Official - Windows 10 Worst Crap Ever!

bookie32

12 hours ago, BudwS said:

The moral to this specific story is that if you want Windows 10 to function, install it on an Apple computer.

A recent one, according to Phil Schiller:
https://www.techinasia.com/awkward-moment-apple-mocked-good-hardware-poor-people

http://ifixit.org/blog/7998/sad-apple/

and to Matt Smith:
http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/is-apple-giving-up-on-the-mac/

Though surely the increased security of the OSX matters :whistle:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/03/30/apple_os_x_rootless/

and IOS adds the safety that each app is manually reviewed:
http://uk.businessinsider.com/this-guy-found-a-hidden-way-to-skip-apples-app-approval-line-heres-how-he-does-it-2016-3?r=US&IR=T

All this is definitely sad :(.

jaclaz

8 hours ago, jaclaz said:

All this is definitely sad :(.

jaclaz

Sad has many faces.  Apple has finally gotten to the point that hackers have taken notice.  Quite impressive.  MS hackers aren't even given recognition these days.  But hack an Apple, now that's news.  Us poor folk have to save up a long time to buy a nice new Apple but we do it anyway.  Too many stories of the people that buy brand new Windows 10 PCs that don't last six months but that hasn't made any news in the reference links.  I look at the ten year old Apple that actually runs Windows 10 better than the new Win 10 PCs and think about sad.  Then I think about the high priced iMac bought 5 years ago and realize that the brand new hardware PCs are still not up to the five year old technology, that's sad.  I think about the old PCs that I tried to use for Win 10 Preview for 9 months and couldn't get get one to do a clean Insider Windows Update. That's sad.  However, the ten year old MacBook with Insider Windows 10 under Boot Camp had a clean Insider Windows Update on the first try.  Is that sad?  No, that is amazing and fun, not sad anymore!  Wait, did the Crap Meter just smile?  No, just my imagination.

On 4/1/2016 at 0:18 PM, BudwS said:

Then I think about the high priced iMac bought 5 years ago and realize that the brand new hardware PCs are still not up to the five year old technology, that's sad.  I think about the old PCs that I tried to use for Win 10 Preview for 9 months and couldn't get get one to do a clean Insider Windows Update. That's sad.

Don't usually post but you peaked my curiosity with this. What hardware are you comparing to your iMac? As far as I know (and compared to everyone here that's not much) Apple computers in the 2000s generally used more expensive/higher end parts than their Windows counterparts, hence the difference in price and quality. However, I don't find that to be the case in the present day especially if you build your own PC.

My own experience with Windows 10 is a bit hate-love (emphasis on more on hate) but it runs fine on my PCs, both HDD and SSD, and that includes a PC with crapware from 2002. Granted I only used the insider isos twice, however both times they never had any problems with updating on the fast ring to a higher build (isos were mainly to install the builds in 2 environments, a test build and a VM); my hate for Windows 10 lies more in its privacy options, or lack thereof, not its performance.

I have had mixed experiences with 10, but I am running them all in VMs on a computer that can kinda handle it lol. For some odd reason virtual or physical I have trouble opening the start menu (unless I install an alternate menu) and when I do get it to open the the task bar dies. Anyway now that I know someone successfully installed it on a Mac I will attempt it after making proper backups I have to find something for Mac OS the only thing I have done with it is setup boot camp. This should be a fun project.

On 4/5/2016 at 11:31 AM, Shining Escuridao said:

Don't usually post but you peaked my curiosity with this. What hardware are you comparing to your iMac?

The main PC was a Dell XPS desktop with an Intel quad CPU.  That PC started with Windows 7 Pro.  That hardware was substantially newer technology than the Intel Core 2 Duo of the MacBook.  I had to use iso DVDs to upgrade Insider Win 10 on the PCs.  Other than that PC, the PCs used were several name brands and some that were home built.  The most powerful of the PCs was the XPS.  That was the PC of Windows 10 disappointment.  Lately, I just go with Win 10 Build 10586.  It seems to work for non-insider systems even though it has a multitude of issues that show up.

