[SOLVED] Elan PS/2 Touchpad Driver for XP

Dave-H

OK, both Windows 8.1 and Windows XP are completely cleared of all touchpad drivers now, at least as far as I can see, both files and registry entries.
The touchpad is just using the basic Microsoft PS/2 mouse driver on both of them.
I have driver versions 11.5.0.9 and 11.5.20.3 ready to go, and the rest hidden away.
11.5.20.3 was one of the two that I've had working on 8.1 (the other being 15.14.4.1).
Off to bed now, but ready to take up the fray again tomorrow!
Cheers,
Dave.
:)

Ok, let's see if we can re-cap.

The "main" three drivers are:
Z11509 source: http://ftp.tekwind.co.jp/pub/asustw/nb/Drivers/Touchpad/Touchpad_Elantech_Win7_32_Z11509.zip
Z11521 source: http://ftp.tekwind.co.jp/pub/asustw/nb/Drivers/Touchpad/Touchpad_Elantech_Win7_32_Z11521.zip
Z115203-cab source: http://download.windowsupdate.com/d/msdownload/update/driver/drvs/2015/09/20755834_3604917b6f0540c8262602489fffab4fff64986a.cab

In theory I can see no reason why the Z11509 or the Z11521 shouldn't install on 8.1, as they both have the ETD0108 as "ETD_STD_Inst" AND they have a NTx86.6.2 provision (that though aimed to Windows 8 should be good as well for 8.1 :unsure:), in practice they do not work in 8.1.
Still in theory these two should also - at first sight - install on XP.

The Z115203-cab on the other hand is the one (and only) driver of the "11" series that installed on 8.1 (but NOT on XP).

As a matter of fact in this latter there are a number of .exe's and .dll's that have Major/Minor OS/Subsystem 6.0 (and not 5.1 as the two former ones).

As always there is a chance that the 6.0 is "artificially" introduced by a new version of the compiler, i.e. the actual code can work in 5.1 but has been "tagged" 6.0 onwards by the default settings of the compiler.

If this is the case, changing the OS/subsystem version to 5.1 may have them installed on XP, otherwise, it is again the case of attempting a new Frankendriver, replacing in the Z115203-cab the relevant files coming from Z11521.

I do not know a fast/easy method to understand if these .dll's/.exe's make any call to post-XP functions in System .dll's. :(

Check the attached spreadsheet.

The First_compare is an incomplete initial attempt, ignore it.

The Second_compare is a comparison of the actual "main files" (excluding .avi, .ttf, ,tx_, etc.), that is the relevant info.

Proposed approach:
a. change all the 6.0 in Z115203-cab to 5.1 via CFF explorer (of course make a copy, etc.)
b. attempt installing the modified Z115203-cab on 8.1 <- the only sensible way is - I believe - via Device Manager "Have disk" forcing the install
c. see if it works (it should)

Questions:

1) what (the heck) is Sensepoint.exe?
2) what files are not actually used in the operation of the driver/touchpad (and that can thus be removed from the .inf, together with the .avi, the .ttf and the .tx_)?
You need to trace in detail the behaviour of the driver, via Filemon, Regmon, Procmon, Dependency Walker, etc.

Next step:
d. uninstall (in 8.1)
e. remove from the .inf the lines that are not connected to ETD0108 and the lines connected to the .avi, .ttf and tx_) and remove the corresponding files from the driver source folder
f. attempt re-installing
g. if it works, remove the .exe's and .dll's that are not *needed* from the .inf and from the source folder
h. repeat, uninstall and reinstall until you have the least possible number of files in the source and the smaller possible .inf
i. when you are convinced that you cannot shrink further the source, try installing on the XP. 

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Wow, thank you so much @jaclaz!
That spreadsheet must have involved a huge amount of work!

OK, I will try your "proposed approach" and report back.
I will try to give as much detail as I can on what the result is.
Cheers, Dave.

Edited by Dave-H
Typo

OK, I did that, using Device Manager, and it worked, so the modified version of 11.5.20.3 is installed and fine on 8.1.
:yes:
I noticed that many of the files had the Major and Minor Image Version set to zero.
I changed them all to 5/1.
The INF offered two "Elan Input Device" options, I used the first one, I don't know if the other one would have been any different.
The system tray icon and the control panel are the Asus Smart Gesture ones, not the Elan ones, and there is no extra tab on the Mouse Properties, so this is an early version of Asus Smart Gesture.

Good. :)

Now - your choice - you can try directly installing this "as is" on XP (this is a shortcut, but if it works, it works).

Before that, answer Question #1:

3 hours ago, jaclaz said:

Questions:

1) what (the heck) is Sensepoint.exe?
2) what files are not actually used in the operation of the driver/touchpad (and that can thus be removed from the .inf, together with the .avi, the .ttf and the .tx_)?
You need to trace in detail the behaviour of the driver, via Filemon, Regmon, Procmon, Dependency Walker, etc.

