Who has the latest Firefox ESR Installed?

ThomasW

Thanks, thank goodness it's not an intrinsic problem!
I ran Firefox in Safe Mode (which I should have tried in the first place of course!) and it was fine.
By process of elimination, I discovered that the problem was being caused by Adblock Plus, which had updated to a new version without me realising, which must have triggered the problem.
I've disabled it on Facebook, and all is now fine.
Why it was only causing a problem with Facebook and not apparently anywhere else is a mystery, but all is well again now!
:thumbup

6 hours ago, FranceBB said:

I had problems with Facebook using chromium 54 and a few bug using Firefox 52.9 ESR, but nothing serious.

For instance, if I try to publish a link in a page and I wanna change the preview, it doesn't always work correctly.

Other than that, no major issues, it's still usable.

If you don't mind using Chinese browser, you can use Maxthon5 for facebook.

It sends data about OS, resolution, history and installed programmes in the system to the Chinese government on a regular basis. I personally use a VPN to be anonymous, it wouldn't make much sense to use Maxthon and screw that up. 

It's a shame, though.

If it was open source and not handled by the Chinese government it would have been a very good browser.

I thought the question was referring to the latest ESR being v60.  I am using that version/  Quantum is quite nice and fast,  I applaud Roytam1's efforts at extending the life of Pale Moon and classic Firefox on XP/Vista.  But after disabling all of the telemetry and activity stream on Quantum.  It runs nice.  Very Nice!

Quantum won't work on XP though, if it did we'd all be using it!
I did try Maxthon a while ago, and while it was a very interesting browser (the ability to switch between using the Chromium rendering engine and the IE Trident engine was especially bizarre I thought!) it does use a very old version of Chromium, at least it did when I tried it, which IMO made it potentially less secure than Firefox 52.
:)

On 11/3/2018 at 1:32 PM, Dave-H said:

Thanks, thank goodness it's not an intrinsic problem!
I ran Firefox in Safe Mode (which I should have tried in the first place of course!) and it was fine.
By process of elimination, I discovered that the problem was being caused by Adblock Plus, which had updated to a new version without me realising, which must have triggered the problem.
I've disabled it on Facebook, and all is now fine.
Why it was only causing a problem with Facebook and not apparently anywhere else is a mystery, but all is well again now!
:thumbup

I replaced Adblock Plus with uBlock Origin some time ago. Facebook doesn't seem to have a problem with uBlock Origin.

(I'm not actually using FF 52.9, but I'm using Basilisk, which for all intents and purposes can be thought of as FF 52.10; I even pretend to be FF 52.9 with my user agent)

Edit: I forgot to mention! I send Facebook this user agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0

So I pretend to be FF 57 to Facebook ;)

Edited by Mathwiz

On 11/4/2018 at 5:49 AM, Jody Thornton said:

I thought the question was referring to the latest ESR being v60.  I am using that version/  Quantum is quite nice and fast,  I applaud Roytam1's efforts at extending the life of Pale Moon and classic Firefox on XP/Vista.  But after disabling all of the telemetry and activity stream on Quantum.  It runs nice.  Very Nice!

How do you disable telemetry on Firefox?  I use occasionally on Linux.

Below are the setting (about:config) I currently use in my prefs file to disable Firefox telemetry, but I'm unclear on how to disable activity steams - any further information on this would be appreciated.

Hope this helps and please feel free to let me know if I'm missing something or if something is incorrect :)

user_pref("app.update.service.enabled", false);
user_pref("app.update.staging.enabled", false);
user_pref("browser.aboutHomeSnippets.updateUrl", "https://127.0.0.1");
user_pref("browser.selfsupport.enabled", false);
user_pref("browser.selfsupport.url", "");
user_pref("browser.send_pings.require_same_host", true);
user_pref("datareporting.healthreport.service.enabled", false);
user_pref("datareporting.healthreport.uploadEnabled", false);
user_pref("datareporting.policy.dataSubmissionEnabled", false);
user_pref("devtools.webide.autoinstallADBHelper", false);
user_pref("devtools.webide.autoinstallFxdtAdapters", false);
user_pref("devtools.webide.enabled", false);
user_pref("experiments.activeExperiment", false);
user_pref("experiments.enabled", false);
user_pref("experiments.manifest.uri", "");
user_pref("experiments.supported", false);
user_pref("extensions.update.autoUpdateDefault", false);
user_pref("extensions.update.enabled", false);
user_pref("extensions.webservice.discoverURL", "http://127.0.0.1");
user_pref("network.allow-experiments", false);
user_pref("toolkit.telemetry.archive.enabled", false);
user_pref("toolkit.telemetry.cachedClientID", "");
user_pref("toolkit.telemetry.reportingpolicy.firstRun", false);
user_pref("toolkit.telemetry.server", "");
user_pref("toolkit.telemetry.unified", false);
user_pref("toolkit.telemetry.unifiedIsOptIn", true);

Edited by sal here
Add something..

Hi.

If you still use Firefox 52 ESR,some advice to harden the browser:

https://restoreprivacy.com/firefox-privacy/

https://www.ghacks.net/2015/08/18/a-comprehensive-list-of-firefox-privacy-and-security-settings/

https://github.com/ghacksuserjs/ghacks-user.js/releases/tag/52.0