On decommissioning of update servers for 2000, XP, (and Vista?) as of July 2019

Mcinwwl

1 hour ago, Dave-H said:

Yes thanks, I found that.
Unfortunately, everything he did to fix it, I've already tried, in some cases several times, and it didn't fix it!

By the way I have to tell you that the last time I had reinstalled Windows XP Professional was in 2004. Most of all errors I fixed in my system by myself. I hate errors and I have to get rid of them.That's my philosophy. Since 2004 I used constantly images to restore system partition only if nothing helped. Maybe that is a reason I've got some certificates and files in my system you do not have.

Edited by AstroSkipper
correction

7 minutes ago, Dixel said:

Windows XP Professional release date October 25, 2001.

You're absolutely right. I mixed up the date with Windows ME. I've checked my earliest image and it must have been created in 2004 but it doesn't exist any more. I had deleted all old images below Service Pack SP3. So my earliest version is of 2009. It had been a long time ago. Sorry for causing confusion!

8 hours ago, maile3241 said:

No, I do not think so. It also works fine for me. Is wuweb.dll already registered?

Yes, it is. It seems to need a file called wsus3.inf from Windows XP from looking in the log. I copied the file over, and now I get a different error. I am using Windows Update Agent 7.6.7600.320

3 minutes ago, xpandvistafan said:

Yes, it is. It seems to need a file called wsus3.inf from Windows XP from looking in the log. I copied the file over, and now I get a different error. I am using Windows Update Agent 7.6.7600.320

What operating system have you tried?

8 hours ago, Dave-H said:

I'm sure I had it before, I recognise the icon, so I assumed I had used it!
You've made me doubt now.

Maybe you really used it before. I already recommended it some posts before:

Edited by AstroSkipper
correction

2 hours ago, maile3241 said:

@xpandvistafan It works in Windows Vista RTM and Sp1 with ProxhttpsProxy. But the search fails.

6NccOP5.png

nzbXwUx.png

Yes, the search fails because it is trying to connect to the old discontinued endpoint. Have you installed the Server 2008 SHA-2 Update? I believe it changes the endpoint to the new one.

19 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

Maybe you really used it before. I already recommended it some posts before:

Ah thanks, I didn't spot the reference to it in that post!
I did download it then, which is why I recognised the file's icon, but I can't remember whether I ever actually used it.
Certainly everything that it does was checked and implemented manually anyway.
:)

6 hours ago, xpandvistafan said:

Yes, the search fails because it is trying to connect to the old discontinued endpoint. Have you installed the Server 2008 SHA-2 Update? I believe it changes the endpoint to the new one.

The update for Windows Server 2008 will not install. In addition, the Windows Update website no longer works with SP2.

Edited by maile3241

5 minutes ago, xpandvistafan said:

Have you tried replacing the wuaueng.dll? What version of the Windows Update Agent do you have?

I've put a lot of effort into replacing the wuaueng.dll file and adding the regitry entries. Lo and behold, it works. :cheerleader: It doesn't actually make much sense to get updates in Vista via the website, but I really wanted to try it.:buehehe:

cxojwvh.png