Official - Windows 10 Worst Crap Ever!

bookie32

On 2/26/2016 at 3:17 PM, helpdesk98 said:

thanks for the update BudwS!

Win 10 Home is installed on a 10-year old MacBook running OS X 10.7.5!

I admit that it took me 3 days of study and experimenting to find the correct procedure to accomplish the goal. Working thru software like Parallels, VirtualBox VM for Mac and Boot Camp.  Also had to find out if the Mac was a 32-bit or a 64-bit computer.  Finally settled on Boot Camp using 32-bit Windows.  Also, replaced the HDD with a 1TB SSD.  This Win 10 will also be an Insider computer.

Now, we'll see if Win 10 runs more stable on the Mac than the several PCs I've tried it on.  PCs with Win 10 usually self destructed within a week or two.

Edited by BudwS
Windows Update worked.

Hi guys!

Been busy here....;)

Well, I am losing count of the computers that I have reset from Windows 10 to '7 or '8.1....

I gave this thread a good title and it suits!!

I even had a customer yesterday that had her computer upgraded till '10 and came to me the day afterwards....I backed up her files that (she hadn't done of course) and then used the so called reset from Microsoft that has only ever worked once...

It restarted and went into repair mode because it couldn't start Windows 7....It never came out of that mode working....

So, as always I just set the computer back to factory settings and start from there...

Microsoft has lost the plot and even if there come fixes and upgrades...why release a beta version in the first place....because let's face it it is a beta version....

I can't see Microsoft changing anything and it is just a waste of time thinking they will....

I am now getting a gentle flow of customers going over to Mac....who can blame them!

I will be doing the same When Windows 7 dies...

bookie32

Crap meter update, new Win 10 understanding.  The Start Menu issue that many thought to be a Win 10 program bug may be just a software parameter change by MS.  Many may already know this but if Win 10 is placed into Tablet mode, the Start Menu icon is disabled.  Another tech showed me the parameter control item that changes Tablet mode.  As of yesterday when the Start Menu stops working, I'll look to change the parameter to disable Tablet mode.  As soon as Tablet mode was disabled on the non-tablet computer, the Start Menu resumed its normal function.  Perhaps what happened in the past is that a Windows Update changed the Tablet parameter without an information message to explain the feature change.  The initial thought was that the update broke the PC when the parameter change rendered some non-tablet PCs to quit working.  A lot of Insiders seem to have missed this change, myself included.  The Crap Meter dropped down a bit with this new to me information.

The MacBook now has 32-bit Windows 10 under Boot Camp, 64-bit Windows 7 under VM and standard OS X 10.7.5 as Host.  All seem to be working well.

Hi guys!

Because I was forced to reinstall two of my computers because of a dodgy image I created some time back...

Anyway, I have monitored the updates all the way and not allow Windows to update itself...

You can understand my surprise today when I started my works computer and to see the familiar Windows 10 icon....

What is even more strange Windows update had been reset to automatic updates....

Do Microsoft really think this is the way to get people to upgrade to this crap?!!!

Even if I monitor the updates Microsoft seems to have got around that.....?!

Am I missing something here...has this already been discussed?

Just plain fed up with Microsoft and the crap you have to deal with!!

bookie32

To the OP, I could not agree more!  

After you get out a matrix of the 9,000 licensing upgrade/sidegrade BS for the "Last version of Windows you will......OMFingGOD, I pray this is not reality......ever need ever be damned plagued with" and actually get the cute little mobile phone OS booted on your desktop PC, it then only takes 10 minutes forever for your eyes to adjust as you ask yourself "did I somehow accidentally burn the 27 yr old Windows 3.1 on this install CD....where the f$%^# did the Aero transparency, gradients, high tech effects that I patiently waited almost 30 years for and finally got with WIN7....go?!?!"  But that's okay, there are at least still the 32million SEVEN other colors to choose for my windows.  Followed by a bit of "Why did it used to take two clicks and mouse motion to run my program from the start menu and now it takes 4 clicks, some scrolling and a ton of reading to find and run them now?!?".  But that's okay let's to to the one thing that wasn't broken, never really needs to change much, good old Windows Explorer to open my files.  Whoops, WTF is this "File Explorer" thing?  Hmm, they renamed it that must mean it's more efficient now.  Nice ribbon - now it is only 9 clicks for me to do anything that previously took 1 click - NICE!  This will certainly help add a ton of unnecessary churn at work my employer who also bought 100,000 copies of this OS is certain to be thrilled with these (slow WAAYYY down) anti-productivity improvements!  Topped off finally with "if my godd@m doopie took a doopie, it might look much like this WIN10 OS" <reaching for the WIN7 install CD>.

