Microsoft security essentials and Windows XP

ND22

Running into a weird problem with MSE 4.4.304.0. I'm trying to run a "Quick Scan," and the scan always freezes after scanning 31868 items. I can't even cancel the scan at that point. I have to reboot to stop the frozen scan.

It isn't always the same item being scanned when it freezes, but it always seems to be the same number of items.

Have times Quick and Fullscan with MSE 4.4.304.0 (virus definition 1.233.2411.0) run, could not notice any abnormalities. Does it hang on a particular file? Other virus scanners ect. Installed? If necessary, scan the file system (chkdsk) for errors.

:)

This may or may not help, but I noticed that when I was using 1.233.2244.0,  the quick scan completed with something like 15900 items scanned. Then I read your post and updated (manually on the html page) the sig file to 2317.0 and ran another quick scan. This time it went over 31000 items and completed. The final number was past 31868, but I don't remember exactly how many it reported. So, you may want to try it again after updating to today's or tomorrow's sig file. It may be a glitch with the defs for that particular patch. I guess it's worth a try, no?

No errors on C:. Well, it was worth a shot.

With sig file 2434.0 it got up to 31951 items before freezing. This time it froze on or around item c:\...\Desktop\Screen Saver.lnk. When I try to restart, it says Microsoft Security Essentials is not responding. I click "End Now," then it goes ahead and ends anything else that's running, then it gets to the "Logging off..." message and won't go any further. I have to turn it off and reboot.

I suspect it's actually freezing on an item other than the last one it shows. I don't think it displays every item it scans, since the "Items scanned" often goes up by much more than one each time the screen updates. Makes it kind of hard to tell which item is actually causing it to freeze, though.

Already tried to reset the database of MSE (MpCmdRun.exe -RemoveDefinitions -All)?

Code for Batch:

@echo off
FOR /F "tokens=2* delims=	" %%a IN ('REG QUERY "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Antimalware" /v "InstallLocation"') DO SET "MSEInstallLocation=%%b"
"%MSEInstallLocation%\MpCmdRun.exe" -RemoveDefinitions -All

or Microsoft Security Essentials Updater.

If so, make sure that no malicious software is installed, scan with Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10 and / or Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
How it looks with the hardware (age and simple listing), memory size, possibly dusted, power supply some age weakness or defective capacitors on the mainboard.

Edited by heinoganda

Ran heinoganda's batch file, then re-downloaded and installed the current MSE definitions. This time it got up to 31983 entries. Stopped on Screen Saver.lnk shortcut again. That's the first time it's stopped on the same file twice, so I think I'll delete that shortcut and try again.

This is running on Windows Virtual PC, so I'm pretty confident it's not a hardware problem ;)

Yes I'm giving it 1 GB. I've been thinking of upping it to 2 GB though.

I tried MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware, but it kinda hosed my system. The virtual machine just crashed, and when I rebooted, all my personal settings (wallpaper, screen layout, etc.) were gone!

So I went back to an old backup and started from scratch. Put in the PosReady '09 registry hack, re-downloaded everything including MSE, and this time, the scan completed!

So I guess it's fixed, but I'll probably never know what was wrong with it to start with.

@Mathwiz

This week I just saw the malwarebytes version 3 has released and this version with me a lot of resources consumed, especially with the CPU. This software has to be "mature" again at the customer, I have assumed that the stable version 2.2.1.1043 is still current. It is promised that no additional virus scanner is needed. About the said problem with MSE, I have researched, but also no concrete reference to this problem, except that it worked with subsequent defenses or engine updates again. The fact is, I am currently no longer recommend the current version of malwarebytes for a cross-check, since there are still so much problems. I will continue to stay with Malwarebytes Antimalware, at the stable version 2.2.1.1043. I'm sorry, the malwarebytes has caused problems and hope that no important data has been lost. As far as memory is concerned, you can allocate more than 1GB to the VM, if the memory of the host computer allows it.

I still use Malwarebytes 1.75. It continues to get the latest malware definition updates; you just have to disable program updates so it doesn't try to upgrade itself to the newest version.

I never forgave them for cartoonifying Malwarebytes 2.x and making it look like a FAKE antivirus program! They toned down the huge red warnings after users revolted, but it still looks unprofessional and has too many nags to buy the full version.

Just to add ... I also still use Malwarebytes v1.75. I mentioned this in another post in Sep 2015. If you don't want v1.75 to upgrade to a new version, follow these steps:

"You don't have to upgrade when getting database updates for the older version, you need to take out the checkmarks under the 'Settings' tab.

Go to 'Settings' ... then go to 'Updater Settings' and uncheck:

Download and install program update if available ...

I also uncheck:

Notify me when a program update is ready for installation

I can get Database updates for the older 1.75 version and no 'Program Updates' are downloaded ... nothing is changed except for the newer Database updates."

Then if you want to update another computer "offline" ... just go to ...

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes  ... copy 'rules.ref' and in the Configuration folder copy 'database.conf' ... just replace these two files in the 'offline' computer and you have it currently updated.

So if you are having problems with an 'offline' computer and you already have Malwarebytes v1.75 installed, just update it and run the program, if you can't get online with that computer.

Edited by monroe

8 hours ago, heinoganda said:

@Mathwiz

This week I just saw the malwarebytes version 3 has released and this version with me a lot of resources consumed, especially with the CPU. This software has to be "mature" again at the customer, I have assumed that the stable version 2.2.1.1043 is still current. It is promised that no additional virus scanner is needed. About the said problem with MSE, I have researched, but also no concrete reference to this problem, except that it worked with subsequent defenses or engine updates again. The fact is, I am currently no longer recommend the current version of malwarebytes for a cross-check, since there are still so much problems. I will continue to stay with Malwarebytes Antimalware, at the stable version 2.2.1.1043. I'm sorry, the malwarebytes has caused problems and hope that no important data has been lost. As far as memory is concerned, you can allocate more than 1GB to the VM, if the memory of the host computer allows it.

Don't worry, it wasn't your fault. And I was able to mount my hosed .vhd and copy everything I thought was important (mostly emails) to the new system.

If I try Malwarebytes again, I'll try the 1.75 version recommended by others.

BTW, it looks like I spoke too soon - MSE is freezing up on scans again :( I'm pretty sure there's no malware on my system this time. The only things I've updated since the scan that worked was Firefox (from a very old version - 3.5 - to a slightly less old version - 31.8 ESR), Opera (12.17 to 12.18), Adobe Reader (from 10.something to 11.0.16), Flash and Shockwave Player (to the current versions). And of course, a slew of POSReady '09 updates from Microsoft. Seems unlikely that any of those would cause MSE to freeze on a scan, but it must be one of them!

Edit: Just remembered I also put NirSoft's Opera Password Viewer, and Elaborate Bytes' Virtual Clone Drive on the system. But that's it, I'm sure!

Edited by Mathwiz