Which Antiviruses are Known for a Fact to be Working on XP SP3 as of 2019?

spacequakes

1 hour ago, AstroSkipper said:

Hello @Dave-H! I finally got Malwarebytes Premium 3.5.1.2522 working in my second system partition. :cheerleader: I updated it, and the version of its definitions is 1.0.29410 I received today, 28-03-2023. Do you have the same version in your installation? Is that the most recent? I had a look at the MBAM forum and read some comment (also some of yours :P). There I found this topic: https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/295844-legacy-3512522-sudden-red-triangle-your-updates-are-not-current/#comment-1558895
It seems that Malwarebytes wants to completely discontinue support for version 3.5.1.2522, even under Windows XP. No further update of the definitions!? What do you know and think about this? :dubbio:

Cheers :)

That's awesome to know you have that working on your system.

1 minute ago, XPerceniol said:
41 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

Hello @Dave-H! I finally got Malwarebytes Premium 3.5.1.2522 working in my second system partition. :cheerleader: I updated it, and the version of its definitions is 1.0.29410 I received today, 28-03-2023. Do you have the same version in your installation? Is that the most recent? I had a look at the MBAM forum and read some comment (also some of yours :P). There I found this topic: https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/295844-legacy-3512522-sudden-red-triangle-your-updates-are-not-current/#comment-1558895
It seems that Malwarebytes wants to completely discontinue support for version 3.5.1.2522, even under Windows XP. No further update of the definitions!? What do you know and think about this? :dubbio:

Cheers :)

That's awesome to know you have that working on your system.

Thanks! And yep! :thumbup It's been a couple of years now that I couldn't get Malwarebytes Premium 3.5.1.2522 to work in my Windows XP system. And even MBAM's support couldn't help to fix this issue. :no: Today I thought to try it the last time. I had to dig deep into my system and removed all the remnants of old security programs and others, including a manual cleaning of my registry. Apparently, it did something. :P

This is what I have at the time of writing.

Clipboard-1.thumb.jpg.807c4ed97672450978a9153f1162f159.jpg

AFAIK, Malwarebytes have always said that this version will be supported and provided with pattern updates until further notice, and there's been no sign of them moving to change that.
There have been a few scares where the definition updates stopped coming in, with a red triangle on the system tray icon, but it was always resolved once people posted on the Malwarebytes forum about it. It was always caused by backend problems, but as you can imagine it did worry people!
:)

43 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

This is what I have at the time of writing.

Clipboard-1.thumb.jpg.807c4ed97672450978a9153f1162f159.jpg

AFAIK, Malwarebytes have always said that this version will be supported and provided with pattern updates until further notice, and there's been no sign of them moving to change that.
There have been a few scares where the definition updates stopped coming in, with a red triangle on the system tray icon, but it was always resolved once people posted on the Malwarebytes forum about it. It was always caused by backend problems, but as you can imagine it did worry people!

Thanks for your quick reply! Here is my screenshot of About:

Versionsnumern-29-03-2023.png

Same update package version! That's good. They have updated again. But what about your component package version? And did you read the linked topic? That sounds pretty serious to me. :dubbio:

Edited by AstroSkipper

That's interesting, I wonder why my components package appears to be older than yours?
I would have thought that's something which should have automatically updated.
I will re-download the offline installer and see if the present version is different to the one I have now.
If it is, I will reinstall it.

45 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

That's interesting, I wonder why my components package appears to be older than yours?
I would have thought that's something which should have automatically updated.
I will re-download the offline installer and see if the present version is different to the one I have now.
If it is, I will reinstall it.

