On decommissioning of update servers for 2000, XP, (and Vista?) as of July 2019

Mcinwwl

@Great_Life Are you trying to get WU v5 or WU v6 to work? The only WU version that's online is v6 and it's kinda tricky to get it to work on Windows 2000. In this case I recommend Legacy Update since it doesn't require a proxy. But if you wanna get v5 to work then have a look at this thread: 

:)  

Edited by WinGlass

5 minutes ago, WinGlass said:

@Great_Life Are you trying to get WU v5 or WU v6 to work? The only WU version that's online is v6 and it's kinda tricky to get it to work on Windows 2000. In this case I recommend Legacy Update since it doesn't require a proxy. But if you wanna get v5 to work then have a look at this thread: 

Well, he did say v5.windowsupdate.com, so yes, he's trying to get WU v5 to work.

4 hours ago, Great_Life said:

Hello everyone! I followed the guide,but it doesn't work. IE always rewrites the url to http://fe2.update.microsoft.com instead of v5.windowsupdate.com

As far as I can see, the most simple way for updating a Windows 2000 installation is using the quite new service Legacy Update which was already mentioned here. It was reported to work properly on Windows 2000. I wrote about this service here: 

It can't hurt to give it a try. :) 

To be honest, I do not use Windows 2000 and never did before. If you want to use an legacy OS, I would rather recommend to switch to Windows XP Professional SP3. It can be additionally updated by installing POSReady Updates and is much better supported, especially here in this forum. Just a suggestion! smilie_denk_24.gif

Kind regards, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

7 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

As far as I can see, the most simple way for updating a Windows 2000 installation is using the quite new service Legacy Update which was already mentioned here. It was reported to work properly on Windows 2000. I wrote about this service here: 

It can't hurt to give it a try. :) 

To be honest, I do not use Windows 2000 and never did before. If you want to use an legacy OS, I would rather recommend to switch to Windows XP Professional SP3. It can be additionally updated by installing POSReady Updates and is much better supported, especially here in this forum. Just a suggestion! smilie_denk_24.gif

Kind regards, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

10 hours ago, mina7601 said:

Well, he did say v5.windowsupdate.com, so yes, he's trying to get WU v5 to work.

10 hours ago, WinGlass said:

Thank you all! I will build a local v5 server. I will also try Legacy Update at the same time.

I've tried Legacy Update a few days ago, it works great and I like it. But, like others, I also prefer original WU.

However, there's an issue with it that has been annoying me.

alreadyinstalledupdate.png

See the screenshot above. You can see that KB4486463 is already installed in my system, but Legacy Update still offers it, and it's the only update appearing. What I am wondering is, should I safely assume that I already installed it, and I don't need to install it again (that is, ignore it when I check for updates again)?

Other than that, the site works fine.

Edited by mina7601

11 hours ago, mina7601 said:

I've tried Legacy Update a few days ago, it works great and I like it. But, like others, I also prefer original WU.

However, there's an issue with it that has been annoying me.

alreadyinstalledupdate.png

See the screenshot above. You can see that KB4486463 is already installed in my system, but Legacy Update still offers it, and it's the only update appearing. What I am wondering is, should I safely assume that I already installed it, and I don't need to install it again (that is, ignore it when I check for updates again)?

Other than that, the site works fine.

You should first use the search function before posting such "news"!

The problem has been known for years. :whistle: It has nothing to do with Legacy Update. MU and WU show the same misbehaviour. So I chose KB4486463 as a dummy update in one of my fixes long ago:

Therefore, nothing new in the West! :boring:  You seem to have used the AU/WU service never before. Otherwise, you'd have noticed that misbehaviour long time ago. :dubbio:

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

7 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

You seem to have used the AU/WU service never before.

Yeah, sorry, it's been a long time since I last used the service (mainly, I set it to notify me but not to auto download or install updates, back when WU server was working then), like 4 years ago, and also without POSReady trick.

Anyway, so the solution is, just hide the update, like I assumed earlier, Good to know.

Edited by mina7601

Hi guys ..

Would/could someone verify that I've the latest DHCP Client for XP:

(5.1.2600.5512

5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-0852)

I ask, because, while I thought I was pos ready, I've recently learned I'm still missing some, but everything works so I don't complain, but when I go to bed, everything is powered off. I realize not secure and I don't know to change the registry settings (don't know what they mean)

Thank you in advance.

dhcp.thumb.JPG.0247a0daaedeb1502b91d97dc81bccf6.JPG

Edited by XPerceniol

7 minutes ago, XPerceniol said:

Hi guys ..

Would/could someone verify that I've the latest DHCP Client for XP:

(5.1.2600.5512

5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-0852)

I ask, because, while I thought I was pos ready, I've recently learned I'm still missing some, but everything works so I don't complain, but when I go to bed, everything is powered off. I realize not secure and I don't know to change the registry settings (don't know what they mean)

Thank you in advance.

dhcp.thumb.JPG.0247a0daaedeb1502b91d97dc81bccf6.JPG

I have the same version here.

Thank you @mina7601 ... very much appreciate that you took the time to verify that for me. I've been doing some reading about this and the holes and just how important it is to be (at least) behind a good router. I've also been researching on how to *harden* this service (when enabled, of course) and I'm unsure to make changes since I'm clueless about this.

Any thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

After some rigamarole (installing the official Update Rollup 1) and discovering that one must be using the newest release of the Legacy Update client (1.3 as of now;  when I first tried it a week or two ago, 1.1 was current, so development is moving quite fast), I managed to update a fresh install of Windows 2000 SP4.

I suspect this is the first time in quite awhile that it actually worked with such ease.  Even when v6 was still fully online with SHA-1, updating a fresh install of 2000 was very hard because WU didn't work out of the box;  I had to almost update everything just to make it work, but then what's the point?

c