[WIP] Windows Vista Extended Kernel

win32

10 minutes ago, D.Draker said:

That's exactly what I did , and what I got in return , except for rudeness and total lack of respect , not to mention him going off-topic ? I'm definitely getting a very cold welcome here , now from this supervisor too . Yet I didn't do anything against the rules and was polite in every topic . Is it something personal ? Why did you just backed him up ? You took his side for what ? Not even a word or a warning for being rude and staiyng off-topic ? Well, that's a good example for other members. I simply won't take any blame for asking him to translate his local language into English .

Are any other supervisors reading this ? I mean @dencorso 

It's not like they killed your dog or something, this is too much for a basic everyone knows the error message argument.

3 hours ago, Jaguarek62 said:

How did I went off topic?? I'm asking about api missing in ntdll

I really don't understand why are you so angry? I said sorry, didn't want to make yout this mad. but I was not off topic. I really have no idea why this is getting so intense right now :wacko:

You went off-topic with several replies (arguing about translation) , which is clearly visible to the others . Staying on topic means not arguing about other matters too . I told ya , I heard you the first time , no need to argue , just stop , yet you starting this again and dragging me into this nonsense again . I really hope the moderators will remove all of these . It's already hard to find the info regarding the topic. This one will pollute it too . About "I'm sorry " , fine , thanks , apologies accepted , just stop writing about this , please , everyone wants to read about kernel , respect others too .

10 hours ago, 32bitforever said:

Hello and thank you for the great welcome. I would use the x86 version as "office" only, so Chromium or Firefox and a recent version of the Office package. I know there are compatible browsers (like MyPal) but it will never be the same experience as popular browsers.

PS. I will ask @win32 for the new KernelEx right now, I stayed at the one from October and I'm curious to try the news.
It would be very useful to create a site even with some free site with news and downloads rather than using a forum, in my opinion.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

I see , and yes , it would be a good idea to go to our own website , I'm getting a very cold welcome here anyways , I think you need to ask win32 personally . I will go. About the browsers , I know 360explorer with removed telemetry [!] could be a good alternative for using on x86 machine.

3 hours ago, asdf2345 said:

It's not like they killed your dog or something, this is too much for a basic everyone knows the error message argument.

An unknown ancient wiseman once told "First they will insult you and/or your language , then they will kill your dog , then {one could guess}"

Most of you were so busy beating this poor new guy up {what is it , some sort of a tradition?} , but no one bothered to comment on the link he sent, regarding the error with that function. Search that page for "RtlUTF8ToUnicodeN" , without quotes.

To steer this back to kernel discussion, I saw the ReactOS code. However, as I am not under the same restrictions for code usage that ReactOS has, I will try with the Windows 7 version of the function first, in both ntdll and ntoskrnl.

January 2021. Before that, there is a possible solution to the kernel32 x86 problems I have discovered. I now have a hunch that putting any code after rsrc and reloc (in addition to the export table) is a recipe for disaster so I will have to rework the file with the export tables and code all before rsrc/reloc.

Edited by win32

37 minutes ago, D.Draker said:

Are any other supervisors reading this ? I mean @dencorso 

Well, @Jaguarek62 was right when presuming people here would be familiar with any of the standard messages from any module of an NT-Family OS, simply because it actually is a reusable template commonly seen, as @asdf2345 nicely explained.

21 hours ago, asdf2345 said:

The template is literally:

"The procedure entry point (Function) could not be located in the dynamic link library (dll)."

For that one screenshot, it'd be:

"The procedure entry point RtlUTF8ToUnicodeN could be not be located in the dynamic link library ntdll.dll."

Bear with me, please, your going like ...

37 minutes ago, D.Draker said:

That's exactly what I did , and what I got in return , except for rudeness and total lack of respect , not to mention him going off-topic ? I'm definitely getting a very cold welcome here , now from this supervisor too . Yet I didn't do anything against the rules and was polite in every topic . Is it something personal ? Why did you just backed him up ? You took his side for what ? Not even a word or a warning for being rude and staiyng off-topic ? Well, that's a good example for other members. I simply won't take any blame for asking him to translate his local language into English.