I've also seen some screenshots of Malwarebytes Premium 3.5.1.2522 in the MBAM forum, and all show a component package version of 1.0.365. :)

I re-downloaded the offline installer file from Malwarebytes, and the file I downloaded is identical to the one I've already got, which I downloaded in 2018, so it doesn't look as if the installer has been updated.
Very strange, I wonder what the 'component package' actually is?
:dubbio:

Although Malwarebytes announced lifetime support as a nice present for Windows XP users, I came across this thread in their forum: https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/295844-legacy-3512522-sudden-red-triangle-your-updates-are-not-current
I really hope this doesn't concern Windows XP. At the moment, updating of Malwarebytes Premium 3.5.1.2522 works. Yesterday, the update package version was 1.0.29410 which was updated to 1.0.29412 a little later. Today, it was updated to 1.0.29420. Here is a screenshot:

MBAM-2.png

So we can see Malwarebytes Premium 3.5.1.2522 is still supported under Windows XP. Whether the lifetime support is really true, we will have to wait and see. One could also ask what lifetime is actually supposed to mean here. As long as the company "Malwarebytes" lives? Or the user? :buehehe:

Edited by AstroSkipper
correction

1 hour ago, Dave-H said:

I re-downloaded the offline installer file from Malwarebytes, and the file I downloaded is identical to the one I've already got, which I downloaded in 2018, so it doesn't look as if the installer has been updated.
Very strange, I wonder what the 'component package' actually is?
:dubbio:

According to an answer in Malwarebytes' Support Forum, the component package updates are updates to the Kernel in how the software integrates with signatures and associated detections, heuristics and other constructs. Have a look here: https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/287375-what-does-the-component-package-do/ link.gif
If I were you, I would perform a fresh reinstall of Malwarebytes. Or a repair install. And backup your exclusions first! The component package version should be 1.0.365. :)

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

I've just checked the Malwarebytes installation on the XP side of my netbook, and there the component package is version 1.0.365!
That was installed from exactly the same installation file, so I guess it's nothing to do with that.
Looks like that installation must have updated itself at some point, and the other installation didn't for some reason.

On 3/29/2023 at 4:53 PM, AstroSkipper said:

Although Malwarebytes announced lifetime support as a nice present for Windows XP users,
I came across this thread in their forum: 
https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/295844-legacy-3512522-sudden-red-triangle-your-updates-are-not-current
I really hope this doesn't concern Windows XP. At the moment, updating of Malwarebytes Premium 3.5.1.2522 works.

XP (and Vista) users should really keep an eye on that thread :( ; things look grim :angry: ... The opening post there displays a picture of what Dave described in a previous post here:

On 3/29/2023 at 2:26 AM, Dave-H said:

There have been a few scares where the definition updates stopped coming in, with a red triangle on the system tray icon, but it was always resolved once people posted on the Malwarebytes forum about it.

However, this time the MB staff aren't interested in "resolving it"; according to the reporter (and confirmed by a staff member), Malwarebytes Premium Legacy 3.5.1.2522 can no longer receive def updates under Vista/Win7 - thanks to user feedback in this thread, we do know XP installations still receive these :thumbup; but all the MB staff can, apparently, do is endlessly recite ad nauseam the "inherent perils of running Microsoft unsupported Windows versions like XP/Vista :angry:; as per @lmacri's post 3hr ago, MB staff have started wiping out Forum references to "Malwarebytes support for legacy Windows XP and Vista Operating Systems"; what comes next :dubbio:?

OT: @mina7601; Since you seem to have a Vista SP2 VM installed, could you be so kind as to try MB Legacy 3.5.1.2522 there and check whether its defs can be updated? Thanks in advance ;) ...

Edited by VistaLover

23 minutes ago, VistaLover said:

However, this time the MB staff aren't interested in "resolving it"; according to the reporter (and confirmed by a staff member), Malwarebytes Premium Legacy 3.5.1.2522 can no longer receive def updates under Vista/Win7 - thanks to user feedback in this thread, we do know XP installations still receive these :thumbup; but all the MB staff can, apparently, do is endlessly recite ad nauseam the "inherent perils of running Microsoft unsupported Windows versions like XP/Vista :angry:; as per @Imacri's post 3hr ago, MB staff have started wiping out Forum references to "Malwarebytes support for legacy Windows XP and Vista Operating Systems"; what comes next :dubbio:?

I initiated an upload of https://forums.malwarebytes.com/forum/41-malwarebytes-for-windows-support-forum/ to archive.org as completely as possible. I am registered there. :)