On decommissioning of update servers for 2000, XP, (and Vista?) as of July 2019

Mcinwwl

Hello,everybody! Now Iam trying to restore Microsoft Update on Windows 2000. I installed the ActiveX Plug-in with Windows XP's steps(muweb.dll&mucltui.dll),but the website still requires the plug-in. I wonder that there are some differences between Windows XP and Windows 2000?:dubbio:

If Windows Update works and muweb.dll is registered, it has to work (tested). I once ran into an issue on Vista, regsvr32 didn't see muweb.dll anymore (and IE did the same). Try to place muweb.dll in a different location and register it again (mucltui.dll is not needed, as it's automatically installed at first run).

41 minutes ago, ItCoder said:

If Windows Update works and muweb.dll is registered, it has to work (tested). I once ran into an issue on Vista, regsvr32 didn't see muweb.dll anymore (and IE did the same). Try to place muweb.dll in a different location and register it again (mucltui.dll is not needed, as it's automatically installed at first run).

I tried to install the muweb.dll in a different location,but it didn't work.:no:

The tip from MU.png

10 hours ago, ItCoder said:

I've simulated this and Microsoft Update opened fine. Try my installer (https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsVjtW11rJfA3FQANrgg_QXRMgfx?e=7q2PhN).

Thank you for the wonderful work! :worship:Does the installer supports Chinese?  Can I install some parts of the installer? Because I have hosted a central server for proxy and the program have already created a CA.:huh:

The installer is in English, but it installs in any language. You can try to see if it works, but then you have to reconfigure the system to work with your proxy (reinstall the Agent, add registry keys, replace wuaueng.dll with patched version, set your proxy in IE). That happens because redirection, in my method, is done on the server to allow Automatic Updates to work. Alternatively, you can try unregistering muweb.dll, uninstall IE6 (and IE5.5 if it gets restored), reinstall it and register muweb.dll again.

3 hours ago, ItCoder said:

The installer is in English, but it installs in any language. You can try to see if it works, but then you have to reconfigure the system to work with your proxy (reinstall the Agent, add registry keys, replace wuaueng.dll with patched version, set your proxy in IE). That happens because redirection, in my method, is done on the server to allow Automatic Updates to work. Alternatively, you can try unregistering muweb.dll, uninstall IE6 (and IE5.5 if it gets restored), reinstall it and register muweb.dll again.

It worked!:cheerleader:I can access the web site now. But when I scan updates use my proxy,it returns me 0x80244019.:wacko:

PS:I have installed your program and set personal settings follow your steps  (reinstall the Agent, add registry keys, replace wuaueng.dll with patched version, set my proxy in IE)

Edited by Great_Life
Replace Some Content