Microsoft security essentials and Windows XP

ND22

I think (but haven't tested yet) that if one creates a scheduled task that runs MSEU v1.9 every 8h (or maybe even every 12h) should prevent MSE from trying to auto-update, even when keeping the POSReady trick key. And observe that the issue only happens once every 24h, so one that doesn't keep XP running constantly and has MSEU v1.9 in the Startup folder won't ever even notice it.

That does seem to work. I update every 4h (which is almost certainly overkill), from 7:15 PM until 11:15 AM the next day, and don't see errors, but didn't really understand why until you mentioned that. (I just figured, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.) Apparently MSE tries to update itself 24h after each successful update, so updating more frequently than that stops its own unsuccessful update attempts.

About the only time you might see an error is if you shut down for over 24h, so that it tries to update itself when you boot back up.

Am I correct in my understanding that if you run mse updater v1.9, and get the proper updates at periodic intervals, then even with all the error messages, this is just an annoyance, and of no functional problem?

The latest MSE engine is mpengine.dll v 1.1.16000.6. The large base virus definition files mpasbase.vdm and mpavbase.vdm also updated.

I had been updating the virus definition files manually using the older engine v 1.1.15800.1. It no longer works with the latest virus definition files. It starts to update but doesn't follow through.

This is not good.

I confirm it. On XP SP3, even MSE Updater  v1.9 does not succeed in updating the definitions, anymore.

It, however, works normally on 7 SP1 (see attached image), so it seems the format of the updates files has changed and the older engine v 1.1.15800.1 does not understand the new  v. 1.295.*.* series, while the new engine does. Please do notice I'm still using MSE v. 4.4.304.0 on 7 SP1, specifically to be able to do tests like these. Unless @heinoganda can come with a solution for this, I fear this time it's Game Over for us!  :ph34r:

mse.png

is there a problem or seems to be a problem with downloading latest IDE with the downloader as I get on both PC's  I get there is No updates availible could not update

using the 1.9 updater,

using MSE

Antimalware Client Version: 4.4.304.0
Engine Version: 1.1.15800.1
Antivirus definition: 1.293.2706.0
Antispyware definition: 1.293.2706.0

@heinoganda would it be possible to change the engine version in this version of MSE for XP SP3 ?

could we download the mpam-fe, extract all files to here

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Microsoft Antimalware\Definition Updates\Updates

then restart MSE for it to take effect as what we did before

Did come across my mind have they changed to 5.2 from 5.1 like they did once before

Edited by DrWho3000

7 hours ago, dencorso said:

Unless @heinoganda can come with a solution for this, I fear this time it's Game Over for us!  :ph34r:

Unfortunately, my fears have become true, with the upgrade of mpengine.dll to version 1.1.16000.6, the definitions for MSE with the last working version (1.1.15800.1) of mpengine.dll became unusable.

https://msfn.org/board/topic/175514-microsoft-security-essentials-and-windows-xp/?do=findComment&comment=1163844

:)

so it looks like it isn't possible then yo update then to mpengine.dll to version 1.1.16000

I had  thought doing it the harder way by opening mpam-fe copy All files to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Microsoft Antimalware\Definition Updates\Updates then restart MSE for it to take effect ?

I did check the SUbsystem of mpam-fe and it is 5.1 not like they did before and changes it to 5.2, BUT some are either 5.2 or 6

Edited by DrWho3000

1 hour ago, DrWho3000 said:

I had  thought doing it the harder way by opening mpam-fe copy All files to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Microsoft Antimalware\Definition Updates\Updates then restart MSE for it to take effect ?

That is how I have been doing it all along, no disrespect to heinoganda. I have been extracting the files from mpam-fe.exe with WinRAR and copying the virus definition files and old engine 1.1.15800.1 to

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Microsoft Antimalware\Definition Updates\Update

Watched from the Definition Updates folder, what usually happened was that after 20 or 30 seconds two new folders were created with long strings of numbers and letters as the folder names. When finished updating, one of the new folders disappeared and the other became the new folder for the active virus definition files. The previous day's active folder with a long name would disappear as well.

However today when I copied the definition file updates to the Update folder the two new folders were created but both disappeared  without updating the previous day's virus definition files. No changes were made.

I was afraid this might happen:

On 4/24/2019 at 10:32 AM, Mathwiz said:

I kinda figured the new engine wouldn't work. But I guess it's smart enough to restore the backups when it blows up.

(Of course, it'd be just like M$ to read this thread and decide to change the format of the definitions files, along with yet another incompatible mpengine.dll which would be required to read them. They seem to be doing everything in their power to kill off XP.)

But I figured we'd at least have until July, when M$ Update goes away. I guess our only hope now is to try to satisfy the missing dependencies with something like Dibya's extended kernel....

3 hours ago, heinoganda said:

with the upgrade of mpengine.dll to version 1.1.16000.6

... Dumb question, but has it been verified via Dependency Walker that the new engine file still remains XP incompatible?

5 hours ago, dencorso said:

It, however, works normally on 7 SP1 (see attached image)

Engine version 1.1.16000.6 (file mpengine.dll) works OK under Vista SP2, too... ;)

On 6/4/2019 at 11:52 AM, VistaLover said:

... Dumb question, but has it been verified via Dependency Walker that the new engine file still remains XP incompatible?

Yes. I did it, of course. One single dependency missing in ADVAPI32.DLL: EventActivityIdControl

On 6/4/2019 at 11:35 AM, Mathwiz said:

...to try to satisfy the missing dependencies with something like Dibya's extended kernel.... 

Dream on...

Anyone can provide the latest working mpam-fe.exe and mpas-fe.exe? It should be probably 1.293.27xx (or maybe 1.293.28xx?), f.e. 1.293.2772.0

Thanks in advance.