of my customers are going over to Mac....;)

I lways was under the impression that programs/software that install on our computers (without our say so) is given the label PUP (potintially unwanted programs) ....I have to fix such problems nearly every day...

What do we class an upgrade that is scheduled as an update...that we haven't said OK to? Isn't that a PUP or the better name for such crap Malware?

Seriously, tell me how this move is going to impress customers?

bookie32 (very angry bunny!!)

Edited by bookie32

They no longer feel they need to impress anyone.  They have their customers by the short hairs.

Think "there is no tomorrow, so it doesn't matter what we do today".

-Noel

5 minutes ago, NoelC said:

They no longer feel they need to impress anyone.  They have their customers by the short hairs.

Think "there is no tomorrow, so it doesn't matter what we do today".

-Noel

Hi NoelC!

I think you have hit the nail on the head....I have seen many press releases that will point to the fact that Microsoft have sent out Windows 10 as a recommended update and obviously don't care or are counting on those that are so fed up with the popups "saying it is time to upgrade your computer" that they unwillingly dismiss the scheduled update as just another anoying popup... 

I have pointed out to my customers that they are still in the position to say no....or are they....:):crazy:

I think, from all that has been written on this site, Microsoft don't give a **** ...

I also feel that there is something in the fact that this data collection OS is just the tip of the iceberg....The American government seem to like spying on everyone.....this OS makes the job easier for them...:ph34r:

Time will tell.................................

bookie32

To be fair, Win 10 (up to now) doesn't really spy on users more than 8.1 did/does.  Even an up-to-date Win 7 does more of that now, if you haven't hidden certain telemetry updates.  Fortunately that can still be controlled, but gradually the control is being taken away, and THAT is the key point to focus on.

With more and more "cloud integration", it's inevitable that software makers who feel the need to gather data on you will use the communications pathways for things you'd rather they not do.

I personally don't care for "cloud integration" myself, and have managed so far to delay its intrusion into my world.  I even have a Win 10 test configuration that's entirely private - though it has taken all my geek skills to get it there, and some paid 3rd party firewall software to verify it stays there.  I have just tested an upgrade to the latest pre-release build - 14342 - and have seen that it now attempts communications with www.msftconnecttest.com at key times.  I also saw ApplicationFrameHost trying to reach ctldl.windowsupdate.com even though I have Windows Update disabled by every means I can muster.  So more study and tweaking is required.

Thing is, I don't really want to HAVE to spend the time to study Microsoft's new attempts to pry information out of me and tweak them out of existence.  I have better things to do.  Thus I will continue to run an older operating system for as long as it's reasonably feasible.

I predict there will come a time when all we frogs jump out of the pot and pounce on the heads of those who are trying to boil us for the gold in our pockets.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

Hi NoelC!

Well, I still get called nerd and I am not sure if that is the same as geek....anyway, I haven't anywhere near the amount of geek skills as you guys to start fixing things in the same way as you do...

I do understand that things have become worse regarding spying even in Windows 7...I avoid cloud services etc...

I just wonder where all of this is going to leave us in about ten years down the road....

We get barcodes going into big functions now...how long before we have them a a daily requirement...:lol:

Not in my life time I don't think....hope....lol

bookie32

5/21 My friend's pc automatically updated to Windows 10, he says it crashes doing the simplest tasks like opening Windows...

Microsoft, stop releasing this crap...

This isn't relevant to Windows 10 (Windows 8 technically), but the first generation surface my family own had always crashed for the simplest tasks...like opening Excel. An example of Microsoft forcing bloated OSes on their devices.

Edited by ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~

~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~

As a company that gives support to those who need it...I have to deal with this crap on a daily basis...:ph34r:

I do remember a little from the time when XP was popular (still is, I hasten to add...:cool: ) Windows 7 was with us and if we wanted to upgrade to XP there was a program from Microsoft that supposedly checked your computer to see if Windows 7 would work on your hardware...at the time I was just happy that Microsoft cared enough to make sure our computers would survive the upgrade....

Since then I have got older, more grumpy and most of all cynicle to anything that comes from Microsoft....A free uppgrade to Windows 10....can't say I have ever trusted Microsoft's intentions with this move...

I haven't read anywhere where Microsoft apologises (give me links anyone) to the public for the problems, costs Windows 10 has caused them...of course, the happy ones according to the way Microsoft seems the think these days...would suggest that they outway the unhappy ones....if that is actually the case...

The experts here would definitely give good reasons why Windows 10 is a good OS or would they?

I don't personally trust Microsoft as a company any more...maybe I was naive to think there could be honour amongst thieves ...

Well, the Borg assimilate....so why shouldn't Microsoft...."Resistance is futile"...

One good note...allbeit small...Many large companies, banks, etc don't trust in Microsoft for their security systems backups etc...Linux is the preferred choice....:lol:

bookie32

This link came in my email today....

How much are they paying this prat Paul Thurrott to mouth off about Windows 10

There isn't much substance to the video...just a lot of waffle...!!!!!!!!!!!!

Windows 10 is just masses of crap popping up and distracting your eyes from what you want to do....how can anyone think this is something special...?!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Windows adapts to the hardware it is on" Does this mean that the computer dies and is a brick...?!!!!!!!!!!

"updated  universal mobile apps platform" That is his number one reason for upgrading....what a dick head.

"Better support for hardware" Now this means that the computer dies and is a brick.....??????!!!!!!!!!!!!

He obviously doesn't fix computers for a living...

Still p***ed off with this crap....

bookie32

Edited by bookie32
More to add...;)

Hi vinifera:D

I have seen many links to many different newspaper articles since this so called "recommended update" was released.

I still get customers basically calling me a liar when I say we need to stop the update if they want to keep Windows 7, 8 or 8.1..some think it is just me trying to earn extra money out of them...others just don't believe Microsoft would do this...

Microsoft are crap and I just don't want to be bothered with them any more....not even sure I want to fix computers either....

Just sick of trying to explain the basics to customers that just don't understand or believe what you are saying....

bookie32

It's hard to erase a lifetime of trust.

>how can anyone think this is something special...?!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's the same people who get excited about the latest fashion, I suspect.  It's hard to believe the world has turned almost entirely into glitz without substance, but the evidence is all there.

What's not hard to see, by anyone willing to look, is that everything has stagnated (and I'm not just talking about Windows).  Why?  Because the new normal has everyone expecting less and having to watch their backs more. 

What new way is someone going to try to con you out of your money today?

Hard work is sooo last century.

-Noel