Microsoft security essentials and Windows XP

ND22

Thanks for the ideas and questions. Here's what I did.

I ran CHKDSK and let it do its thing, then when XP rebooted I ran the REPAIR.BAT file. After a few seconds, the result was as follows:

XP WinDefender update error.JPG

Never mind the typo on the first try... :blushing:

Launching Windows Defender, it still says it has old definitions, and the exclamation point still shows up next to the Defender icon in the notification area.

You asked which AV this machine is running. It's Avast Free. I scanned the computer with Avast, with MRT, and with Defender with the old definitions: no malware was found. I could scan the drive from a different PC.

Attempts today to update the Defender definitions through the program itself, as well as via Windows Update, have failed again.

Maybe I'll try the POSReady hack. If nothing else, the machine will get all sorts of other updates.

--JorgeA

Error 0x80070005 means "ACCESS DENIED"... Something is failing to write to something else.
I bet the problem is with access rights... Something may have changed some somewhere...
Try running as SYSTEM. You may use QwertyLab's runassystem for that.
A cmd box with SYSTEM privileges should be able to write anywhere, in principle.

Windows Defender Definition Updater for Windows XP

Download
here

Password

n3"y9Khb1%vA7eU3BYz$h6K§vM9Crj5V2P&I429TD

Update V1.1 on 07/11/2016

Spoiler

Various bugs corrected.

Update V1.0

Spoiler

Output once again revised, since only for spyware.

Note:
Have times longer Windows Defender tested when a current definition (starting from 13.05.2016) are no recent updates on the regular way found. In the Updater, there is the funtion of undo the antivirus update engine (RAUE) where that resolves the problem. (An intentional problem!)
The real problem is the case of an update in the backup folder of definion the files can not be overwritten. This problem is circumvented by the Windows Defender Definition Updater.

@PROBLEMCHYLD

In Version 4.8, first or second mod. Version?

:)

Edited by heinoganda

1 hour ago, heinoganda said:

Windows Defender Definition Updater for Windows XP

Download
here

Password

n3"y9Khb1%vA7eU3BYz$h6K§vM9Crj5V2P&I429TD

Note:
Have times longer Windows Defender tested when a current definition (starting from 13.05.2016) are no recent updates on the regular way found. In the Updater, there is the funtion of undo the antivirus update engine (RAUE) where that resolves the problem. (An intentional problem!)
The real problem is the case of an update in the backup folder of definion the files can not be overwritten. This problem is circumvented by the Windows Defender Definition Updater.

@PROBLEMCHYLD

In Version 4.8, first or second mod. Version?

Both versions spikes the cpu. Maybe MS did it on purpose.

Thank you @PROBLEMCHYLD@heinoganda, and @dencorso for the methods.

Unfortunately, this PC is being exceptionally stubborn:

For PROBLEMCHYLD's approach, in the Windows Update UI when I clicked to start the download, the dialog box disappeared into the system tray right away and if I hit Cancel before then the process would simply "fail to install." Maybe I'm not getting right the timing of the click.

For heinoganda's approach, after downloading and unpacking the RAR file as soon as I clicked on the EXE file the computer gave a BSOD. A trip to Event Viewer showed the following two events:

XP system error.JPGXP error 2.JPG

I'll try @dencorso's approach next chance I get.

--JorgeA

@JorgeA

Have you ever Defender uninstalled and then reinstalled?
Would I try definitely time because problem at least first of all be solved. Secondly, you can in the Directory "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Definition Updates\Backup" delete the contents and even try a definition update to install.

@PROBLEMCHYLD

The directory (C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Microsoft Antimalware\Definition Updates) the definition is stored in the folder with the GUID name, now it seems with every update this GUID to change with greater access to the HDD. If I noticed even with Windows Defender. Become times test with original service this scenario.

Edited by heinoganda

No, Defender has been installed (and never uninstalled) since soon after I put that PC into operation about five years ago. I'll do that if necessary. Should I?

--JorgeA

43 minutes ago, PROBLEMCHYLD said:

This is what I'm talking about, click the cancel update button while its searching. It seems to kill some type of overload task in the background.

Ah, I see.

In XP, Defender (as opposed to MSE) doesn't seem to offer me a way to cancel the search for updates. (I did see a Cancel button in Defender for Windows 7.) The "Check for updates now" button turns gray, and I get a balloon coming off the system tray saying that Windows Defender is checking for updates. That's it.

In case it matters, that's Windows Defender version 1.1.1593.

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA
(deleted images to avoid duplication; additional info)

At the moment I'm dancing at two weddings! Now I have both run on!

defandmse.jpg

@JorgeA
Did you get now solved the problem, Defender works again or has been uninstalled and reinstalled Defender?
The last official definition update where I get to regular way 1.219.1973.0 from 05/16/2016.

def1.jpgdef2.jpg

@PROBLEMCHYLD
The problem I can currently not quite understand respectively have it tried several times without this effect, but stay tuned!

Edited by heinoganda

I got it guys. Ignore the posts above, I will have them point here. 

Kill MsMpEng.exe in taskmanger. Then update the definitions. The system will seem like its frozen, IT IS NOT!!! Just wait, Everything will turn RED!! Ignore this, because once it has finish downloading and installing everything it will turn green again. That's it, that's all.

MSE48F.JPG

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

@PROBLEMCHYLD

Extract time Setup (MSEInstall_XP_EN-US.exe) in a folder, then also extract with 7zip from the file epp.msi (in x86 folder) the file "Antimalware_MsMpEng.exe" rename to "MsMpEng.exe" and copy in the program folder of MSE. After the computer restarts, the familiar message can be seen once again, because you can do it once to test whether there is the same problem. To return the message known to get rid of, just run in the folder of the extracted Setup files "restart.bat", a reboot may again necessary. (So you have at least the possibility also to a direct comparison of the two services.)

Note:
The service can be stopped and started again elegant.

net stop msmpsvc
net start msmpsvc

Edited by heinoganda

MsMpEng.exe is the culprit. Killing it and then updating the definitions seems to work. It was doing what svchost.exe did a while back, spiking the cpu to 100% crashing things. Thanks to everyone and especially heinoganda for the packages.