Malwarebytes antivirus

Because paying provides one with an ear to shower complaints into when the worst happens because of one's own incompetence/carelessness. Such products, no matter how good, sell one safety, which is a lie: nobody's ever safe, particularly not from one's own stupidity/gullibility. This is the best explanation I can offer. ;)

I agree with what was said, but it seams like Malwarebytes Premium has MADE ITSELF my antivirus displacing Windows Defender as my anti virus. I know Windows Defender is NOT the best by a longshot, but my question is still " Should I just leave Malwarebytes as my antivirus and anti malware protection, or should I try to get back to Windows Defender ?? 

Choose the option that consumes less system resources and is more optimal on system performance.  I don't use antivirus for the last 20 years and I always turn the windows one off.  So I can't tell you.  I don't get viruses cuz I know what I am doing.

Regardless of how a well educated user/common sense is the best anti-malware, that is not the answer to the topic at hand.

@mike13, Malwarebytes is an anti-malware software that, as of v3, has improved to give protection like an anti-virus (replacing it). It can protect against infections that your common anti-virus software cannot detect or remove. Malwarebytes is a light-weight, efficient anti-malware solution. I've been an Expert on their team since the software was still 0.x alpha stage. While there are many solutions available for anti-virus and anti-malware; none of them work anywhere near as well as Malwarebytes does.

The reason Malwarebytes replaced Windows Defender is because it's an alternative anti-malware solution that integrates into Windows. The same thing happens if you install a firewall. For example, I used to run Agnitum's Outpost Pro firewall before the company discontinued the product due to being bought out. It would replace Windows Firewall in the Windows Security Center as the active firewall solution.

You're perfectly fine and safe allowing Malwarebytes to act as your anti-malware solution in place of Windows Defender.

I hope this helped to address the questions you've had so far, Mike.

5 hours ago, Tarun said:

Regardless of how a well educated user/common sense is the best anti-malware, that is not the answer to the topic at hand.

There is no incorrect answer when an opinion is asked.

I have nothing against Malwarebytes itself. I use it as-needed if I suspect that something wrong is on the system, but I do not use it for active protection. When it comes to active protection of anything, I see it as a last line of defense and if I am to choose anything (Malwarebytes or anything else) then the ultimate deciding factor for me is how it taxes the system. The one that takes up the least amount of resources is the one that I would let run as active protection.

16 hours ago, nitroshift said:

I agree with Trip and den: best protection sits between the keyboard and the chair.

nitroshift

Which is cool as long as:

1) You are the only use of a computer;

2) You are really, really aware of what danger lies ahead in the web;

3) You are not a target of a persistent, personalized attack.

Form most laptops, first point is gone - it might be enough to let a friend 'check an email' to get the ransomware playing.

Second is an arcane for most users. I get it, we spend time here amongst geeks, many of whom are IT pros, or even were a pros beck in the Dark Days Before Internet and who have seen the growth of the malware. In Poland we say 'zapomniał wół, jak cielęciem był' - credit for anyone who will give me English counterpart of this proverb. Personally, I am trying to keep myself secure, but the longer and deeper I dwelve into literature and System, the more conscious about how fragile and unaware I really am I become.

Truly, get into non-techies community and try to convince them to the safety practices you call the most obvious. Lucky if you won't get called a paranoid, and even then they'll about to loose track in the middle of the lecture.

For the third, most of us are not politicians or bank systems admins and thus this most likely away from us. But you'll never know when you'll cross the path of a wrong man, and as history shows, it's enough for someone to want to use your internet camera without your knowledge to obtain unique nudes ;)

To sum up - if someone asks about specific anti-malware solution, answer 'lol better use no AV' is not an answer.

------------------------------

And, about Malwarebytes AV module, independent tests performed by users I've read on some polish-only forums say it is not as sensible as other engines, and the signatures are not the most strict. Cannot confirm, because I don't use it daily - it lasts in my magazine, and I use it twice a year for double checking if everything is okay. Only thing I can confirm that it is really good in detecting PUP (Potentially Unwanted Software in bloated installers), as it always asks what to do with my old installers I keep on my disk :>

Ok, welp since people don't know I will tell you, If somone wants to hack you and you are dumb enough to to get hacked you will be and anitvirus wont help you.  Hacks to the DNC emails,  I am not gonna sit here and name how all kinds of major corperations get hacked, with customer data breached and chineese stealing US trade secrets etc etc.  If somone whant to hack and give u a virus, if you are not a smart person it will happen.  AV wont help you.  You need to learn if you want to be safe.  IMO malwarebytes AV is trash compared to somthing like ESET NOD32.  If you are really concerned about things like that atleast pick somthing good as a AV>

25 minutes ago, Mcinwwl said:

In Poland we say 'zapomniał wół, jak cielęciem był' - credit for anyone who will give me English counterpart of this proverb.

“An ox forgot [how it was] when it was a calf”

Essentially this means something like "We were all young (not full of knowledge and expertise) once."

Essentially the people saying that an AV isn't necessary are (likely) forgetting the times when they weren't so knowledgeable about computers.

Edited by i430VX
like, I totally forgot to, like, put in the word, "like".

16 minutes ago, Destro said:

Hacks to the DNC emails,  I am not gonna sit here and name how all kinds of major corperations get hacked, with customer data breached and chineese stealing US trade secrets etc etc.

I am aware of that - look at point three. And I remember Stuxnet. But keep in mind that most attacks are not personalized, it's more likely to get infected by a trojan residing in a massively sent e-mail campaign or connecting a pendrive borrowed from a friend. Yes, these are common threats that aware Nerd will easily mitigate, but only if you do not use a shared machine, and that you can vow for life that you'll never do anything negligently under stress, time pressure or bowed down by boredom.

@i430VX - thanks for the interest, but i was rather looking for proverb in common use than a direct translation. However, Internet gives such a clues: https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/324801/english-equivalent-of-polish-an-ox-forgot-how-it-was-when-it-was-a-calf

if any of these are fitting, id be glad to know :>

45 minutes ago, Mcinwwl said:

I am aware of that - look at point three. And I remember Stuxnet. But keep in mind that most attacks are not personalized, it's more likely to get infected by a trojan residing in a massively sent e-mail campaign or connecting a pendrive borrowed from a friend. Yes, these are common threats that aware Nerd will easily mitigate, but only if you do not use a shared machine, and that you can vow for life that you'll never do anything negligently under stress, time pressure or bowed down by boredom.

@i430VX - thanks for the interest, but i was rather looking for proverb in common use than a direct translation. However, Internet gives such a clues: https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/324801/english-equivalent-of-polish-an-ox-forgot-how-it-was-when-it-was-a-calf

if any of these are fitting, id be glad to know :>

Ah. I chose a proverb BASED on the translation. My bad.

2 hours ago, Mcinwwl said:

it's enough for someone to want to use your internet camera without your knowledge to obtain unique nudes

It's however somewhat difficult to get any results through 1mm thick insulating tape (even Mark Zuckerberg's own camera is under black tape, too, BTW). :yes: