Which Antiviruses are Known for a Fact to be Working on XP SP3 as of 2019?

spacequakes

13 hours ago, legacyfan said:

I just found a list from AV-Test that shows the top tested antivirus for xp in 2014 (there are some good options on there) https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/windows-xp/june-2014/

I know this list. AV-Test is always a good source to get information about antivirus programs. Unfortunately, this list is from 2014 and thus almost 9 years old. We have already discussed here some of the antivirus programs listed there. Including Qihu 360 Total Security which was already mentioned in this thread here: 

and here: 

Overloaded security programs are not my taste, but the current Qihu 360 Total Security 10.8.0.1541 still seems to support Windows XP: https://www.360totalsecurity.com/en/features/360-total-security/ The others on this list as for example Avira, Norton, BullGard, Trend Micro, Eset, G Data, and so on have given up any support for Windows XP a long time ago. Therefore, such lists are of little use today. So what are the new good options? :dubbio:I can't see them. nimportequoi.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

Qihu 360 Total Security 10.8.0.1541 still supports Windows XP according to their homepage and is free of charge. Only the premium version is commercial. I never used it before. So I don't know anything about these installers from Qihu:no: Therefore, as always, be careful! jaioublie.gif The link on their homepage downloads an outdated installer with the version number 10.8.0.1382. Therefore, the download link must be updated to download the current version 10.8.0.1541. Here is the updated link: https://free.360totalsecurity.com/totalsecurity/360TS_Setup_10.8.0.1541.exe link.gif

Edit: The download link on Qihu's homepage seems to have been updated now.

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

I did a short test of Qihu 360 Total Security 10.8.0.1541 on my second system partition. I can't say anything about the quality of its protection, but quite a bit about the installer and what is installed. There is no way to do an individual installation. Particularly annoying is the so-called desktop manager, which is of course installed without being asked and has moved all my icons on the desktop. :realmad: I don't like this program and can't recommend it. :no: And I miss the main focus on security, but many unnecessary functions instead.

Here is a link to a test performed by PCMag:  https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/qihoo-360-total-security-86
The results and evaluation are also quite poor, similar to my first impressions.

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

17 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

I hope you are not serious about sending me links containing malware files. If you have a problem with Panda Dome, can't configure it properly or can't operate it, please contact the support of Panda! Anyway! Do not send me any links containing malware files!

Yes, I wasn't serious. don't worry. Well, forget that link I sent then. Sorry about that. How about the screencap I sent instead? And I don't have any problems with Panda Dome by the way, this is a clean installation of Panda Dome.

Edited by mina7601

I did a second test, but instead of Qihu 360 Total Security 10.8.0.1541, I installed Qihu 360 Total Security Essential 8.8.0.1119 on my second system partition. I can't say anything about the quality of its protection either, but no such bloatware and desktop manager anymore.. The whole installation process is far more pleasant. There is an option to install additionally the browser Opera but you can untick it. Although the program is an older version from 18.12.2019, its virus definitions can still be updated. The installation file is 360TSE_Setup_8.8.0.1119.exe and is unfortunately no longer available on their homepage. But you can find it using a search engine in the internet, for example here: https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/360_total_security_essentials.html :) I really don't know why this product was abandonded. :no:

In the case of Qihu, once again, the newer the worse. smilie_denk_24.gif

Cheers, AstroSkipper smilie_i_007.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

Qihu 360 Total Security Essential 8.8.0.1119 is quite ok as an alternative in Windows XP where the choice of antivirus programs is very limited. Although I can't say much about the quality of its protection, you have the option of installing the Avira Scan Engine. This increases the detection rate of this program considerably, as AV-Test has shown in the follow-up version.
Here is an image taken from the test:

Test-Antivirus-Programme-Qihoo-360-I-AV-

First a screenshot of the main interface:

Qihu-Total-Security-Essential-8-8-0-1119

And now a screenshot of my security configuration especially in terms of the Avira Scan Engine:

Qihu-Total-Security-Essential-8-8-0-1119

In this screenshot above, you see I changed the protection mode from the default Balanced to Custom,  and I enabled the Avira Scan Engine. Or you set the maximum protection mode Security. This definitely improves the program's detection rate.

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper

On 3/24/2023 at 10:49 AM, Dave-H said:

I've been using Malwarebytes Premium on XP for several years now. It's not free, but it just works.
Strange how people have very different experiences with these programs on their systems.
I never had any problem installing MB Premium on either of my XP systems, but my main desktop absolutely refused to work with Avast or AVG!
They would install fine, but the main service refused to start, and I never found out why this was.
I too spent ages on their forums and with their technical support, and apart for the vague 'some people do have this problem on XP' no answer was ever found.
:)

Yeah, it just works with little interaction(s)

FWIW:

Even version 1.09.4.1001 just updated a few minutes ago along with MB Anti-Rootkit 1.10.3.1001.

Just saying they do work but can't say much for their detection ability.

spacer.png

Edited by XPerceniol

I totally forgot to mention that the impact of system resources by Qihu 360 Total Security Essential 8.8.0.1119 is very low. One hardly notices the presence of this program in the background. And that in my very old, weak system! Additionally, here is the version history of Qihu 360 Total Security Essential:

Version-History-I-360-Total-Security-Ess

I think I'll keep it on my second system partition for a while or longer.

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

1 minute ago, legacyfan said:

eset antivirus supports windows xp up to v9 but anything after that won't work https://forum.eset.com/topic/23372-nod32-anti-virus-for-windows-xp-32-bit/ download on page 

I used ESET NOD32 Antivirus 9.0.429.2 for years but this last XP-compatible version doesn't receive virus defintions anymore. I already wrote about that. Have a look here:

:)

In my main system partition, I'll stay with Panda Dome in any case. In my second system partition, I'll give Qihu 360 Total Security Essential 8.8.0.1119 a try, based on my positive experience so far. I generally prefer lightweight antivirus programs. Avast and AVG are too bloated, very resource-hungry and cumbersome. I have had that pleasure in the past. smilie_denk_24.gif

But what can I say? 5818.png

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

On 3/24/2023 at 4:49 PM, Dave-H said:

I've been using Malwarebytes Premium on XP for several years now. It's not free, but it just works.

Hello @Dave-H! I finally got Malwarebytes Premium 3.5.1.2522 working in my second system partition. :cheerleader: I updated it, and the version of its definitions is 1.0.29410 I received today, 28-03-2023. Do you have the same version in your installation? Is that the most recent? I had a look at the MBAM forum and read some comment (also some of yours :P). There I found this topic: https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/295844-legacy-3512522-sudden-red-triangle-your-updates-are-not-current/#comment-1558895
It seems that Malwarebytes wants to completely discontinue support for version 3.5.1.2522, even under Windows XP. No further update of the definitions!? What do you know and think about this? :dubbio:

Cheers :)

Edited by AstroSkipper