AND try the DellTouchPad.exe (which is seemingly self standing AND surely works in XP) and see if it can make the changes AND if the changes are remembered/are effective in the touchpad behaviour.

1 hour ago, Dave-H said:

The system tray icon and the control panel are the Asus Smart Gesture ones, not the Elan ones, and there is no extra tab on the Mouse Properties, so this is an early version of Asus Smart Gesture.

Sure it is, it is probably the last *all elantech* driver for ASUS hardware (ETD0108) before ASUS finished ruining the stupid software with their fork.

See:

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1009643/

Now, please :)STOP §@ç#ing calling things with their "screen name" (that noone but you can see), the "control panel" is EITHER ASUS_UI.exe/ASUS_UI_Win8.exe or SOME OTHER file, what matters is the actual file that is in use, not the "screen name".

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz
added reference to stupid ASUS FAQ

Sorry, the control panel that runs when it's invoked on 8.1 is Asus_UI_Win8.exe.
The only background program that seems to be running according to Task Manger is ETDCtrl.exe.

I will try installing it on XP the same way I did on 8.1 and report back.
Sensepoint.exe says it's "ETD Point Stick Control Panel Extensions".
I guess "Point Stick" is some sort of hardware, perhaps like a laser pointer or somesuch.
Whatever it is, I haven't got it!
:dubbio:

Edited by Dave-H
Addition

2 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

Sorry, the control panel that runs when it's invoked on 8.1 is Asus_UI_Win8.exe.
The only background program that seems to be running according to Task Manger is ETDCtrl.exe.

I will try installing it on XP the same way I did on 8.1 and report back.

DO BEFORE THAT answer the question AND try the DellTouchpad.exe on this install.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

5 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

Sensepoint.exe says it's "ETD Point Stick Control Panel Extensions".
I guess "Point Stick" is some sort of hardware, perhaps like a laser pointer or somesuch.
Whatever it is, I haven't got it!
:dubbio:

Maybe it is that small read thingy in the middle of the keyboard  that you often find in IBM/Lenovo laptops? :unsure:

jaclaz

Sorry, our posts crossed, I added the information about Sensepoint.exe to my last post.
Running it brings up a window with a picture of a keyboard with some sort of round device between the G, H, and B keys.
It must be some hardware device which I haven't got.

DellTpad.exe runs but doesn't seem to change the settings.
:no:

2 minutes ago, jaclaz said:

Maybe it is that small read thingy in the middle of the keyboard  that you often find in IBM/Lenovo laptops? :unsure:

jaclaz

Yes, that's almost certainly it!

Just now, Dave-H said:

Sorry, our posts crossed, I added the information about Sensepoint.exe to my last post.
Running it brings up a window with a picture of a keyboard with some sort of round device between the G, H, and B keys.
It must be some hardware device which I haven't got.

DellTpad.exe runs but doesn't seem to change the settings.
:no:

Good (meaning bad) so, since the  Asus_UI_Win8.exe has not a provision (that I could see) to change the setting you want to change, you will need to edit the Registry. :dubbio:

jaclaz

There was a Samsung (?) control panel in one of the other drivers IIRC, I could try that but I suspect it will be the same.

Asus_UI_Win8.exe changes all the settings fine on 8.1, but whether it will work on XP I don't know.

Edited by Dave-H
Addition

34 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

Asus_UI_Win8.exe changes all the settings fine on 8.1, but whether it will work on XP I don't know.

The point I was trying to make is that the Asus_UI.exe (which *somehow* runs on my XP, and that will surely run on your XP), MISSES a huge number of possible settings, among them - seemingly - the one you want to change (TapEnable).

jaclaz

55 minutes ago, Dave-H said:
57 minutes ago, jaclaz said:

jaclaz

Yes, that's almost certainly it!

That thingy is called TrackPoint a.k.a. pointing stick. Some coworkers jokingly call it "clit", lol.

17 minutes ago, jaclaz said:
54 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

The point I was trying to make is that the Asus_UI.exe (which *somehow* runs on my XP, and that will surely run on your XP), MISSES a huge number of possible settings, among them - seemingly - the one you want to change (TapEnable).

It is also possible that the program will just skip the registry settings it doesn't recognize, and forward to the driver only the known ones.

Make sure to change multiple settings and don't rely only on TapEnable for confirming if the program works.

35 minutes ago, RainyShadow said:

That thingy is called TrackPoint a.k.a. pointing stick. Some coworkers jokingly call it "clit", lol.

LOL! I think I can see why! :D

ETDSimpleUI_Win8.exe, which was included with the Samsung driver 4.9.0.0 does work, and can change all the settings just as the Asus control panel does.
I'm running in "high" DPI mode as otherwise everything is tiny on the screen, and DellTpad.exe is one of those programs which doesn't cope with that, the interface is cropped and distorted and some buttons are hidden, so would really rather not carry on using it.
I'll report back on what happens with XP very soon!