Jump to content

Instagram videos not working in Firefox 52 ESR?


Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, msfntor said:

Seen this too with uBlock disabled...BUT if using (enabled) uBlock, these videos reappear... - in Serpent 55.

Thanks! Instagram is basically a black box to me - no idea how it does what it does - but that's a clue. I too have uBO (legacy version 1.16.4.30), which is likely why the videos work for me. My guess is, uBO blocks some useless tracking script (after all, that's what it's for), and the blocked script happens to break Instagram videos on St 55 but not 52. Probably because it uses some Javascript feature that 52 supports but 55 doesn't (perhaps modules).

In any case, installing uBO is a pretty easy fix, and would probably work in vanilla FF 52.9 also. I think to install uBO in FF 52.9, you have to turn off signature verification: in about:config, set xpinstall.signatures.required to false if you haven't done so already. FF 52.9 will show a "nag" in about:addons about the "unverified" add-on, but uBO still works perfectly.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


17 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

Thanks! Instagram is basically a black box to me - no idea how it does what it does - but that's a clue. I too have uBO (legacy version 1.16.4.30), which is likely why the videos work for me. My guess is, uBO blocks some useless tracking script (after all, that's what it's for), and the blocked script happens to break Instagram videos on St 55 but not 52. Probably because it uses some Javascript feature that 52 supports but 55 doesn't (perhaps modules).

In any case, installing uBO is a pretty easy fix, and would probably work in vanilla FF 52.9 also. I think to install uBO in FF 52.9, you have to turn off signature verification: in about:config, set xpinstall.signatures.required to false if you haven't done so already. FF 52.9 will show a "nag" in about:addons about the "unverified" add-on, but uBO still works perfectly.

I've set in FF52.9 xpinstall.signatures.required to false - so now FF less quiet at its place my Dismiss The Overlay little extension, uff, thank you @Mathwiz!:)

In this FF 52.9 have uBlock v1.13.8, uMatrix v1.0 too, and other extensions ... BUT I don't use this browser anymore, using exclusively (lately..) our chrome builds.

None of my 3 Instagram links work here today... give login demand only.

 

PS.

In my St 55 today, this Instagram link works (in one tab only!): https://www.instagram.com/tv/CNZX7dWA0iG/?igshid=1tlxn9t5hvfgp - uBlock v1.16.4.26.

My two other Instagram links doesn't work today (give login demand)... mystery why.

I use uBlock O. in my all browsers for ads and malware only, not for privacy. With privacy lists enabled - no change for Instagram links...

Edited by msfntor
explanations
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't recommend FF 52.9 unless one needs Firefox Sync. That was the case for @Dave-H, who originally ran into the problem with Instagram videos, so I pointed out that uBO can be installed in FF 52.9 for his benefit. Since it seems to let Instagram videos play in Serpent 55, I think there's a good chance it'll do the trick for FF 52.9 also.

Evidently uBO in FF 52.9 didn't work for you, @msfntor, but I notice that the uBO version you have in FF 52.9, v1.13.8, is quite old. The version you have in Serpent 55, v1.16.4.26, is much newer. Perhaps the newer version would do the trick in FF 52.9 even though v1.13.8 didn't. You can get all of JustOff's uBO versions, all the way up to his latest, 1.16.4.30, at the link I gave in my last post. (I have uBO set to update automatically, so I'm at v1.16.4.30.)

P.S. I'm not sure what's going on with the intermittent login demands from Instagram that @msfntor has been experiencing. That is a truly baffling problem, but login demands aren't the problem @Dave-H described (for one thing, I think @Dave-H has an Instagram account and can log in if he wants). He just isn't seeing (and thus can't play) the videos.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have UBO 1.16.4.30 installed on Firefox 52.9.
I did try putting a previously recommended filter into it, but it makes no difference.
It's - instagram.com##div.ZyFrc[role=dialog]:style(display: block !important)
Is there another one I can try?
:dubbio:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, I've been working on my 52.9.1 and trying to compare the prefs to match Serpent as much as possible. I had insomnia last night decided instead of worry, I'ld just sit here in the dark and work on it. Serpent 52 seems to work better (for me) than 55 and I can only go so far with FF, but the strange thing is some sites will load in FF52.9.1 (when I sppof FF62) but not in Serpent. Ive' been having luck with spoofing FF78 or FF91 on Serpent 52 with most sites. But I don't know why Serpent is different and what is under the hood. I'm actually find this whole thing to be quite odd to say the very least :blink:

