Which Antiviruses are Known for a Fact to be Working on XP SP3 as of 2019?

spacequakes

I think those of us using Malwarebytes Premium 3.5.1 on XP (the late great dencorso was also a fan BTW) have always assumed, perhaps naively, that Malwarebytes would not pull the pattern updates for the program without some notice being given.

Unless and until they perhaps change the format of the pattern updates to a format that 3.5.1 does not understand, I can't see any reason why they would do it.
If the format does change, I can see that they wouldn't want to carry on producing the old format as well just to keep compatibility with 3.5.1, but you never know.

This was posted less than a year ago, which looks hopeful in the short term, as does this.

Don't worry, I'm under no illusion that pattern updates will remain forever, and I know they could be pulled at any time, I just hope there is some notice given.
:)

43 minutes ago, mina7601 said:

the update package version is 1.0.29424, which is the latest at the moment.

... Many thanks for testing this :worship: ; so, it proves it can still successfully update its definitions, the same way as on WinXP :thumbup ... But this finding of yours contradicts with the linked discussion in the MB Support Forum :dubbio:; not that sterling of a "support", is it? :angry: I bet no-one there actually tried that "legacy" 3.5.1 version on either XP/Vista - yet, they were quick to disseminate what they were probably trained to say: "Every WinOS below Win10 is a security menace" (and what I found particularly distasteful was their suggestion below:

By hook or by crook get onto Windows 10 or 11

; I'm not a native English speaker, but, surely, "by crook" doesn't imply pirated versions, does it? :realmad: ) ...

Edited by VistaLover

7 minutes ago, VistaLover said:

; I'm not a native English speaker, but, surely, "by crook" doesn't imply pirated versions, does it? :realmad: ) ...

Let's assume that this was not what was meant. Rather to move with all means in the direction of Windows 10 or 11. :realmad: nonono.gif  thumbdown.gif

15 hours ago, Dave-H said:

Don't worry, I'm under no illusion that pattern updates will remain forever, and I know they could be pulled at any time, I just hope there is some notice given.

I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to pull them now, to be honest.

On 3/29/2023 at 12:11 AM, AstroSkipper said:

Hello @Dave-H! I finally got Malwarebytes Premium 3.5.1.2522 working in my second system partition. :cheerleader: I updated it, and the version of its definitions is 1.0.29410 I received today, 28-03-2023. Do you have the same version in your installation? Is that the most recent? I had a look at the MBAM forum and read some comment (also some of yours :P). There I found this topic: https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/295844-legacy-3512522-sudden-red-triangle-your-updates-are-not-current/#comment-1558895
It seems that Malwarebytes wants to completely discontinue support for version 3.5.1.2522, even under Windows XP. No further update of the definitions!? What do you know and think about this? :dubbio:

Cheers :)

On 3/29/2023 at 1:55 AM, AstroSkipper said:

And did you read the linked topic? That sounds pretty serious to me. :dubbio:

19 hours ago, VistaLover said:
On 3/29/2023 at 3:53 PM, AstroSkipper said:

Although Malwarebytes announced lifetime support as a nice present for Windows XP users,
I came across this thread in their forum: 
https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/295844-legacy-3512522-sudden-red-triangle-your-updates-are-not-current
I really hope this doesn't concern Windows XP. At the moment, updating of Malwarebytes Premium 3.5.1.2522 works.

XP (and Vista) users should really keep an eye on that thread :( ; things look grim :angry: ... The opening post there displays a picture of what Dave described in a previous post here:

On 3/29/2023 at 1:26 AM, Dave-H said:

There have been a few scares where the definition updates stopped coming in, with a red triangle on the system tray icon, but it was always resolved once people posted on the Malwarebytes forum about it.

However, this time the MB staff aren't interested in "resolving it"; according to the reporter (and confirmed by a staff member), Malwarebytes Premium Legacy 3.5.1.2522 can no longer receive def updates under Vista/Win7 - thanks to user feedback in this thread, we do know XP installations still receive these :thumbup; but all the MB staff can, apparently, do is endlessly recite ad nauseam the "inherent perils of running Microsoft unsupported Windows versions like XP/Vista :angry:; as per @Imacri's post 3hr ago, MB staff have started wiping out Forum references to "Malwarebytes support for legacy Windows XP and Vista Operating Systems"; what comes next :dubbio:?

OT: @mina7601; Since you seem to have a Vista SP2 VM installed, could you be so kind as to try MB Legacy 3.5.1.2522 there and check whether its defs can be updated? Thanks in advance ;) ...

I didn't want to miss the opportunity to post a statement about Malwarebytes and what's going on there in the aforementioned thread: https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/296406-windows-xp-does-not-have-lifetime-support/#comment-1561182
In case of deleting my comment, I made a picture from my statement:

Legacy-3-5-1-2522-sudden-Red-Triangle-Yo

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

3 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

In case of deleting my comment, I made a picture from my statement:

... "They" seem to have moved your post to its own standalone thread now:

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/296406-windows-xp-does-not-have-lifetime-support/

You should probably edit that first post, to include a link to the originating thread, so it doesn't look out of place on its own ;) ; truth be told, I don't think you can achieve much :( there, except for venting a bit ;) ...

Edited by VistaLover

Reading all this, it seems that Malwarebytes will indeed stop supporting Windows XP and Vista very soon, unfortunately. :angry:
Read these sources:
https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/295844-legacy-3512522-sudden-red-triangle-your-updates-are-not-current/#comment-1558895
https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/296406-windows-xp-does-not-have-lifetime-support/#comment-1561182
https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/144824-malwarebytes-commits-to-lifetime-support-for-xp-users/

Anyway! No good news! nimportequoi.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

39 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

I haven't seen any post saying XP and Vista support will end, but I saw this one:

"We will try to support XP for as long as possible but obviously we cannot support it for lifetime."

Edited by mina7601

Unless and until this actually happens, I'm not going to worry about it!
Do bear in mind that dropping  support for version 3.5.1 is not the same as withdrawing pattern updates sent to it.
All that means is that if there's a problem, Malwarebytes will no longer help you to solve it.
Again, I see no reason to drop pattern updates as long as the pattern file format is compatible with the program.

56 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

Unless and until this actually happens, I'm not going to worry about it!
Do bear in mind that dropping  support for version 3.5.1 is not the same as withdrawing pattern updates sent to it.
All that means is that if there's a problem, Malwarebytes will no longer help you to solve it.
Again, I see no reason to drop pattern updates as long as the pattern file format is compatible with the program.

The support for Malwarebytes Premium 3.5.1.2522 has already been dropped for years. No new program updates! As far as I correctly understood and I asked there directly, they want to drop the definition updates (what you call pattern updates) for this version. :realmad: Look in "my" thread there whatever my thread means in that forum! I think my thread is more their thread:realmad:

Edited by AstroSkipper

33 minutes ago, VistaLover said:

@lmacri: At the time of this writing, MBL 3.5.1.2522 can still successfully update its malware definitions on-line, both when installed on WinXP SP3 ("Premium" version, see here, here and here), and Vista SP2 ("Free" version, see here) ;) ...

I booted into my second Windows XP partition one hour ago. The last version of my definitions was 1.0.29432. So for now, updating of definitions is working. :thumbup
BTW, the topic in Malwarebytes forum will be closed soon. I am no longer interested to talk to such moderators as Porthos or AdvancedSetup. I have left an appropriate closing comment after all these kind words. :P

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content