On decommissioning of update servers for 2000, XP, (and Vista?) as of July 2019

Mcinwwl

Just now, AstroSkipper said:

A small update:
When I turned off Windows Firewall, Windows Update worked for me! :cheerleader:

Now you have to find out what is blocked by Windows Firewall. Add the program WuauClt.exe into the exception list of firewall. Check if ProxHTTPSProxy is able to pass firewall.

2 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

Now you have to find out what is blocked by Windows Firewall. Add the program WuauClt.exe into the exception list of firewall. Check if ProxHTTPSProxy is able to pass firewall.

I'll do so, but my VM is in the process of installing the updates now. So, maybe later. :)

10 minutes ago, mina7601 said:

I'll do so, but my VM is in the process of installing the updates now. So, maybe later. :)

In any case I'm glad it is finally working for you. It would have surprised me too if my damn guide does not work for you. It's late for me here in Germany. So long! Good night! Kindest regards, AstroSkipper :hello:

Edited by AstroSkipper

17 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

In any case I'm glad it is finally working for you. It would have surprised me too if my damn guide does not work for you. It's late for me here in Germany. So long! Good night! Kindest regards, AstroSkipper :hello:

I have a surprise for you :):
It works too with Firewall ON and with wuauclt.exe added as exception! :cheerleader:
spacer.png

I love you my man, you are the best! Thank you! :worship:

Edited by mina7601

13 hours ago, mina7601 said:

It works too with Firewall ON and with wuauclt.exe added as exception! :cheerleader:
spacer.png

I love you my man, you are the best! Thank you! :worship:

This is a bit off-topic but where did you get this Windows Vista theme? Btw. It looks really nice.

Edited by maile3241

15 hours ago, mina7601 said:

I love you my man, you are the best! Thank you! :worship:

You're welcome, indeed! In your case it was fun helping you. :yes: Unfortunately I can't say that in all cases. You really read my guide carefully. And therefore you did it! :thumbup Anyway, I have already updated my guide due to the experiences while assisting you. You can have a look at step 16 if you want. Greetings, AstroSkipper :)

@AstroSkipper Your contribution is excellent. However, I still have one request for you. I would like to ask you to mention me in step 4,5,6,7 and in step 8, as it was a hard work for me to figure out especially the 4 updates. 

You can check here: 

And here:

And that was my first post:

Edited by maile3241

On 3/23/2022 at 3:52 PM, maile3241 said:

This is a bit off-topic but where did you get this Windows Vista theme? Btw. It looks really nice.

More like a Windows 7 theme.

I got it right here: https://www.deviantart.com/ebhefgyxp/art/Aero-7-XP-807725030

Edited by mina7601
Link is no longer working as the account has been deactivated.

2 hours ago, maile3241 said:

@AstroSkipper Your contribution is excellent. However, I still have one request for you. I would like to ask you to mention me in step 4,5,6,7 and in step 8, as it was a hard work for me to figure out especially the 4 updates.

As requested I added "credits to @maile3241" to step 4, 6 and 7. Applying PosReady.reg in step 5 is generally mandatory for installing POSReady updates and logical, just as updating of Root Certificates. Therefore no credits in these two steps. In fact, credits in step 5 should go to whoever discovered the POSReady trick and to no one else. Same in step 8. Or are you the developer of rootsupd.exe from Microsoft? :buehehe: Generally, credits will be added where something of another person has been done or created.
Kind regards, AstroSkipper

Edited by AstroSkipper
correction

6 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

As requested I added "credits to @maile3241" to step 4, 6 and 7. Applying PosReady.reg in step 5 is generally mandatory for installing POSReady updates and logical, just as updating of Root Certificates. Therefore no credits in these two steps. In fact, credits in step 5 should go to whoever discovered the POSReady trick and to no one else. Same in step 8. Or are you the developer of rootsupd.exe from Microsoft? :buehehe: Generally credits will be added where something of another person has been done or created. Kind regards, AstroSkipper

Great thanks, that fits. :worship:

2 minutes ago, maile3241 said:

Do you mean without these 4 updates?

Most of all Windows XP users using the POSReady trick had already installed these 4 updates in the past like me, for example. So it can be verified only using a clean install without any POSReady updates.

5 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

Most of all Windows XP users using the POSReady trick had already installed these 4 updates in the past like me, for example. So it can be verified only using a clean install without any POSReady updates.

So I have tested it to see if it works without the 4 updates, but unfortunately I keep getting 0x80072F78. I also tried the firewall trick, but it didn't work. These updates seem to be required. I suspect it is related to the Sha2 certificate, because version 1.3 of ProxhttpsProxy works without these updates and without IE8. Probably because of the Sha1 certificate.

Edited by maile3241

1 hour ago, xpandvistafan said:

@AstroSkipper Now I wonder if you can unblock wuauclt.exe on a unpatched XP install and it will work.

When I was assisting @Dave-H in restoring access to MU web site, I found a lot of users in different forums (actually it should be called fora) reporting that only unblocking of wuauclt.exe would help fixing several error codes relating to MU, but there were many users too without any success. Therefore sometimes it may help, sometimes not. I will test that next time on my old computer without MU patch. So my preliminary answer is rather no.

Edited by AstroSkipper
addition