Windows 8 Embeded updates on Windows 8?

HarryTri

"Security Update for Adobe Flash Player for Windows Embedded 8 Standard for x64 systems (KB3174060)"

It came along with Windows Malware Removal Tool this patch Tuesday on my Windows 8. I had to uninstall it because it made IE10 almost unusable but... Windows Embedded 8 Standard? From when are they around and can somebody port their updates to Windows 8 as the Windows POSready 2009 ones to Windows XP (although the mentioned update makes me hesitating to do it anyway)? 

12 minutes ago, HarryTri said:

How do you know which ones are for Windows 8? You just install them or you have to use any tricks?

Nope, he just installs thems, reboots and hopes for the best :D

But Server 2012 and Windows 8.0 are practically the same, and @JodyT has been installing updates successfully since February 2016, so we can make a good assumption they will keep working moving forward.

Hi, Harry! Try going to the MS Update Catalog Main Page (must be on IE), and then search for Windows Server 2012.
Then download the "Security Update for Adobe Flash Player for Windows Server 2012 (KB3174060)" and try it. It should just work.
And that's the place for harvesting the other updates in JodyT's thread, too.
In any case, I'm really surprised an update to Flash Player gave you grief...
I'm thinking something may have been very wrong with the intallation script...
...and JodyT has already tested the one I mentioned, which does work OK.

Thanks for the information. The strange thing is that this update came to me from Windows Update, I didn't even know that there is such thing like Windows 8 Embeded. Well, I just hid it and I'll see what I'll do with the updates issue.

Edited by HarryTri

On Friday, July 15, 2016 at 3:08 PM, HarryTri said:

How do you know which ones are for Windows 8? You just install them or you have to use any tricks?

Well the updates for Server 2012 are distributed using file names denoted as Windows8-RT-KBxxxxx.  So saying they are not the same codebase as Windows 8 would be untrue.  Moonchild (over at the Pale Moon Forums) vehemently disagrees with this philosophy.  He does not, for example, recognize Server 2003 x64 and XP x64 as one and the same (meanwhile many of the updates were for both OSs.).  To him, Vista and Server 2008 are not one and the same either.  But their updates do work, trust me.

:)

Moonchild (who has my respect and whose work is great) has positions regarding the so-called EoS NT-family OSes much in line with MS's own, and that's surprising, if not actually perplexing... he, at the same time resisted change so strongly as to branch off a browser (Pale Moon) from FF, while making any MS fanboi ashamed when compared with his positions regarding the EoS NT-family OSes! :wacko:
So, in what regards the so-called EoS NT-family OSes, with all due respect, Moonchild's position can be regarded as the ASTM standard opinion Satya Nadella would like to be able to hold, but lacks sufficient indoctrination not to be ashamed of... Go figure!

I don't think he'll be as hard-fisted towards Windows NT 6x based systems as they drop off.  Windows 8 still works and should for the foreseeable future.  He had mentioned once that he does not intend to yank Vista support too early.  So that's promising.

I don't think that Moonchild and Matt Tobin are that big of fans of the newest "metrofied" Windows builds like 8x or 10.  They seemed to be squared right in on Windows 7.  That doesn't have that long of a future.  So what will their position be in January 2020?

Dencorso, comparing their stance on post-support OS releases VS breaking away from Firefox is a tad different.  The browser they have forked is still up to date rendering-wise, and has security releases made for it.  Pale Moon is still fully completely compatible with today's web.  Old Windows version on the other hand can't work with all of today's hardware or applications, and you may say, but if vendors created drivers and made apps compatible, then they would work.  But that's no different from any other OS in the past, is it?  And old DLLs can be demonstrated to be more exploitable.  The moment you guys say, "I love Windows 2000, but DON't BANK online with it", then you've agreed that the OS is no longer up to snuff in some small way or form, right?

I guess now that I've moved to Windows 8, I'm happy with it.  I was still sympathetic to those wishing to save XP. up until Server 2003 support bit the dust.  After that point, I could see that many applications and codecs were no longer being supported in the same way.  So the fun ride seems to be over now.

I found the Windows Server 2012 updates on the Microsoft Update Catalog page, I picked Cumulative Security Update for IE 10 (KB3170106) and Security Update for Adobe Flash Player (KB3174060), it was impossible to add them to the cart so I had to find them from other places in order to download them. I didn't mess with the rest of the updates, they are so many and it would be very helpful if there was a registry hack like the one for Windows XP and Windows POSready 2009 updates so that we could do the job with Windows Update. The Security Update for Adobe Flash Player must be the same with the one for Windows Embedded, it causes the same problem anyway: IE 10 hangs on several web pages and I had to disable the Shockwave Flash Object add-on (Flash.ocx) in order to make it work properly. Of course Flash Player is disabled in this way, I can of course enable it when needed, anyway let's hope that the August's update will fix this.

No, I put things in the cart and when I open it it is empty! Maybe it detects that the updates aren't meant for my OS? I lowered the security settings of IE 10 to the lowest level but it made no difference.

• 3 months later...

The Win8 embedded standard updates made after Jan. 2016 can also be applied to the normal/client version of Win8 (so far).

Open a Windows8-RT-KBxxxxx.MSU file in 7zip, and double-click on the corresponding "pkgProperties.txt" file and see this line:

ApplicabilityInfo="Windows 8.0 Client;Windows 8.0 Embedded;Windows 8.0 Server;"

that line means that an MSU update can be installed onto Win8.0 client, embedded & "server" editions (the last one being Windows Server 2012 R0)

10 hours ago, erpdude8 said:

The Win8 embedded standard updates made after Jan. 2016 can also be applied to the normal/client version of Win8 (so far).

Open a Windows8-RT-KBxxxxx.MSU file in 7zip, and double-click on the corresponding "pkgProperties.txt" file and see this line:

ApplicabilityInfo="Windows 8.0 Client;Windows 8.0 Embedded;Windows 8.0 Server;"

that line means that an MSU update can be installed onto Win8.0 client, embedded & "server" editions (the last one being Windows Server 2012 R0)

Yeah, check out my repository (on my signature) of post January 2016 updates for 8.0, both x64 and x86 versions.