Creating a Full-Blown Compatibility Layer.

Dibya

14 hours ago, Dibya said:

ExtendedXP Released . Fast and Stable version

https://ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=10631&p=142341#p142341

Awesome!

Can this work on existing XP installation?

Or should I patch install media and reinstall XP from scratch?

Seems to be working on existing XP install. Although admittedly all I've done thus far is see if it boots.

I recall you mentioned earlier that you manage to get the Intel USB 3.0 drivers to work on XP using this extension, could you show me how you did that?

2 hours ago, Damnation said:

Seems to be working on existing XP install. Although admittedly all I've done thus far is see if it boots.

I recall you mentioned earlier that you manage to get the Intel USB 3.0 drivers to work on XP using this extension, could you show me how you did that?

thats require my moded ntoskrnl.exe and other few .sys files . please wait . Some functions need to be stabilized

Ashampoo Win Optimizer Working Fine
AIMP Music Player working fine
Palemoon Working fine
Avg pc tuneup working fine
CFF Explorer working fine
FleX Hex Editor working fine
HxD Hex editor working fine
ImgBurn working fine
powershell working fine
Microsoft Assesories working fine
Internet Cyclone working fine
Windows Media player 11 working fine
Internet Download Manager working fine
IObit Uninstaller working fine
nlite working fine
poweriso working fine
Razer Gamebooster working fine
Klite Codec Pack not working
IDAPro 6.8 working fine
Skype working fine
Tuneup utilities 2014 working fine
UniExtract working fine
Firefox 51.0.1 working fine
Opera36 Working fine
WinRAR working fine
PeExplorer working fine
Visual Studio 2010 Pro working fine
MS Office 2010 Working fine
Internet Explorer 8 working fine
Virtualpc2007 working fine
notepad++ working fine
SumatraPDF Working fine
TCP Optimizer working fine
ExamDiff working fine
CacheMan Working fine
Advance SystemCare working fine
Immunity Debugger working fine
Bz Binery Editor Japan working fine
Anime Studio working fine
Manga Studio working fine
OpenCanvas Working fine
Utorrent working fine

Leaving Klite every apps are running . System is slightly slowed done . is it fine ?

There are 3 problems with ExtendedXP Release,

ws2_32.dll
exist version 5.1.2600.7074 (from KB3161949 Secure update June 2016) > ExtendedXP version 5.1.2600.5514

If the security update is already included in the file "ws2_32.dll", otherwise there might be a security vulnerability! Also, this patched file is not installed because the existing version is higher than the version to be installed. :no:

mfc40.dll
exist version 4.1.0.6151 (932 KB (954.368 Bytes)) > ExtendedXP version 4.1.0.6151 (932 KB (954.752 Bytes ???))

mfc40u.dll
exist version 4.1.0.6151 (931 KB (953.856 Bytes)) > ExtendedXP version 4.1.0.6151 (931 KB (954.288 Bytes ???))

Were changes made to the two files? If so, why was the version number not adapted? :dubbio:

A thank you to @blackwingcat for the mfc extension patch (KB2584577-v0.4), the ReactOS team (Wine project authors), to @Dibya for the supplements and all the people who have contributed.

:)

4 hours ago, heinoganda said:

There are 3 problems with ExtendedXP Release,

ws2_32.dll
exist version 5.1.2600.7074 (from KB3161949 Secure update June 2016) > ExtendedXP version 5.1.2600.5514

If the security update is already included in the file "ws2_32.dll", otherwise there might be a security vulnerability! Also, this patched file is not installed because the existing version is higher than the version to be installed. :no:

mfc40.dll
exist version 4.1.0.6151 (932 KB (954.368 Bytes)) > ExtendedXP version 4.1.0.6151 (932 KB (954.752 Bytes ???))

mfc40u.dll
exist version 4.1.0.6151 (931 KB (953.856 Bytes)) > ExtendedXP version 4.1.0.6151 (931 KB (954.288 Bytes ???))

Were changes made to the two files? If so, why was the version number not adapted? :dubbio:

A thank you to @blackwingcat for the mfc extension patch (KB2584577-v0.4), the ReactOS team (Wine project authors), to @Dibya for the supplements and all the people who have contributed.

:)

THose mfc  files are from kernelEx 2000 by BlackWingCat .

I will update ws2_32.dll

Thanks heinoganda.

I have even plan to make security patches for xp after Microsoft ends support in April 9 2019.

Please if anyone need any api please ask me . I believe i can soon make newer .net usable with XP but i need some one who can repack .net 4.5.2 and .net 4.6.2 installer for xp ( Removing language pack , adding update , making installer xp compatible )

Please try update kernel, shell, advapi32 to run OneDrive.

kernel32

CompareStringOrdinal,FindFirstFileNameW, GetVolumeInformationByHandleW, SetFileInformationByHandle, GetFileInformationByHandleEx, GetUserDefaultLocaleName, LCIDToLocaleName, CreateThreadpoolWait, SetThreadpoolWait, WaitForThreadpoolWaitCallbacks, CloseThreadpoolWait, CreateEventExW, FindNextFileNameW, GetProductInfo, GetUserDefaultLocaleName, WerUnregisterFile, WerRegisterFile

advapi32

EventWrite, EventUnregister, EventRegister, EnableTraceEx, RegGetValueW, RegDeleteTreeW, RegSetKeyValueW, RegDeleteKeyExW

PDH.DLL
PdhAddEnglishCounterW

shell32
SHGetKnownFolderPath, SHCreateItemFromParsingName, SHSetKnownFolderPath, SHGetKnownFolderPath

ntdll from 8.1/10

Can we use ntdll from 8.1/10 and add missing functions from XP?:

