On decommissioning of update servers for 2000, XP, (and Vista?) as of July 2019

Mcinwwl

2 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

Error code 0x80070002 means ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND i.e. the System cannot find the file specified. You have to check your Windows Update Log to see which file can't be found.

The missing file is wsus3setup.inf.  I copied the file from Xp but then I get another error.  In Vista Sp1, wsus3setup.inf does not exist at all.

3 minutes ago, maile3241 said:

The missing file is wsus3setup.inf.  I copied the file from Xp but then I get another error.

Maybe the file version of wsus3setup.inf is incorrect. Search for a version related to Windows 7. Maybe within a normal Window 7 system. wsus3setup.inf is located in folder SoftwareDistribution. But I've never used MU web site in Windows 7 so it is only a guess.

@maile3241 I've checked the location of wsus3setup.inf once again. The file exists in two folders, one copy is in folder WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\SelfUpdate\Default\ and the other in WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\WebSetup\. Both files have been accessed by WU. Maybe you missed one location.

12 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

@maile3241 I've checked the location of wsus3setup.inf once again. The file exists in two folders, one copy is in folder WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\SelfUpdate\Default\ and the other in WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\WebSetup\. Both files have been accessed by WU. Maybe you missed one location.

That is correct. However, the file does not exist in Windows 7. I have already copied the file from Xp to Win 7. Unfortunately I get 0x8007000D. Here are the Windows Update logs from Vista and 7.

EgYQ0PC.png

Ij3JXBF.png

Edited by maile3241

21 minutes ago, maile3241 said:

Unfortunately I get 0x8007000D.

Error code 0x8007000D means Error_invalid_data. Therefore I think using the XP version won't fix it probably. You have to find another version if it exists at all. Did you copy wsus3setup.cat too? Without it won't work. Both files wsus3setup.inf and wsus3setup.cat are included in cab file wsus3setup.cab.

Edited by AstroSkipper
correction

11 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

Error code 0x8007000D means Error_invalid_data. Therefore I think using the XP version won't fix it probably. You have to find another version if it exists at all. Did you copy wsus3setup.cat too? Without it won't work. Both files wsus3setup.inf and wsus3setup.cat are included in cab file wsus3setup.cab.

I have made. Does not make a difference. Here the folder WebSetup of Vista and 7.

5ZxI99S.png

7Q3rH8a.png

Edited by maile3241

33 minutes ago, maile3241 said:

I have made. Does not make a difference. Here the folder WebSetup of Vista and 7.

Sorry, I can't see the mentioned files in your folders. I see only the file wsus3setup.cab in first screenshot but in second one none of them. And don't hide your extensions of files. They are important to have a look at.

Edited by AstroSkipper
addition

2 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

Sorry, I can't see the mentioned files in your folders. I see only the file wsus3setup.cab in first screenshot but in second one none of them.

That's the problem. There are many more files in Win 7 than in Vista and it still works. The pictures are for comparison only.

1 hour ago, maile3241 said:

That link doesn't work as it stands. I guess you have to be a member?
I downloaded KB968730 from elsewhere anyway, it is the SHA-2 update I think?
Thanks, but again I already have it installed.
:)

43 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

Maybe in Explorer options you have hidden system files and extensions.

No, everything has already been checked. My guess is that the user agent string is wrong. The same problem also occurs in Win 10 when opening the page via Chrome with IEtab. It works fine in Internet Explorer.

GpKlNag.png

vJzJAca.png

Edited by maile3241

16 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

@Dave-H Look at this one http://thehotfixshare.net/board/index.php?/files/file/10247-windowsxp-kb968730-x86-enuexe/. It's an update of crypt32.dll, version 5.131.2600.5779 of 2009. The version in my systen32 folder is more recent, it's version 5.131.2600.6459 of 2013.

That link won't work for me either.
It Looks like KB968730 was replaced by KB3072630, which I also have installed already.
My version of crypt32.dll is 5.131.2600.6459, the same as yours.
:)