On decommissioning of update servers for 2000, XP, (and Vista?) as of July 2019

Mcinwwl

Yes, it was very disappointing! :(
I'm really not going to go through everything again or do a new installation just to try and fix this. It's a huge bonus just to have the Microsoft Update site display at all again, and allow me to see my update history in it. There will of course be no more updates for XP anyway, or any of the other XP-compatible Microsoft software I have installed, like Office 2010, so there really is no point anyway in having Microsoft Update working fully again. The only reason to need it would be for updating a new installation, and I'm never going to do that unless there's an absolute disaster with my present installation. The thought of installing it all again from scratch, including the POSReady updates, fills me with absolute horror!

I do ISO backups every week of my Windows 10 installation using the built-in Microsoft backup utility, but for Windows XP (and Windows 98) I just do a file copy backup of the drives. Maybe I should get the necessary software to do ISO backups of them too. I certainly don't have a backup from when Microsoft Update last worked!

Why it doesn't work for me is still a mystery of course, and I would love to know what the problem is, but I think we've done as much as we can now. Whatever the problem is, it doesn't seem to affect anything else! I actually suspect that the problem is not what we think it is, Microsoft error messages are notorious for not really identifying the real problem! It must be related to certificate validity I'm sure, something in the certificate chain is failing and causing the scans to fail, but it is getting at least to that point.

Do you have the POSReady updates installed? There is an outside chance that one of them is causing the problem. It would be good to know if anyone with them installed has Microsoft Update working properly now.
Cheers, Dave.
:)

23 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

Do you have the POSReady updates installed? There is an outside chance that one of them is causing the problem. It would be good to know if anyone with them installed has Microsoft Update working properly now

Yes, I have all POSReady updates installed. My system had always been updated by Windows Update and if any necassary update wasn't offered I downloaded and installed it. I had some problems to get MU working again but now it is working flawlessly. No error codes. But for resetting Windows Update I used the tool winUpRestore!v28.

Edited by AstroSkipper
addition

1 hour ago, maile3241 said:

In Windows Vista/7 and 8 I get error code 0x80070002. It only works in Windows 10. Type the following in cmd: Run cmd as administrator!

cd c:\windows\syswow64

regsvr32 c:\windows\syswow64\wuweb.dll

Btw. Run cmd as administrator!

I get that too. I wonder if it is because when it requests wuident.cab, it does it with the header ?22020052317 instead of the 2012 one used by XP.

11 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

Yes, I have all POSReady updates installed. My system had always been updated by Windows Update and if any necassary update wasn't offered I downloaded and installed it. I had some problems to get MU working again but now it is working flawlessly. No error codes.

OK, scratch that theory then! :D
I'm wondering about the error message saying "an update certificate".
Does that mean the certificate of a particular update, or a general server certificate?
I know my computer clock is 100% correct, I know my root certificates are 100% up to date.
The pages I've found about the 0x80072F8F error sometimes cite a "defective proxy server" as being the culprit, but we are both now using the same local proxy server with exactly the same settings. I wish it was possible to access Microsoft Update now on XP without a proxy server, but it isn't of course. I've tried online proxy servers replacing HTTPSProxy, but then the site doesn't work at all, presumably because of the lack of the TLS 1.2 support that HTTPSProxy provides.
:(

27 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

I'm wondering about the error message saying "an update certificate".

Where did you see the message "an update certificate"? I am a bit confused. :dubbio:
Here is the link of winUpRestore!v28 if interested: https://web.archive.org/web/20120711072701/http://download.mshelper.de/mshregs/winUpdRestore!v28.exe

Edited by AstroSkipper
addition

10 hours ago, xpandvistafan said:

I get that too. I wonder if it is because when it requests wuident.cab, it does it with the header ?22020052317 instead of the 2012 one used by XP.

No, I do not think so. It also works fine for me. Is wuweb.dll already registered?

11 hours ago, Dave-H said:

It's here.

Ok, due to the fact I've never had this error I forgot the exact wording of the displayed message. Have you tried the method "Turning back time" more than once? Maybe MU actually considers a certificate as invalid  and we need the date and time where it was valid. Go back to my provided date in April of 2019 and try once again! If it doesn't work turn back to 2018. Try it more times. And I agree the wording "an update certificate" is misleading and can be interpreted in different ways. I have to think about that. :dubbio:
And there is nothing to lose. Try the tool winUpRestore!v28! I have used that and it helped me. Then install the latest WU agent and after that Restore_WU_XP_2003. Only a few steps if "Turning back time" doesn't work again. While researching internet articles related to error code 0x80072F8F I've read consistently this error appears due to invalid SSL certificates used by the Windows Update site and therefore it is suggested to reregister some dll files I posted before. Here is a quotation from original Microsoft knowledge base document:

When searching for available updates on the Update site, you see the 0x80072F8F error while looking for available updates (Resolution 1)
Last updated : 03/02/2006 Print | Close
Problem description
This error may occur if the date and time on your computer varies too much from the valid date and time of the SSL certificates used by the Windows Update site. This causes the scan process to fail. Please verify that your computers date and time are accurate.
Applicable operating systems
Windows 2000
Windows XP
Windows Server 2003
Resolutions
1. Register the following files
1.  Click Start.
2.  Choose Run.
3.  In the Run box, type regsvr32 Softpub.dll.
4.  Click OK.
5.  Repeat steps 1 through 4 for the following files: Wintrust.dll, Initpki.dll, Mssip32.dll.
For more information on this issue and alternate resolution please click on the Microsoft Knowledge Base link below.

Hope will never die! :thumbup

Edited by AstroSkipper
correction

OK I'll give that another go.
Thanks for the link to winUpRestore!v28 BTW.
Is that the same version I used before, or a later one? I can't remember!
I'm pretty happy now that there is nothing wrong with my Windows Update software installation, I don't think it would get as far as it does if there was.
It falls at the very last hurdle as far as I can see.
If "an update certificate" means the certificate of a specific update, that would imply that an available update has been detected, which I feel is actually pretty unlikely now.
It's more likely to mean a server certificate I would have thought.
:)

26 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

OK I'll give that another go.

If you extract winUpRestore!v28.exe you see what it does. After performing you have to set up Trusted Zone once again. Only the three mentioned urls related to MU. The tool is the latest one. The web site of the author doesn't exist anymore.

26 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

It's more likely to mean a server certificate I would have thought.

I think that too but I am not absolutely sure.

Edited by AstroSkipper
correction

13 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

I've just been reviewing the earlier posts, and I was wrong when I said that nobody else had reported my problem.
@xpandvistafanreported exactly the same problem here.
I don't know if they found a fix, but I'll search some more!
:yes:

He was able to fix the problem with the ProxhttpsProxy certificate updater.