CsrNewThread
CsrProbeForRead
CsrProbeForWrite
LdrAccessOutOfProcessResource
LdrAlternateResourcesEnabled
LdrCreateOutOfProcessImage
LdrDestroyOutOfProcessImage
LdrFindCreateProcessManifest
LdrHotPatchRoutine
NtCancelDeviceWakeupRequest
NtGetPlugPlayEvent
NtRequestDeviceWakeup
NtRequestWakeupLatency
RtlActivateActivationContextUnsafeFast
RtlAddRange
RtlAssert2
RtlCheckProcessParameters
RtlConvertUiListToApiList
RtlCopyRangeList
RtlDeactivateActivationContextUnsafeFast
RtlDeleteOwnersRanges
RtlDeleteRange
RtlEnlargedUnsignedDivide
RtlExtendHeap
RtlFindRang
RtlFreeRangeList
RtlFreeUserThreadStack
RtlGetFirstRange
RtlGetNextRange
RtlInitializeRangeList
RtlInitializeStackTraceDataBase
RtlInvertRangeList
RtlIsRangeAvailable
RtlMergeRangeLists
RtlSetUnicodeCallouts
RtlUsageHeap
ZwCancelDeviceWakeupRequest
ZwGetPlugPlayEvent
ZwRequestDeviceWakeup
ZwRequestWakeupLatency
_tolower
_toupper

Please don't get disheartened Dibya, I'm sure this is not because people aren't enthusiastic about what you're trying to achieve here.
The problem in these early days is that not that many people want to try modifying their existing setup and possibly compromising its stability just to be able to run a few relatively minor applications that probably not many people use anyway.
When you get to the stage where the current versions of browsers like Firefox and Chrome, and things like Dropbox and Plex, are able to still be run on XP even though they are officially incompatible, then you will see interest really spike up I'm sure!
:yes:

Currently I don't have a lot of time to test, unfortunately... :-/
What about putting your code and build environment on github so that people can contribute and add missing functions to let it grow faster?
Or doesn't it build automatically?

2 minutes ago, leecher said:

Currently I don't have a lot of time to test, unfortunately... :-/
What about putting your code and build environment on github so that people can contribute and add missing functions to let it grow faster?
Or doesn't it build automatically?

I have no build environment . I use Hexeditor , modexp , Cffexplorer , pemaker , ida pro , my own relocation editor

I would love to have a build environment.

12 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

Please don't get disheartened Dibya, I'm sure this is not because people aren't enthusiastic about what you're trying to achieve here.
The problem in these early days is that not that many people want to try modifying their existing setup and possibly compromising its stability just to be able to run a few relatively minor applications that probably not many people use anyway.
When you get to the stage where the current versions of browsers like Firefox and Chrome, and things like Dropbox and Plex, are able to still be run on XP even though they are officially incompatible, then you will see interest really spike up I'm sure!
:yes:

I think i have to wait until 2019 . That time i will have extremely compatibility . may be better than 7 and 8

thanks

50 minutes ago, Dibya said:

I have no build environment . I use Hexeditor , modexp , Cffexplorer , pemaker , ida pro , my own relocation editor

I would love to have a build environment.

I think i have to wait until 2019 . That time i will have extremely compatibility . may be better than 7 and 8

thanks

There certainly is a problem with this approach. For example, I have a German version of Windows XP and I don't want the messages from kernel32.dll to become English. So the XomPie-Approach is better with a replacement DLL that forwards all function calls to the original DLL and just contains the newly added functions. This way, you don't break i.e. language compatibility.It is easy to accomplish.

For patching internal functions in the target DLL it may be better to write a patcher so that language DLL can be kept and just gets a patched copy. If you need internal structures from the target System DLL that you are patching, you can use Symbol server to resolve them, I did this in NTVDMx64 loader for instance.

Edited by leecher

4 hours ago, Dibya said:

Hello ! I am not getting much people interested in ExtendedXP. should i stop making new releases ?

Maybe the issue is in the actual way the thingy is presented, very few people will have the guts to test this kind of things on their machines until there isn't some definite documentation, howto's etc. (and there is not every two days or so a post saying that current version is unstable and that next will be better).

Not that I am going to test it any soon, but IF I was going to test it, I would expect:

1) a project homepage

2) some - even minimal - documentation

3) a list of compatible/not compatible programs

4) a very extensive documentation on the source (and legality or lack of it) of every file included

5) a basic howto on how to implement testing

Right now I can see only a thread here where everything (and the contrary of it) is stated every few days by members reporting or completely failing to properly report apparently random tests.

All of this is of course good and fine in the early stages of development :), but if you want to gain some "traction" in the community you will IMHO need to make things easier for the less experienced users (and for the ol' dinosaurs).

jaclaz

I do not mind pushing a project, but the whole thing looks as if you are working on a variety of projects or starting various projects instead of growing into an overall concept. Ultimately, then an installation routine, where some files are not installed if no appropriate file older version exists. Well that's not a good foundation, it's just sloppy and disappointing. Please do not be angry with me Dibya, things are now a big blow you finally wake up and you're a few times thinking about. :dubbio:

Website ? A blog site may do . I will write every documentation please wait for summer vacation to come . I will have lot of free time to spend . My friend FranceBB will put up everything on github so please wait . let us work . Dear heinoganda has fixed many bug with installer thread is getting updated soon . Should i make a another thread for extendedXP?

Edited by Dibya