Yes, I too share the OP's pain.

14 hours ago, bookie32 said:

Hi guys!

Am I missing something here...has this already been discussed?

Just plain fed up with Microsoft and the crap you have to deal with!!

bookie32

A forum somewhere said that Win 10 UP^ put the update in the optional category but checked the optional for installation.  However, I think that the MS crew is reading the forums and learning how to get past the end user workarounds that have been developed.  Maybe MS^^ is hiring some good hackers lately?   [Win1x, you've been hac~~~!]

Hi Budws!

I personally will not bow down to Microsoft pressure....:w00t:

More and more of my customers are ringing and saying..."but I didn't say yest to Windows 10" A while back a Mac wouldn't have been an alternative for many...but now it is talked about because they are just plain fed up with being forced into something they don't want.

I even subscribe to a computer magazine here in Sweden called Datormagazin...I sent in many mails about why they don't write about the negative side of Windows 10 and what Microsoft has been up to....it seems I wasn't the only one to think that....but their response was half hearted and nothing one could get ones teath into...:ph34r:

Only time will tell...

bookie32

I talked to a guy who runs the computers for a small fire station he upgraded willingly to Windows 10 and likes it. :huh: I asked him why and didn't really get an answer we got off topic talking about start menu replacements. Then I brought up the build updates that happen every 4 months or so that reset settings. I asked how he managed that again he didn't really have an answer but seemed to be concerned. It was an interesting conversation to say the least.

-helpdesk98

The Apple MacBook (Late 2006) is helping lower the Win 10 Crap Meter after installing the 1TB SSD to get some software wiggle room.  To date with OS X 10.7.5 Lion as the Host, 32-bit Windows 10 is installed as a Fast Track Insider running under Boot Camp.  Also, 32-bit Windows 7 Home Premium and 64-bit Windows 7 Professional are installed under Oracle for Mac VirtualBox VM.  Both of the Windows 7 installations are destined for Windows 10 when Windows Update sees fit.  So far all the operating systems are running OK.  As an old geek a smile is on my face as I help Microsoft with their Windows 10 project.  Windows update has not taken down the Apple Host as it did with the PC Host that I was using that Windows update destroyed software-wise.  Just another tester work-around enjoying computers and watching Windows 10 grow into a maybe stable product.  Might save up and buy a new Apple MacBook Pro and run an assortment of operating systems on the single piece of hardware.  Rather than getting upset with Microsoft, this new approach is fun, not irritating.  Crap Meter holding steady.
Edit:  3/29/16:  MacBook Now has 64-bit Linux Mint installed under VM so all the testing is available for comparisons.  Now I wonder if Surface also has the capability of running multiple operating systems.  Just another challenge to the old Crap Meter. 

My experience with Windows 10

Cousin's ex laptop w/ an i5 (Don't remember much besides the fact its newer laptop, Q4 2015):
Speedy and perfectly fine with an SSD! (So far after 6 months! Best record for Windows 10 properly working so far!) It was the only option besides Windows 8.1, my Windows 7 disk made an error on this one, I'm not sure if this is another false compatibility issue or something.
Cousin's current laptop:
It seems Windows 10 goes on and off, I can't really tell for sure since my cousin only spent one night at my house. Booting is slow and the speeds were slower than my 10 year old laptop. When it works, there's no problems, capable of running games fine without any crashes. Couldn't figure out why the laptop was so slow, little to no extra software was installed on the laptop. Desperately attempted to help my cousin by uninstalling any junky software that came with the machine and used processes. Seemed to help a little, but not too much of a difference. After waiting for a while the laptop works fine.
HP Pavilion All-in-One - 23-q127c:
Since December 25th, I've had to rollback Windows 10, twice thrice four times. One time the taskbar stopped responding, any shortcuts on the taskbar wouldn't work! Pressing the start menu button made no difference and didn't open, yet everything else worked. Another time, Windows 10 became horribly slow and somehow had a 100% disk with no tasks or extra processes open. Currently, everything works fine but the OS causes annoying slowness occasionally. Update: 4/13/16 I had to use system restore for the 3rd or 4th time now. I just remembered the very first time I had to use system restore was due to usb ports not working at all; sound would come if plugged in, but nothing worked. Don't understand Microsoft; even Windows ME can use USB just fine after months, Microsoft can't make technology over 16 years old work -_-
4/14/16 Update, this piece of junk OS won't recognize my phone anymore via usb! I expect this from Windows XP, not you, Windows 10 even your hated, older brother, Vista can do this! (Hahaha...I found out this was my fault, not Windows 10 for once. Whoops my bad!)
Dell Latitude e4310:
Not officially supported on this laptop, but worked mostly fine. The only difference I saw was Java instability, resulting in crashing. Wasn't any improvement for me.
Thinkpad R60:
I installed Windows 10 on this laptop at some point. This OS is just bloat, even Windows 7 could run fine on my weak, 10 year old laptop. Opening the task bar would risk in freezing the laptop and loading took forever. With Windows XP, this laptop worked fine and could actually browse the internet.
My Sister's samsung laptop:
Laptop is a bit old, 5 years, came with an i5 (I'm aware that i5's from 5 years ago are weaker than current ones). Windows 10 basically ruined her laptop! It automatically updated Windows 7 to Windows 10. At first, it wasn't so bad, but performance of the laptop only declined. The trackpad wouldn't properly work and always freaked out if touched. The laptop became SUPER slow without installing software. After using the EOM disk and resetting to Windows 7, the laptop works good as new.

