Microsoft security essentials and Windows XP

ND22

There are actually a discrepancy between the download via HTTP and WU/MU, especially since the update under MSE currently works only if no Antvirus or spyware definition is installed, there is no further update at the moment instead. (Current definition at this time version 1.233.1990.0)
Well, then here is a quick fix with the help of the task manager: (code to create a batch file, all 60 min Update)

@echo off

SET MIN=60

SchTasks /delete /TN MSE-Definition-Update /F

SchTasks /create /RU "NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM" /ST 00:00:00 /SC MINUTE /MO "%MIN%" /TN MSE-Definition-Update /TR "\"%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Security Client\MpCmdRun.exe\"-SignatureUpdate -MMPC"

For Uninstall the Task:

@echo off

SchTasks /delete /TN MSE-Definition-Update /F

Otherwise use the MSE definition downloader.

Update:
Attention! In MSE, the direct update of the definition (MU/WU) again works with the entry in the registry for POSReady 2009 (HKLM,"SYSTEM\WPA\POSReady", Installed, 0x10001,1)! If you do not want this entry, you must use the alternative download options (HTTP)!

:)

Edited by heinoganda

I am using

Antimalware Client Version: 4.4.304.0
Engine Version: 1.1.13303.0
Antivirus definition: 1.233.2072.0
Antispyware definition: 1.233.2072.0

On XP SP3

Like I said untill a few days ago it did automatically, if you click the update it does searching then says it is upto date

so have to download the ide's and manually install

On 11/12/2016 at 6:35 PM, heinoganda said:

Update:
Attention! In MSE, the direct update of the definition (MU/WU) again works with the entry in the registry for POSReady 2009 (HKLM,"SYSTEM\WPA\POSReady", Installed, 0x10001,1)! If you do not want this entry, you must use the alternative download options (HTTP)!

I Don't have POSReady in the regstry i have looked in HKLM,"SYSTEM\WPA

reg1.JPG

Edited by DrWho3000
Update

I can confirm the same exact symptoms as DrWho3000. Stopped updating automatically 4 days ago. It used to update on its own once per day via MSE without any add-on programs or external hacks. Now even if you click on the manual update button, it searches for update, and then returns to the same screen without doing anything, and still says "you should update them now".

Windows xp sp3 mse 4.4.304 defs 1.233.1759.0

Regarding POSReady, is there a way to simply add this entry to registry and then MSE auto update will work again?

17 minutes ago, mo832 said:

Regarding POSReady, is there a way to simply add this entry to registry and then MSE auto update will work again?

Yes, that's all that's required in my experience. Just add the registry entry, and not only does MSE auto-update start working, but you'll get ~70 other updates from MU that you've missed since Win XP EoL.

@Mathwiz

Could you pllease give step-by-step instructions, with full text to type in order to complete this entry. I don't want to make a fatal error with the registry and I don't want to assume something I should not, or do it wrong.

Also, I would like to know the concerns for deciding to enable the POS entry. I was reading some months ago that it may cause some unwanted behavior in a standard PC because it is not intended for a POS system and some things may not be relevant and cause strange behavior, perhaps disable some features against your wishes. Is there  reason to be concerned or to avoid installing the POS ??

9 minutes ago, mo832 said:

Also, I would like to know the concerns for deciding to enable the POS entry. I was reading some months ago that it may cause some unwanted behavior in a standard PC because it is not intended for a POS system and some things may not be relevant and cause strange behavior, perhaps disable some features against your wishes. Is there  reason to be concerned or to avoid installing the POS ??

Read the above topic.

jaclaz

since I have never used the POSReady updates, I have a question:

Is it possible to have the new updates presented to you (over 70 available according to user above), but just choose the ones you want and ignore the rest? Is there still the option to download updates but not install, or notify updates but let me choose which ones to download, or ignore all updates?

Sorry, does not fit on this topic, but must be mentioned absolutely!
If you want to install the POSReady 2009 key in the registry and install updates, you must first install MSI 4.5 (KB942288-v3)! Since a security update is offered for MSI 4.5 and in this update (KB3196726 > KB3072630) no query of the existing version in the system (usually MSI 3.1) can lead to extreme malfunctions of Windows XP!

Download Windows Installer 4.5 Redistributable or direct WindowsXP-KB942288-v3-x86.exe (multilanguage)

Note: In the XP variant POSReady 2009 MSI 4.5 is included!

@harkaz

Would not be bad if it was mentioned in the first post of "POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU".

Edited by heinoganda

As far as I can tell it by opening (with WinRAR) of "WindowsXP-KB942288-v3-x86.exe" it is multilanguage.

(At first I also thought it was only for the ENU language version (x09) for XP. All the better, since MS has yet saved a few MB on the server. :blink: )

Edited by heinoganda

On 12/12/2016 at 6:16 PM, mo832 said:

@Mathwiz

Could you pllease give step-by-step instructions, with full text to type in order to complete this entry. I don't want to make a fatal error with the registry and I don't want to assume something I should not, or do it wrong.

Copy the following (which I copied from the first post at the POSReady '09 topic) into Notepad, save it as a file with a .reg extension, then double-click the file:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\WindowsEmbedded]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\WEPOS]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\WES]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\PosReady]
"Installed"=dword:00000001

This removes some possibly conflicting registry entries and sets the PosReady registry entry to "Installed." Then run Microsoft Update. As always, you can choose which updates are actually downloaded and installed.

To reverse, simply delete the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\PosReady registry key.