On decommissioning of update servers for 2000, XP, (and Vista?) as of July 2019

Mcinwwl

8 minutes ago, LonghornXP said:

The important thing is, the Windows Update website is work as normal

As you say, it works without any anomaly! Both on Windows 2000, XP and 2003 x64 (didn't try x86).

16 minutes ago, WinFX said:

As you say, it works without any anomaly! Both on Windows 2000, XP and 2003 x64 (didn't try x86).

I'm try it on server 2003 x86, it works as normal

EDIT: It's on 5 days ago

Edited by LonghornXP

12 hours ago, WinFX said:

spacer.png

This is Windows Update v6 on Windows 2000 SP4 Pro running in 2022!

spacer.png

And this is Windows Update v6 on Windows Server 2003 Enterprise x64 running in 2022!

This method is much better, plus it doesn't require as many updates. Only the ProxHTTPSProxy 1.3 and updating the root certificates, such as installing the patched wuaueng.dll and a registry file. I didn't even install IE8 and it's already working, I'm even using IE5.5 on Windows 2000.

IE5.5?:w00t: I would not have thought that now. I must admit that I have never tried it with IE5.5.:)

23 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

I do not believe that it makes any difference. Presumably this key is not used anymore and will be ignored by Windows nowadays. It's simply a leftover. :)

PS: What does a native British English speaking person say: leftover or remnant?

I would say 'leftover' myself, but 'remnant' is just as good!
:yes:

The error is still coming up unfortunately.

Clipboard-1.png.f36d49d44ba01d6aabf291f3a5119796.png

I did wonder if it was because it checks on boot, and needs HTTPSProxy to work, and HTTPSProxy is just not up and running quickly enough to prevent the check failing, but today the error appeared long after the machine was booted up, so that can't be the case.
Maybe the automatic checking system just can't use HTTPSProxy.
:dubbio:

5 hours ago, Dave-H said:

Maybe the automatic checking system just can't use HTTPSProxy.

Try to set HTTPSProxy as system-wide proxies using proxycfg.exe by entering command proxycfg -u and check again. If it doesn't work, you can go back to previous setting by command proxycfg -d. Does your error mean that Automatic Updates doesn't offer any updates? I thought we had fixed that in the past.

Just by the way:)

I was just browsing my gallery and came across this video which I recorded on 26 December 2021. These were the first times I was able to see the page without the 0x80072EFF error and without any proxy or other programs. I had only installed any certificates and activated Tls 1.2. Strangely, I could only open the page by chance and if you opened the page in a new tab or in a new window it didn't work either.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipN6Tetz5NMAgHMWUgGFVMLlU-xPaNzpIB3XmtKVmvVGIHEt1WhV1mtClh2zpIi7YA/photo/AF1QipOMz2Mn0O7XKqc8-w3E14KLUVjhMglEhayOevmi?key=Y2wyZ2pQMGtqQ2R5cm0xeHNuT0phOV9oc0FCdkJB

Edited by maile3241

17 hours ago, maile3241 said:

I was just browsing my gallery and came across this video which I recorded on 26 December 2021. These were the first times I was able to see the page without the 0x80072EFF error and without any proxy or other programs. I had only installed any certificates and activated Tls 1.2. Strangely, I could only open the page by chance and if you opened the page in a new tab or in a new window it didn't work either.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipN6Tetz5NMAgHMWUgGFVMLlU-xPaNzpIB3XmtKVmvVGIHEt1WhV1mtClh2zpIi7YA/photo/AF1QipOMz2Mn0O7XKqc8-w3E14KLUVjhMglEhayOevmi?key=Y2wyZ2pQMGtqQ2R5cm0xeHNuT0phOV9oc0FCdkJB

I saw some extra certificate in your VM, I think that was make the site work.

18 hours ago, maile3241 said:

That's nice! If you still remember, were you able to check for updates at that time too, or only open the page? You would be lucky if you were able to! :)

Edited by mina7601
typo

On 2/20/2022 at 4:32 PM, Dave-H said:

OK, I did my tests, with resounding success!
:thumbup

Clipboard-1.thumb.png.f49e1d072055c055bb821e600258ed6a.png

As I thought, uninstalling KB4501226 did not produce a result, as it's no longer actually offered to POSReady 2009 systems.
Uninstalling its predecessor, KB4487990 produced the desired result though, as you can see above.
So, It's all working!
:yes:

In this post you said Automatic Updates is working in your system. And now it isn't? The error message doesn't matter if AU service is still working.

48 minutes ago, LonghornXP said:

I saw some extra certificate in your VM, I think that was make the site work.

Yes, exactly. When I installed the certificate trust list, it sometimes worked. But as I said, only by luck!

45 minutes ago, mina7601 said:

That's nice! If you still remember, were you able to check for updates at that time too, or only open the page? You would be like if you were able to! :)

At the beginning, I could not check for updates because the patch was not yet installed.

Why I was able to open the page without a proxy at that time is still a big mystery to me today, because the page requires ECDHE ciphers and these are not actually supported by Xp.:dubbio:

48 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

In this post you said Automatic Updates is working in your system. And now it isn't? The error message doesn't matter if AU service is still working.

Yes, it was working when I removed an update to test it, and I assume it still is.
Maybe it's only the routine automatic checks which are failing.
The message does say that it will try again, but there seems to be no way of knowing whether it did actually do that.
If it did, presumably it then succeeded as there is only ever one message each session.

@Dave-H

Set the "Automatic updates" and "BITS" services to manual instead of automatic startup. They usually get started anyways, but hopefully this will give more time to your proxy to get running before the first check. 

In Event viewer logs what is (roughly) the time between the "service entered running state" event for AU and that error you get?

Thanks.
BITS was already on Manual.
I've now put the Automatic Updates service to Manual too, although as you say, it starts anyway.
A pity that XP does not have the 'delayed start' option of later Windows versions.
:)