What I dislike about Windows 10:

• Bloated, Windows XP used about 0% of my CPU on the R60, Windows 10 used 100%, Windows XP uses ~150mb ram, Windows 10 uses 1gb (I'm aware Vista and 7 similar amounts of ram, but c'mon! Even those two used less than 1gb on my "obsolete" laptop!)
  • Buggy (Taskbar not working at all, Will make a USB sound but won't recognize anything, Annoying occasional freezing for simple tasks that isn't found in other Windows OSes)
  • Looks like a downgrade compared to Windows Vista and even XP's icons look better than the metro theme
  • Microsoft's false incompatibilities, I'm pretty sure even Windows Vista is just as capable of 7 to run Office 2013. Microsoft just rips off customers like usual.
  • Bloated looking start menu
  • Cortana (Bugs which cause many things to go wrong and Cortana can only be hidden)

Microsoft should've kept Windows 10 in development longer. The only real benefit I can see from this OS is the appstore, but Windows 8.1 uses that too. Overall I give Windows 10 a 4/10, not an OS I would use, but works. Like usual, Microsoft pushes a incomplete, bloated product that won't be good until at least 2 years. Windows Vista was the same case as well, it wasn't stable at first according to many then improved when Service Pack 2 was finally released. For me, Vista works better than Windows 7 on my low end 2011 laptop, and its not even officially supported! I had to use Windows 7 drivers for Vista, Aero wouldn't work properly on 7, yet works on Vista!

Edited by ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~
Updated 5/11/2016

Hi guys!

To be fair Microsoft is quite good at releasing a new OS that isn't anywhere ready for the unsuspecting public....BUT that is no excuse for the way they have gone about it....

I am still getting a steady flow of customers that have Windows 10 with or without their consent....that need resetting to either Windows 8.1 or Windows 7...!!!

My customers share the same opinion as me....if we want the crap called Windows 10 then it is up to us to choose and not have it forced down our throats whether we like it or not...

Yes, I know many will say that Microsoft will survive this....insult to our intelligence...but why don't they try to be a bit more professional about it..

I keep saying that an upgrade is never a good idea and I have been proved right time and time again....it is hard trying to convince those that want Windows 10 to do a fresh install and start with a clean slate....It is just too expensive for the average Joe who doesn't know anything about computers...they live with their upgraded machines until they show signs of problems and then maybe I can convince them....;)

Even if they get most bugs ironed out with Windows 10...they will never get away from the fact they have caused countless thousands to have to buy new computers because they just stop working or resetting them/ reinstalling them to a previous version...In the past one accepted that Microsoft knew best....or the illusion that they do...but they are just plain arrogant!!

Why is the an end of life for Windows 10 according to Microsoft 2025? Does that mean we will finally be rid of Microsoft......;)

I like helping customers with their computer related problems of course they are charged for my time....what I don't like is making money out of them for Microsoft's arrogance!!!!

This  feeling that they just don't give a **** is not something that is just going to go away overnight....

bookie32

A small change in the Crap Meter ---- The Insider, Fast Track on the Apple MacBook did it's first Insider Windows Update!  The update actually completed!  This is exciting because in 9 months of Insider Windows Updates on the test PC, not one completed.  Most wiped out the running operating systems and required an iso install to recover.  The moral to this specific story is that if you want Windows 10 to function, install it on an Apple computer.