Make Smartphone Appear as USB Storage?

FantasyAcquiesce

Supported Operating System

Windows Vista, Windows XP
o Windows XP or Windows Vista, Visual Studio 2005 SP1

I downloaded it, but the readme didn't look promising. WMP10 and 11 and a special USB controller are required for testing. Someone would have to get the SDK working on XP (or later) and then see if a custom client can be created for 9x/ME.

This is my workaround, together with Total Commander for Android (free!).

Using an USB-drive with normal and with micro-USB-connection.

BTW: not all smartphones can mount an USB-drive!

Edited by deomsh
Deleted picture because of depleting my size limit already

Does anyone know a good workaround for apple iphones too? I've had many headaches attempting to help my mother with her faulty apple iphone; it keeps stopping during a photo transfer to the pc.:wacko:

Android's workarounds are fine (FTP, online storage, OTG USB adapter with flash drive), but the iphone is a whole new story: the freaking thing doesn't even have an option to share/transfer galleries, attempting to upload into google drive and mega fails too. The iphone is a jailhouse of a "smartphone" e.e

Edited by ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~

41 minutes ago, MERCURY127 said:

what? for iphones no even FTP server apps?
if so - use jailbreak, Luke!

It is his mom's iphone, it is already surprising she allows him to touch it :w00t:, let alone jailbreak it.

Imagine - just imagine - that while attempting the jailbreak process the phone bricks  ... :ph34r:

jaclaz

2 hours ago, jaclaz said:

It is his mom's iphone, it is already surprising she allows him to touch it :w00t:, let alone jailbreak it.

Imagine - just imagine - that while attempting the jailbreak process the phone bricks  ... :ph34r:

jaclaz

WELL THAT'S WHY YOU BACKUP YOUR STUFFS

also when my mum asks me to help with her phone, it's the most stupid questions lol

• 1 month later...
On 11/11/2019 at 2:44 AM, ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~ said:

Does anyone know a good workaround for apple iphones too? I've had many headaches attempting to help my mother with her faulty apple iphone; it keeps stopping during a photo transfer to the pc.:wacko:

Android's workarounds are fine (FTP, online storage, OTG USB adapter with flash drive), but the iphone is a whole new story: the freaking thing doesn't even have an option to share/transfer galleries, attempting to upload into google drive and mega fails too. The iphone is a jailhouse of a "smartphone" e.e

I have the iphone 10xr and have been reluctantly using cloud storage for PC access of media.  I just discovered the SanDisk iXpand flash drive model SDiX40n, courtesy of my wife.  You have to use the SanDisk  app to back up media to the drive but stores it on FAT32 so Windows 98, with nusb 3.6 sees it as a Usb storage device.  I find it much more convenient than using cloud services.  I had to tweak some camera settings because "live" pics save as .mov files which can be annoying when all you want is a pic on a PC.

Back to Android, besides using the app, it's possible to manipulate several files to achieve the desired effect (root needed, assuming Linux kernel in use has USB mass storage functionality compiled in):

• /sys/class/android_usb/android0/enable - write 0 or 1 in here to disable/enable USB functionality (needs to be disabled to be able to write to other files).
  • /sys/class/android_usb/android0/f_mass_storage/lun/file - write the path to block device that you want to expose through USB mass storage, external SD card's first partition should be /dev/block/mmcblk1p1
  • /sys/class/android_usb/android0/functions - USB functions to enable, some possible values are mtp, mass_storage and adb. Multiple values can be separated by comma.
su
echo 0 > /sys/class/android_usb/android0/enable
echo /dev/block/mmcblk1p1 > /sys/class/android_usb/android0/f_mass_storage/lun/file
echo adb,mass_storage > /sys/class/android_usb/android0/functions
echo 1 > /sys/class/android_usb/android0/enable

These commands (need Terminal Emulator app) will make SD card appear just like any USB flash drive on the computer and enable ADB support at the same time (equivalent to having USB debugging checkbox ticked in developer settings on the phone).

It's a good idea to unmount SD card in the storage settings first, though depending on the usage (eg. only reading from it), one might be able to get away without unmounting it and causing havoc on the card's file system.