The MacBook running Win 10 insider cleanly completed the Win Update to Build 14295.  14295 seems to be a keeper.  I see that MS may think so. too.  I'm looking for a little newer Apple to continue my insider project.

On 4/5/2016 at 11:31 AM, Shining Escuridao said:

Don't usually post but you peaked my curiosity with this. What hardware are you comparing to your iMac?

Just realized I didn't answer the question that you asked.  The iMac of 5 years ago has an i7 3.4 GHz quad CPU, 16 GB of memory, an SSD for the OS, an HDD for backup, a GHz FSB and a 27" monitor.  The brand new computers for comparison were at two name brand stores and were mostly laptops, Dell. Lenovo, HP, Microsoft and some Japanese brands.  Only one had an SSD.  Only one had an i7 quad but with an HDD.  All the rest were lessor technology CPUs.  Most had GHz FSB technology.  None had 2 Storage devices in the off-the-shelf models.  All were Windows 10 but not all of them had touch screen displays.  Not one of the laptops had a 17" display.  There were no "All-In-One" computers for sale at one of the stores.  If you were the company selling Windows 10 computers, wouldn't a tablet touch screen be mandatory?  And a last thought, not one of the PCs was a 6 processor device or had more than 8 GB of memory.  So 5 years out and the off the shelf technology hasn't caught up.  This situation might influence the Crap Meter, too.

A new line of Crap: Why does it take Windows 10 so long to update?  My experience is several hours to several days.  In comparison, the iMac updated to OS X 10.11 in less than an hour.

2 hours ago, BudwS said:

Just realized I didn't answer the question that you asked.  The iMac of 5 years ago has an i7 3.4 GHz quad CPU, 16 GB of memory, an SSD for the OS, an HDD for backup, a GHz FSB and a 27" monitor.  The brand new computers for comparison were at two name brand stores and were mostly laptops, Dell. Lenovo, HP, Microsoft and some Japanese brands.  Only one had an SSD.  Only one had an i7 quad but with an HDD.  All the rest were lessor technology CPUs.  Most had GHz FSB technology.  None had 2 Storage devices in the off-the-shelf models.  All were Windows 10 but not all of them had touch screen displays.  Not one of the laptops had a 17" display.  There were no "All-In-One" computers for sale at one of the stores.  If you were the company selling Windows 10 computers, wouldn't a tablet touch screen be mandatory?  And a last thought, not one of the PCs was a 6 processor device or had more than 8 GB of memory.  So 5 years out and the off the shelf technology hasn't caught up.  This situation might influence the Crap Meter, too.

I can definitely vouch for what you're saying about hardware on laptop computers; I'm not too sure as to why manufacturers elect to not include a touchscreen for devices past windows 8 but I suspect it has to do with a dying market and keeping production costs down, same for the lower tier hardware. On the other hand, one of my devices is a toshiba laptop with windows 10 with a 4th gen i7, 8 gb of ram, 15.6" display, touchscreen, and a 1 tb hdd that i swapped out for a 120 gb ssd (hdd is now used as back up storage). Being that it runs ridiculously smooth on this device might be influencing my thoughts on windows 10 being somewhat decent.

2 hours ago, BudwS said:

A new line of Crap: Why does it take Windows 10 so long to update?  My experience is several hours to several days.  In comparison, the iMac updated to OS X 10.11 in less than an hour.

I would say that varies regardless of hardware as at times my pc with an ssd takes longer to update than another with a hdd.

On Thursday, March 31, 2016 at 8:48 AM, bookie32 said:

[...]Microsoft is quite good at releasing a new OS that isn't anywhere ready for the unsuspecting public....

That's quite an endorsement of Microsoft!  :lol:

Expect a call from the company's PR department any day now, seeking permission to quote you... :D

--JorgeA

On 08.04.2016. at 5:35 PM, BudwS said:

because it is experimental crap OS
with experimental "online service"

better ask yourself, why do they even dump full OS image and call it update, instead to simply put out smaller Service or Update pack...
whatever its convinient to call it these days...

or as I'd say: why the fuck would I download 3 gigs of crap for something that requires 500 MB at most

answer is probably the same, simply to annoy the fuck out you and everyone else

Edited by vinifera
f1sh

Hi guys!

