[SOLVED] Elan PS/2 Touchpad Driver for XP

Dave-H

OK, I renamed dud.exe to dwmapi.dll, and put it in system32.

Now I'm getting from AsusTPCenter.exe "The application failed to initiate properly (0x000007b). Click on OK to terminate the application."

:dubbio:

Edited by Dave-H

25 minutes ago, RainyShadow said:

Well, i tried modding the damn app, but it's of no use. Select binaries from the One-Core-API didn't help either.

Then tried to install it on my Win7 netbook, but it fails...

That's worrying, surely it doesn't need Windows 8 or 10!
I was rather hoping that it would work on Vista if I end up going that way.
The 6/0 6/0 6/0 entries in the files imply that it will work on Vista.

39 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

That's worrying, surely it doesn't need Windows 8 or 10!

It needs hardware with the proper IDs, I can't add mine unless i modify the installer.

Anyways, did you try to monitor better what AsusTPCenter.exe does? Maybe you missed something...

Ah right.
I've been looking and it doesn't seem to say anywhere that Asus Smart Gesture will work on Vista, I'll just have to hope for the best if I end up going there!
I have found a graphics driver that will do the job I hope!
I'm not sure how I can check AsusTPCenter.exe any more deeply, as far as I can see if it can't be made to run on XP that's the end of that line of attack anyway, at it certainly seems to be necessary to load the settings into the driver.

29 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

I'm not sure how I can check AsusTPCenter.exe any more deeply

On 4/16/2020 at 6:42 PM, RainyShadow said:

About cloning settings from Win8 to XP, you can try starting the configuration applet through Revo Uninstaller or a similar tool, as if you're installing a new program. Then open the log to see what exactly changed.

18 hours ago, RainyShadow said:

About cloning settings from Win8 to XP, you can try starting the configuration applet through Revo Uninstaller or a similar tool, as if you're installing a new program. Then open the log to see what exactly changed.

I installed Revo Uninstaller on 8.1, and ran the Asus Smart Gesture Launcher process (the only one listed for the program) from the Autorun Manager section.
It said it wasn't running, so I assume it runs at startup and then closes when it's done its job.
I'm not at all familiar with Revo Uninstaller, but I couldn't immediately see any other relevant options to start anything.
The only thing is, I can't find any logs anywhere. Does Revo Uninstaller actually make logs itself, or were you referring to another log somewhere else?

On 4/16/2020 at 6:42 PM, RainyShadow said:

You can use another similar utility. You should also try Process Monitor, but in addition to this, not as a replacement.

Imagine that AsusTPCenter.exe is the installer for some program. In Revo click on "Install programs", browse to the .exe and select it. It will get started (along with a CPU usage spike due to monitoring).

Avoid using other unrelated programs to get a cleaner log.

When you confirm that your touchpad settings got loaded, exit or kill AsusTPCenter.exe and click the floppy icon to save a log. You can examine it in the "Traced programs" tab (right click > "Edit log"). Look for registry entries you didn't pay attention to before, also for writes to some sort of configuration file.

Do the same with Process Monitor. Close all unneeded programs first.

Start capturing and run AsusTPCenter.exe. When touchpad behaviour changes, stop the capture and save the full log with all events in .PML format.

Thanks again.
I'm sure I'm being really stupid here, but how do you install a program using Revo Uninstaller?
I can't see any such option. It doesn't seem to be mentioned in the help file either. Where exactly is it?

Ummm, Doh moment here, sorry :D

I just checked and my free version 1.8.5 of Revo Uninstaller is quite lacking compared to the Pro version 3.1.9 i use most of the time :P It only has the uninstall function...

Well, i did say "or a similar tool". What do you have that can monitor program installs (and create a log)?

Quickly looking in my programs, i have:

Revo Uninstaller Pro - real-time monitoring; Records all changes (with exclude filter);

"Smarty Uninstaller 4 (GiveawayOfTheDay.com version)" - pre-install and post-install snapshot, probably won't be useful for our purpose;

InCtrl5 - pre-install and post-install snapshot, but may be useful; Works on Win9x and XP, not sure about Win8.1 though; Slooow!

Process Monitor - real-time monitoring; lots of manual work needed;

Sandboxie - real-time monitoring; Some tweaking may be needed;

Googling for InCtrl5 gives some interesting results, i.e. https://www.raymond.cc/blog/tracking-registry-and-files-changes-when-installing-software-in-windows/view-all/

Ah, that would explain it if that option is only in the Pro version of Revo Uninstaller!
I have Process Monitor, but none of the otters.
I will look into InCtrl5 and see if that will do the job.
:)

OK, the report generated by InCtrl5 is attached.
It was running in Windows XP compatibility mode, and yes, it was very slow!
I told it artificially that the install had completed as of course it was never going to complete by itself.
I hope if may provide some clues as to what AsusTPCenter.exe actually does!
:)
RPT_0000.HTM