Even 360 is now starting to act up and I've run into a few white blank pages and have to close and restart. I'v starting to have issues with the scrolling and this forum especially now on V11 Artcit Foxie. 

I guess its just turned into running several different browsers game again. I wonder how long we will have left with XP. 

Sorry guys trying to correct mistakes. 

Edited by XPerceniol
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

I don't recommend FF 52.9 unless one needs Firefox Sync. That was the case for @Dave-H, who originally ran into the problem with Instagram videos, so I pointed out that uBO can be installed in FF 52.9 for his benefit. Since it seems to let Instagram videos play in Serpent 55, I think there's a good chance it'll do the trick for FF 52.9 also.

Evidently uBO in FF 52.9 didn't work for you, @msfntor, but I notice that the uBO version you have in FF 52.9, v1.13.8, is quite old. The version you have in Serpent 55, v1.16.4.26, is much newer. Perhaps the newer version would do the trick in FF 52.9 even though v1.13.8 didn't. You can get all of JustOff's uBO versions, all the way up to his latest, 1.16.4.30, at the link I gave in my last post. (I have uBO set to update automatically, so I'm at v1.16.4.30.)

P.S. I'm not sure what's going on with the intermittent login demands from Instagram that @msfntor has been experiencing. That is a truly baffling problem, but login demands aren't the problem @Dave-H described (for one thing, I think @Dave-H has an Instagram account and can log in if he wants). He just isn't seeing (and thus can't play) the videos.

See, this is strange, on 55 I'm missing buttons on youtube? Yes, a baffling problem; indeed. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/5/2022 at 7:26 AM, Dave-H said:

I have UBO 1.16.4.30 installed on Firefox 52.9.
I did try putting a previously recommended filter into it, but it makes no difference.
It's - instagram.com##div.ZyFrc[role=dialog]:style(display: block !important)
Is there another one I can try?
:dubbio:

I think Instagram changed the "ZyFrc" to another random string, "Igw0E", some time ago.

I put the following into <profile folder>\Chrome\UserContent.css; supposed to achieve the same result:

@-moz-document domain(instagram.com) {
   div._97aPb > div { display: block !important; }
   div.Igw0E > div { display: block !important; }
   div.Igw0E > div > div { display: block !important; }
}

Seems to work in St 55; I need to try FF 52.9.1 and see what's happening there now.

Edit: I guess it depends on the specific Instagram page! "Misinformed Californian" link, https://www.instagram.com/tv/CNZX7dWA0iG/?igshid=1tlxn9t5hvfgp, works in St 52 but not FF 52.9.1.

St 55 is weird; above link works on my home PC but not on my work PC. Both running Win 7.

Oh, wait: I don't have the above .css block on my work PC. Let me see if that fixes it.

Edit 2: Well I guess I'll have to wait a day to try it. I'm now getting the same symptom @msfntor reported: clicking the link only brings up Instagram's login page now.

I'm guessing Instagram fingerprints your browser and won't let the same browser view the same link more than once per day without logging in. :realmad:

Edited by Mathwiz
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Could be.
I removed the UBO filter, and tried that CSS on my Firefox 52.9, with rather strange results.
Single videos still don't appear in the feed, I guess their containers are shrunk down to a single line as happened before.
Carousel videos do now appear in the feed, but seem to be very poor quality, like they are now low resolution versions, which is very strange!
The other thing I noticed is that although the scroll bars are still there on carousels, as they have been for ages on Firefox 52.9, the little row of blue dots which used to be underneath them to show how many things are in the carousel, are now no nowhere to be seen!
:dubbio:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

Edit 2: Well I guess I'll have to wait a day to try it. I'm now getting the same symptom @msfntor reported: clicking the link only brings up Instagram's login page now.