I try to always offer my customers the opportunity of resetting their computers to factory settings...if that partition is still intact...but unfortunately that doesn't work so well as it once did...almost as soon as I reset the computer Microsoft wants to update Windows update...and more offten than not it goes pearshaped after that...

I just find it a pain having to fix such problems...It has got to the point where I just don't want to be bothered any more...

I try to keep an updated sysprep version that I can install....

I still get customers that are totally convinced that Microsoft knows best and they just accept what is dished out...and then others have no hair left and have decided to buy a Mac...

God help is other manufacturers start adopting Microsofts way of doing things....soon we will have planes without wings....trains with out tracks....bit worrying...;)

I have had two computers in a row where the customer has bought Office 2016 Home and Business...(two different computers)...I have setup Outlook for their email etc and then turned of the computer when all updates are installed...

The customers have come to pick up their computers and what happpens....I start them to show them the new features of office 2016...and on both computers it has stopped working and I have had to reinstall the software....

It is embarrassing to say the least...

It doesn't build their confindence in me...!!

I think a lot of software from Microsoft is just plain crap!!

bookie32

On 4/10/2016 at 6:03 AM, bookie32 said:

I have had two computers in a row where the customer has bought Office 2016 Home and Business...(two different computers)...I have setup Outlook for their email etc and then turned of the computer when all updates are installed...

The customers have come to pick up their computers and what happens....I start them to show them the new features of office 2016...and on both computers it has stopped working and I have had to reinstall the software....

Do you have any idea what might be causing Office 2016 to malfunction like that? I'm interested to know why being that I'm still on 2007 but thinking about getting a newer version of Office.

Crap Meter Update, Sad and Glad:  An Insider Windows 10 Insider Update, the second in a row, completed in Less than an hour, download, install and restart.  That was the sad part.  This Insider Windows 10 is running by way of Boot Camp on the 10 year old MacBook with the 1TB SSD.  This is the glad part.

The update was Build 14316.  None of the old problems have shown up or no new ones either.  Windows 10 must really like Apples.  The Crap Meter needle has gone down in the positive field of the Apple.  There's a smile on the old guys face.

I had to use system restore for the third time because the usb ports won't being recognized at all...no drivers were changed. My Windows ME laptop can recognize flash drives just fine, what the heck Microsoft? You can't design your own latest operating system to use basic usb technology properly, over time, that was introduced over 16 years ago?

11 hours ago, Shining Escuridao said:

Do you have any idea what might be causing Office 2016 to malfunction like that? I'm interested to know why being that I'm still on 2007 but thinking about getting a newer version of Office.

Sorry, no idea...

If I was to ring their support I would get a very helpful person telling me to repair or reinstall....this time as soon as I started the Outlook it discovered a problem and a I and I tried running "Repair"....but of course this does not just check Outlook but the whole of  Home & Business...so, the I had to wait while it did its thingy...It removed all the icons in the toolbar and when it was finished they reappeared again.....

Sorry If I confused any one by saying that I reinstalled office myself...

I was hooked up to one of my customers that I mentioned to fix other things yesterday...It would seem in Microsoft's infinite wisdom Picture Manager disappeared in Office 2013 and then 2016....

Microsoft is always removing things that customers love for their own good....:w00t:

When I checked this with Microsoft I was told "Yes, that is true but you can edit your pics with Word"..............?!!

Try explainig that to a customer....

I fixed the Picture Manager by taking a copy from Office 2010...I know, I am a bad boy...:ph34r:

Another thing is when I was looking for a program I usually install in all customer computers I noticed that their was nothing apart from tools in the Microsoft Office directory...the software was automatically reinstalled by running repair but it has left Word, Excel, Powerpoint etc in the main menu and not its own directory...?!!

Once again this is the Big Brother attitude deciding what is best for us mentality...:D

My customer doesn't want me to reinstall the software at the moment because things are working...but it does make you wonder why the Office Repair Tool did that....

bookie32