... with all due respect and wishing to cause no offense but just state a known fact, just shows how people from the younger generations are more sensitive than us old timers. While you're right about the rules and all, you're failing to factor in the different generational sensibilities (we have members ranging from tweeners to 80+ years old, here at MSFN) : *nobody* here wanted to disrespect you nor offend you, and your participation is quite welcome, but older people like me tend to be seen as rude by younger people, nowadays, when, in fact, we just mean to be straightforward. :)

10 minutes ago, win32 said:

To steer this back to kernel discussion, I saw the ReactOS code. However, as I am not under the same restrictions for code usage that ReactOS has, I will try with the Windows 7 version of the function first, in both ntdll and ntoskrnl.

January 2021. Before that, there is a possible solution to the kernel32 x86 problems I have discovered. I now have a hunch that putting any code after rsrc and reloc (in addition to the export file) is a recipe for disaster so I will have to rework the file with the export tables and code all before rsrc/reloc.

Maybe that might have caused ntdll issues as well, but I don't know how you tested modifying the file

9 minutes ago, asdf2345 said:

Maybe that might have caused ntdll issues as well, but I don't know how you tested modifying the file

Those are unrelated issues, as ntdll in this case is x64 and kernel32 is x86. Just decided to jam them into the same post.

ntdll on x64 is settled for now, but kernel32 on x86 is far from it, as we all know. PE32 files have some special undocumented rules that PE32+ ones don't.

I knew that something was truly wrong when VLC x86 started to fail with calls to RtlSetThreadErrorMode, similar to the problems with NtQuery* functions reported back in July. (sorry, I can barely type today)

Edited by win32

5 minutes ago, dencorso said:

Well, @Jaguarek62 was right when presuming people here would be familiar with any of the standard messages from any module of an NT-Family OS, simply because it actually is a reusable template commonly seen, as @asdf2345 nicely explained.

Bear with me, please, your going like ...

... with all due respect and wishing to cause no offense but just state a known fact, just shows how people from the younger generations are more sensitive than us old timers. While you're right about the rules and all, you're failing to factor in the different generational sensibilities (we have members ranging from tweeners to 80+ years old, here at MSFN) : *nobody* here wanted to disrespect you nor offend you, and your participation is quite welcome, but older people like me tend to be seen as rude by younger people, nowadays, when, in fact, we just mean to be straightforward. :)

I can understand most of this stuff, and can understand why some people might not understand some things. So that's why I decided to post that message. I was going to wait until somebody else did, but nobody else did.

I do dislike the mentality of you must have 300 IQ or you will not be welcome.

6 minutes ago, win32 said:

Those are unrelated issues, as ntdll in this case is x64 and kernel32 is x86. Just decided to jam them into the same post.

ntdll on x64 is settled for now, but kernel32 on x86 is far from it, as we all know. PE32 files have some special undocumented rules that PE32+ ones don't.

I knew that something was truly wrong when VLC x86 started to fail with calls to RtlSetThreadErrorMode, similar to the problems with NtQuery* functions reported back in July. (sorry, I can barely type today)

I meant try putting the code before rsrc/reloc in x64 ntdlll.

Modded native ntdll is better than having to modify every Firefox update.

2 minutes ago, asdf2345 said:

I meant try putting the code before rsrc/reloc in x64 ntdlll.

Modded native ntdll is better than having to modify every Firefox update.

I kinda tried that, by changing a couple of empty bytes at the end of the existing .text section. Even with the digital signature removed, code integrity and driver signing enforcement disabled, it caused a BSOD.

My implementation is better in some ways than the original ntdll, as it can be local redirected. which can quite be important for difficult version checks.

Though I do want a patcher that can change all instances of "ntdll" in a file to "ntext". A script to latch onto firefox.exe to do just that, allowing you to run it in seconds.

4 hours ago, dencorso said:

and your participation is quite welcome, but older people like me tend to be seen as rude by younger people, nowadays, when, in fact, we just mean to be straightforward

Thank you very much , that's what I wanted to hear ! You sound very wise . I totally agree with you about this generations thingy , so I will assume @Jaguarek62 just overreacted a bit , I mean him being younger and stuff . I promise you , I will just ignore such things in the future.