Updates from W7 Embedded to W7 since January 14, 2020

wyxchari

I have several computers with W7 in which I finish receiving updates on January 14, 2020.
They can not update to W8 or W10 since they are Pentium 4 and the processor does not have the NX bit.

Although there are still 2 years left, I am thinking if it is possible to install one of the following to extend the period of updates:
Windows 7 Embedded Standard SP1 = October 13, 2020
Windows Embedded POSReady 7 = October 12, 2021

Would it be possible to install it on top or should a clean installation be done?

Edited by wyxchari

I don't see any reason why we couldn't search for updates the same way we do for POSready on XP and apply them to windows 7.   You can do whatever you want but knowing what I know personally I wouldn't if it were me.

2 minutes ago, Destro said:

I don't see any reason why we couldn't search for updates the same way we do for POSready on XP and apply them to windows 7.   You can do whatever you want but knowing what I know personally I wouldn't if it were me.

Somewhere I read that does not work on W7.
Anyway, I'm going to try it in VMWare:
1- I install W7.
2- Hack registry for POSReady.
3.- Check for updates to see if I receive POSReady.

nope I was thinking that, I was only talking about locating the hotfixes from the catalog.  Applying them is going to require us to modify the hotfixes with somthing like ORCA or another utility abefore we apply them.  Unless my Ultimate key will work on embeded  i wont be doing this.  I think it doesn't make sense for everyone and moving forward thats what will be important.

Edited by Destro

- I have tried the XP hack (WPA / PosReady) and it does not work. Keep showing normal updates.
- From the normal Windows 7, I have started to install Windows PosReady 7 giving to setup.exe and it says that another operating system is detected and it will save it as windows.old, therefore, it does not update it, it is like a clean installation always.
http://www.itninja.com/question/installing-windows-updates-for-windows-embedded-posready-2009-machines

https://support.microsoft.com/en-za/help/934307/description-of-the-windows-update-standalone-installer-in-windows

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/install-cab-msu-updates-mu-catalog/

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/extract-cab-file-using-command-line

"wusa update.msu /extract" -> *.cab, *.xml, *.txt ->

"expand *.cab -F:*" ??????

"dism /online /add-package:*.cab" ?????

Manually copy the files if the versions already installed are smaller. Those that can not be copied by being in use, would have to restart and use the recovery console or do so from a USB WinPE, USB Linux or USB Wifislax for example.

Edited by wyxchari

I have tried with VMWare:
1.- Start Windows Embedded PosReady 7.
2.- Windows Update and copy several KB numbers that come out of Windows Embedded Standard 7.
3.- Go to the Microsoft catalog and download them. They are * .msu.
4.- Start Windows 7.
5.- Execute the KB.msu and install perfectly.
6.- During the installation in C: \ a temporary folder appears with the .txt of properties of the update:

ApplicabilityInfo = "Windows 7.0 Client SP1; Windows 7.0 Client; Windows 7.0 Embedded SP1; Windows 7.0 Embedded;"
Applies to = "Windows 6.1"
Build Date = "2011/04/28"
Company = "Microsoft Corporation"
File Version = "1"
Installation Type = "FULL"
Installer Engine = "Component Based Servicing - WUSA.exe"
Installer Version = "6.0.0.0"
KB Article Number = "2532531"
Language = "ALL"
Package Type = "Security Update"
Processor Architecture = "x86"
Product Name = "Windows 6.1"
Support Link = "http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=2532531"

Conclusion: It seems that the updates are made for all versions of Windows 7 and are compatible with each other, or at least they would be the majority.

• 4 months later...

right, wyxchari.  You don't need to worry about this until Jan. 2020.   You can also view the contents of the MSU files for Win7 using 7zip, which I do almost frequently.

I've also checked the new updates for Windows 8 Embedded Standard Edition and they have the similar "ApplicabilityInfo" for all editions of Win8.0, including the non-supported "Client" versions.

4 hours ago, erpdude8 said:

right, wyxchari.  You don't need to worry about this until Jan. 2020.   You can also view the contents of the MSU files for Win7 using 7zip, which I do almost frequently.

I've also checked the new updates for Windows 8 Embedded Standard Edition and they have the similar "ApplicabilityInfo" for all editions of Win8.0, including the non-supported "Client" versions.

Well January 2020 is just over a year and a half away.  That's a blink of an eye when you're going on with life.  So I would plan.

@wykchari:  If you can source a license for Windows 8 (as in the original - I refuse to call it 8.0 because no such thing exists), that could work for you.  I was running Windows 8 on a NetBurst based Xeon CPU (basically a hyperthreaded P4), so that should work for you.  Then just mosey over to our thread called "Server 2012 Updates on Windows 8".  I'd link it for you, but right now, several people are getting a "403 Forbidden" error when they try that.  Any way, follow that advice - and now you're good until October 2023.

On 2/11/2018 at 8:44 AM, Destro said:

What is it that you personally know about this?  I'm just curious to be honest.

:)

• 3 months later...
On 2/12/2018 at 3:11 AM, wyxchari said:

I have tried with VMWare:
1.- Start Windows Embedded PosReady 7.
2.- Windows Update and copy several KB numbers that come out of Windows Embedded Standard 7.
3.- Go to the Microsoft catalog and download them. They are * .msu.
4.- Start Windows 7.
5.- Execute the KB.msu and install perfectly.
6.- During the installation in C: \ a temporary folder appears with the .txt of properties of the update:

ApplicabilityInfo = "Windows 7.0 Client SP1; Windows 7.0 Client; Windows 7.0 Embedded SP1; Windows 7.0 Embedded;"
Applies to = "Windows 6.1"
Build Date = "2011/04/28"
Company = "Microsoft Corporation"
File Version = "1"
Installation Type = "FULL"
Installer Engine = "Component Based Servicing - WUSA.exe"
Installer Version = "6.0.0.0"
KB Article Number = "2532531"
Language = "ALL"
Package Type = "Security Update"
Processor Architecture = "x86"
Product Name = "Windows 6.1"
Support Link = "http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=2532531"

Conclusion: It seems that the updates are made for all versions of Windows 7 and are compatible with each other, or at least they would be the majority.

My concern, though, is that once Jan. 2020 arrives, M$ will change the "ApplicabilityInfo" string for newer updates to just read "Windows 7.0 Embedded;" etc. and they will no longer install on our Windows 7 Client systems without patching.

Edit: OTOH M$ didn't do that with Windows Server 2012 updates; they still install on Windows 8 Client, so maybe there's nothing to worry about. I guess we'll all find out in 2020.

Edited by Mathwiz

58 minutes ago, Mathwiz said:

M$ will change the "ApplicabilityInfo" string for newer updates to just read "Windows 7.0 Embedded;" etc. and they will no longer install on our Windows 7 Client systems without patching.

If that happens someone'll instantly find a patch to some file equivalent to update.exe on XP, to ignore the "ApplicabilityInfo" while installing, and that'll be it... or find a .REG setting to spoof Embedded, just like the POSReady trick. No reason to worry, it'll be all right, you'll see!  :yes:

I wonder whether MS might not extend Win 7 a bit.  Just this month, there were two meltdowns from updates to Win 10.  I don't see how businesses (especially mom-and-pop businesses) can trust Win 10 yet.  But it will be another year before the world realizes that Win 7 is going away, so maybe the complaining won't start soon enough..

Edited by glnz