[SOLVED] Elan PS/2 Touchpad Driver for XP

Dave-H

According to Device Manager, the driver is using ETD.sys, and it is the version 15 one as substituted.
ETDCtrl.exe is running, as is the "Elan Service", but there is no sign of a control panel.

I will try again with the INF changes suggested.
I added the semicolons because that's how it is in the working version 15 INF.
:)

Edited by Dave-H
Addition

Tried again after removing the semicolons, with exactly the same result!
I think this might be because I'm using the ETD.sys and ETD.cat files from version 15.
I will try again with the originals.
:yes:

I see this in the modified .inf

[ETD_AddReg.HW]
HKR,,"UpperFilters",0x00010000,"ETD"

without a specified key for that value. Is it actually added anywhere? Start by checking the same path as for the Asus driver.

Also, there is this

HKLM,%HKLMRootPath%"\Elantech\OtherSetting",CustomerDefinition,%REG_DWORD%,4			; 0 = NONE, 1 = SONY, 2 = DELL, 3 = CLEVO, 4 = SAMSUNG, 5 = ASUS, 6 = ACER
HKLM,%HKLMRootPath%"\Elantech\UIFunctionOption",UI_Theme,%REG_DWORD%,4				; 0 = Mcpl UI, 1 = Animation UI, 2 = Dell UI, 3 = Dual Mode, 4 = Simple UI, 5 = ASUS UI

You might try changing the values to the Asus one.

Lots of other interesting values worth checking... if they're considered at all.

Also, you may have to add a GroupMap section for your device.

Check this section too - [ETD_HIDMouseIgnore.AddReg]

@jaclaz
Sorry I'd already uninstalled and reinstalled before I read your message, so I don't know what running those files would have done.
:no:

@RainyShadow
I've now reinstalled using the original ETD.sys and ETD.cat files, and it's back to as it was before, with an apparently functional control panel that doesn't actually change anything.
The "upper filters" value has not been added to the registry.
The others are there, and changing "4" to "5" just resulted in the "Touchpad" tab disappearing from the Mouse Properties!
What should I be checking in the "HIDMouseIgnore" registry key?
How do I add a "GroupMap" section?
:dubbio:

I tried changing ETD.sys for the file in version 15 of the driver, after installation, and that made the Mouse Properties "Touchpad" tab completely blank again!
It looks as if that version of ETD.sys, which is the only one I've seen work on 8.1, isn't compatible with this version of the software.
I suspect that the version of ETD.sys which is compatible doesn't work on 8.1.
:(

FWIW, I tried doing a driver update on the mouse in Device Manager, and tried pointing it at the INF file in version 15.
That has resulted in a fully working installation again, with the added bonus that the original control panel from the Samsung driver is still installed (presumably the file wasn't overwritten as it doesn't exist in the eversion 15 driver) and it still works, and the settings changes are remembered and now actually work.
I still also have access to the Elan control panel from the Mouse Properties tab, so I can now change the settings in two completely different interfaces!

It does look as if it needs version 15 of ETD.sys, but I was wondering if maybe it would be worth trying substituting all the version 15 exe and dll files in the working installation with their equivalents in the version 11 installation, and see if it still works with them? The version 15 files won't work on XP, but the version 11 ones might.

If you got all you wanted to work actually working, then, by all means, do a full image-backup before any further experiment. Once that is done, I don't see why not experimenting some more, even if just for the lulz. Just my 2¢, of course! :yes:

Well I'm happy with what I've got working on Windows 8.1, Windows XP is another matter though!
If I transplant the hopefully XP compatible executables (and dlls?) over to the working installation on 8.1, and it still works, I would be hopeful that it might work if transplanted to XP as well.
I think a lot depends on whether ETD.sys is XP compatible, as only the version 15 version seems to be able to talk to the hardware.

Well I tried transplanting the executables (not the dlls) and perhaps not surprisingly, it no longer works.
:no:

ETDCtrl.exe isn't running, although it's set to run from the registry, and if I start it manually, it appears in Task Manager for a few seconds, and then closes again.
:(

Well, transplanting the .exe without the corresponding .dll's is anyway very, very unlikely to work.

Each .exe needs to be traced, and see if it calls some function in this or that .dll, that actually exist in the specific .dll, etc.

jaclaz

A simple way to do that is to load an exe into DW and then profile it. DW will add to the tree any delayed (explicit) dependencies and warn of problems. The log will show what loaded last before the exe began unloading.

Separately, you can try upgrading XP with v.15 dlls (one at a time) while still using the .11 exe. Some might work.

That's definitely starting to look like "more trouble than it's worth" territory!
I will just try transplanting all the executables, and all the dlls across as well this time, just to see if the result is any different.

Actually, profiling with DW is very easy, and a skill every MSFN contributor should have in their debugging toolset.

If you meant testing at each step of the copying, please be patient and methodical. You'll be glad you did.

Thanks for the words of encouragement @jumper, I was starting to need them again!
I transferred the exe and dll files over, and needless to say it still didn't work.
ETDCtrl.exe is now running happily in the background, but the Elan tab in the Mouse Properties is completely blank again, which is worse than before!
With just the exe files transferred it still looked OK, even if the driver wasn't actually working.
I'll put things back to normal so we have a working installation with version 15, and we'll take it from there again!

Edited by Dave-H
Typo

OK, now working fine again on 8.1 with version 15 of the driver!
Can I just ask, before we start profiling exe files and dll files, surely there is absolutely no point in doing this if the problem is actually with ETD.sys?
From all the experimentation we've done, the only time that the driver has actually worked, even on Windows 8.1, is with the version 15 version of ETD.sys.
No others have worked on 8.1, and none at all have worked on XP of course, or we wouldn't still be here!
If version 15 of ETD.sys is the only one capable of actually recognising the hardware correctly, no amount of tinkering with the other files is going to do any good surely?
Also if that version of ETD.sys is incompatible with XP in some way, and cannot be made compatible, there's no point anyway because it still won't work, even if all the other files are loaded and running correctly.