I'm guessing Instagram fingerprints your browser and won't let the same browser view the same link more than once per day without logging in. :realmad:

-but all my browsers doesn't work (get loggin page) after getting this login page in one of my browsers...weird, maybe ISP has add specific deny for the IP?

 

New surprise to me: I get the login page after 3 times reloading page ...

 

PS. Is this link secure?..: bot.incolumitas.com/proxy_detect.html I've denied in uBlock the 0.0.0.0 and 127.0.0.1 ... but have another IP not denied... I'm not sure about this link...

Edited by msfntor
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/8/2022 at 8:55 PM, msfntor said:

-but all my browsers doesn't work (get loggin page) after getting this login page in one of my browsers...weird, maybe ISP has add specific deny for the IP?

 

New surprise to me: I get the login page after 3 times reloading page ...

 

PS. Is this link secure?..: bot.incolumitas.com/proxy_detect.html I've denied in uBlock the 0.0.0.0 and 127.0.0.1 ... but have another IP not denied... I'm not sure about this link...

I get the same login crap !!! It's well known that big American(read chinese) corpos are blocking European IPs, big ranges of European IPs , to be precise . I don't know if you saw , but we already had a similar issue with the MS website . 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/8/2022 at 8:55 PM, msfntor said:

maybe ISP has add specific deny for the IP?

Your service provider has nothing to do with it . It's instagram not liking your IP because it's French. I got the same problem .

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/8/2022 at 6:14 PM, Mathwiz said:

I think Instagram changed the "ZyFrc" to another random string, "Igw0E", some time ago.

I put the following into <profile folder>\Chrome\UserContent.css; supposed to achieve the same result:

@-moz-document domain(instagram.com) {
   div._97aPb > div { display: block !important; }
   div.Igw0E > div { display: block !important; }
   div.Igw0E > div > div { display: block !important; }
}

Seems to work in St 55; I need to try FF 52.9.1 and see what's happening there now.

Edit: I guess it depends on the specific Instagram page! "Misinformed Californian" link, https://www.instagram.com/tv/CNZX7dWA0iG/?igshid=1tlxn9t5hvfgp, works in St 52 but not FF 52.9.1.

St 55 is weird; above link works on my home PC but not on my work PC. Both running Win 7.

Oh, wait: I don't have the above .css block on my work PC. Let me see if that fixes it.

Edit 2: Well I guess I'll have to wait a day to try it. I'm now getting the same symptom @msfntor reported: clicking the link only brings up Instagram's login page now.

I'm guessing Instagram fingerprints your browser and won't let the same browser view the same link more than once per day without logging in. :realmad:

I added an equivalent extra second line to the userContent.css code and the videos now appear on Firefox 52.9 ESR.

@-moz-document domain(instagram.com) {
   div._97aPb > div { display: block !important; }
   div._97aPb > div > div { display: block !important; }
   div.Igw0E > div { display: block !important; }
   div.Igw0E > div > div { display: block !important; }

However the dots underneath carousels are still missing, and some, but not all,  of the videos still look low resolution for some reason, almost like they are small frame size versions blown up to fill the windows.
Very strange, but it's better than not being able to see them at all!
:yes:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 months later...

Well it was great while it lasted, but the videos have now failed again.
:(
They aren't collapsed this time, the size of the posts is correct, but where the video should be is just white.
I wondered if the HTML5 player had failed, but YouTube videos still seem to be fine.
Any ideas anyone?
:dubbio:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

OK, I've partially fixed it with this in userContent.css

@-moz-document domain(instagram.com) {
   div._aatk > div { display: block !important; }
   div._aatk > div > div { display: block !important; }
}

The videos now display again, except for the ones in carousels, which just appear as white.
The single ones were in fact collapsed to single lines again.
There are so many different 'div' labels now when you inspect the code, it's like looking for a needle in a haystack!
:(

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...