Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

spacequakes

Antivirus for xp?

2 hours ago, Vistaboy said:

So the only thing you can do to secure an old browser (without security updates) is installing an AV like Kaspersky (Free) that integrates itself in the browser to prevent malware exploit on security leak unpatched by the unwilling gg boys.

If we need to run that kind of rotten bloatware, the advantage of running XP is totally lost.

The only thing you can do to secure any kind of web browser is to use malware lists in µBlock Origin and to use a fake user agent.

Nowadays there's a lot of "security experts" on forums, they seem really worried about how secured is their computer. I think it's because they don't know how a computer work. :lol: So they think that constantly play the Russian roulette with system updates gives them a great level of security and of course a great knowledge in computing. In fact most of these never wrote a single line of code in their life and totally ignore how a software work. That's precisely why they are so worried, not understanding how their system can be screwed up. :lol:

I always wonder how many of these "experts" disable Remote Desktop services and of course how many of these "experts" regularly backup their data. How many of these "experts" don't save the password of their bank account on their computer then the browser asks to do so. :lol:

Personally, the only system I hope is secured is the server of my bank account but for my personal computer I don't care a d*** if anyone get access to my holiday pictures. :lol:

Instead of believing in fake security, I prefer on the contrary to know that my computer is vulnerable then I take care and I do some backups. I would do exactly the same with a supposedly "secured" system. There's surely some backdoors in any MS system anyway so computing security is done for simple minded people.

Have a nice day. :)

Edited by hotnuma
  • Like 1

I've been running computers for 20 years without antivirus and only a couple times I can count on 1 hand that I was infeccted and I been able to delete the virus or whatever myself,  Every time It was my own Fault.  I have never run Internet Explorer ever.  Like really people like me who know how virus make their way onto computers and how they install themselves you can stop reading.

I recommend a few things.  Autoruns (sysinternals) and Process Explorer (sysinternals).  CCleaner.  Also Stop hiding Folders on your computer so if you get a Virus you can Actually Delete it.  Learn how Virus Install themselfs.  Most the comon ones Try to put themselfs in the Run/Startup folder or in the Windows/Run Registry root.  They are also know to infect things like Active Desktop If you are smart you should just disable that and your hosts files.

A good prgram to run if you think you have a Virus is something called McAfee Stinger.  Clam win doesn't have any real time protection and its algorythems are not that great but its updated frequently and there is a pluging that adds real time protection.  Microsoft Security Essentials is weak at stopping and Cleaning Virus but its free and Far less bloated or intrusive.  Stay away from Kasperky, Symantec, or Mcafee. 

The only version of Symantec that I ever used that was good was the Corporate Edition.  McAfee VirusScan Enterprise.  All other Versions are total Trash stay away.

here is a good list of utility programs that can help you remove a virus if u really get one.  https://www.topbestalternatives.com/mcafee-stinger/

Edited by Destro
  • Like 1

@Vistaboy

It all comes down to the user. A user has complete control over the vulnerabilities of a machine.

I can infect a Windows 10 machine in under 5 minutes. Just like there is no guarantee against terrorism, no version of Windows is 100% secure.

• Like 1

This is exactly the message that needs to be widespread, and i'm sure that on MSFN there are really great security experts (without needing to do silly humor), but it is public forum and i think it's better to alert people rather than saying don't worry because if you stay at your home and you know what you are doing there's no need of AV but in several public institution (schools, hospitals, municipalities) you really can't imagine how many hundreds of pc I've seen with XP (not even embedded) connected to the network with people that do everything.  

Edited by Vistaboy

If your computers are in a puplic setting they should be locked down hard with AD so the end user cannot do anything.  I would even go as far as locking their images down with EWF so nothing can be written to the disks.  And any personal files should be stored on a networked drive.  You don't get virus that way.

Edited by Destro

MSE 4.4.304.0 can still be used and works great. All the info one needs is in "Microsoft Security Essentials and Windows XP" <link>.  'Nuff said!

• Upvote 1

@Vistaboy

I realize this is a public forum, but at what point do we hold people responsible for their own actions? Are we going to dictate what people are going to run on their computers? Are we going to outlaw classic cars because they don't have seatbelts? A car without seatbelts is more likely to kill you than Windows XP without updates.

People need to make decisions without hand holding. They are not absolved of personal responsibility just because information is public. We are turning into a nanny culture. It's a free country here in the US, and people need to realize there are consequences for everything you do in life.

• Upvote 2

98% current exploit kits doesnot work on XP!! . My theory , more old is your sytem  you are less affected .

In this week's 97 exclusive exploit are found for Windows 7 to 10 . Microsoft doesnot wants to consider these as vulnerability that means they will not patch . All of these security leaks are more severe than NSA eternal romance. Where you live in @Vistaboy? A insecure world right?

Fell like it's worth mentioning here that theres an add on for firefox called No Script.  https://noscript.net/

And to be totally obvious about this peice of software is that It hardens Firefox attack serfice so hard that you cannot even view most web pages properly until u set up whitelists.  Like if you only use firefox and no script it is impossible to get a virus browsing a web page.  That means the only way your getting a virus is to download somthing and click it.  That is pretty much your own stupidity at that point. For not scanning the file for virus.  You could get a virus through email, but probably not webmail.  And only from an attachment again you are clicking things. 

Addblock Plus + Noscript + HTTPs Everywhere + maybe ghostery.  You are secure.  Very.

Edited by Destro
  • Upvote 1