WPA2 for Windows 9x!

FantasyAcquiesce

On 11.5.2016 at 7:09 AM, ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~ said:

I'm somewhat confident there must be some sort of Wireless Utility released back in 2001-2008 that contained WPA2 with 9x support. We just need to look for it...

I repeat: Use the TL-WR802N. It exists. I use it. Can use it even from DOS. You can buy it in shops, new, today.

It has WPA2, 802.11n, and 300Mbps-speed - something you'll otherwise never have on W9x (or on DOS).

Here: http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/TL-WR802N.html#specifications

You don't even need a driver, just a LAN-port, to which you connect that, and a free USB-port for powering it.

Edited by ragnargd

WPA Clients are card specific. You can't use Broadcom WPA/2 client on intel wireless card. If that was the case, this topic and others like it wouldn't exist. Now if one was to hack the client to detect any card, that would be the only solution.

As CamTron noted above, there were models of D-Link AirPlus that support it, and this YouTube video proves it: WPA2 on Windows 98SE ;)

As KippyKip noted above, Windows 98SE works with the Netgear WG111v2 USB but apprently bluescreens. I would think there is some type of configuration issue or it's just a lemon USB there, because it's unlikely Netgear sold a bad product consistently.

The Netgear WG111v2 USB 54 was one of the latest Windows 98SE compatible wireless network devices that was released after Windows 98 support was winding down. It is WPA2 compatible, so it would be a good place to start. No guarantees on Windows 98.

I bring this up because this model was widely distributed at retailers such as OfficeMax, Staples, WalMart, RadioShack, etc.

The latest driver is 4.0.0 and supports all operating systems from Windows 98 through Windows 7:

WG111v2 Version 4.0.0

WG111v2 Version 4.00 (supports Win 7)

Released: Jun 23, 2010.

Supports Windows 7 (32/64 bit) driver version:62.1310.402.2010
Supports Windows Vista (32/64 bit)
Win Vista x86/x64 driver version: 6.1308.1226.2007(WHQL certified, Works with Windows Vista)
Win 2000/XP/XP-x64 driver version: 5.1308.1226.2007 (WHQL certified)
Win 98SE/Me driver version: 5.1308.1226.2007

Utility version: 1.0.0.185

http://www.netgear.com/support/product/WG111v2.aspx?cid=gwmng#Software%20Version%204.0.0%20for%20Windows

Direct Download: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WG111V2/WG111v2%20Software%20Version%204.0.0.zip
         (you can access this file in the future by simply pasting the link in the WayBack Machine aka Internet Archive: http://archive.org)

Edited by sdfox7

On 05/12/2016 at 2:45 AM, ragnargd said:

I repeat: Use the TL-WR802N. It exists. I use it. Can use it even from DOS. You can buy it in shops, new, today.

It has WPA2, 802.11n, and 300Mbps-speed - something you'll otherwise never have on W9x (or on DOS).

Here: http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/TL-WR802N.html#specifications

You don't even need a driver, just a LAN-port, to which you connect that, and a free USB-port for powering it.

If I understand right, that device is basically a wireless ethernet bridge. In that case, there are bridges out there that support Wireless AC, which would give much better speeds than N, and would work on any device with an ethernet port.

On 14.5.2016 at 2:52 AM, CamTron said:

If I understand right, that device is basically a wireless ethernet bridge. In that case, there are bridges out there that support Wireless AC, which would give much better speeds than N, and would work on any device with an ethernet port.

True. But this device weighs about as much as an USB-Stick, and needs just an USB-port for power, so it NEARLY is as good as an USB-WLAN-Device (while most bridges are quite bulky). As close as you can get for Windows 9x. Or do you have any device of similar size? (Seriously: I'd be interested in that...)

On 5/16/2016 at 3:09 PM, jumper said:

Wayback has at least 7 unique versions of boingoinstaller.exe (and possibly many more).
There is also (the more recent?) BoingoWifinder.exe and BoingoWifinderXP.exe.

Can anyone try to test if there's one with WPA2 for Windows 9x? If you go to the archive pages and download there; no version available for Windows 9x with WPA2 is downloadable

I have NO CLUE about WPA2 but there ARE versions for 9x. Here's one from 2006 (actually internals are dated 2005 and INSIDE that is 2002). XP/2000/ME/98SE... Ver. 1.5 build 1602(?). You MAY be out of luck, since ME/98SE were dropped in v2.3. AFAIK, many users have found only WPA is available and do a mix of WPA(9x/ME)/WPA2(2K and up) under Dual-Boot conditions. Sorry. :(

http://web.archive.org/web/20060423011839/http://www.boingo.com/download_windows.html#

Indeed. Check this Member's Topic. No WPA2.

How well can you "reverse engineer" and "rewrite"? :w00t: Seriously, WPA2 may be a lost effort for anything less than Windows2000 since the Vendors/Authors dropped support just like MS did. Again, sorry for the bad news. :(

3 hours ago, submix8c said:

Indeed. Check this Member's Topic. No WPA2.

How well can you "reverse engineer" and "rewrite"? :w00t: Seriously, WPA2 may be a lost effort for anything less than Windows2000 since the Vendors/Authors dropped support just like MS did. Again, sorry for the bad news. :(

Its sad that the only known way of obtaining WPA2 on Windows 98SE or ME is Odyessy Client...and that can only be obtained illegally now due to discontinuation of the software...

We need to find more wireless utilities! Windows 2000 and earlier always had the mutual issue of no generic interface for managing wireless connections! (This is so sad xD) A universal wireless manager utility will solve this problem, but so far all of MSFN and Vogons seem to only know of 2 publicly available clients. Unless someone knows how to code Windows 9x well enough, we can't solve this common issue that's bad enough for many people to believe there is no WPA2 for Windows 9x.

Edited by ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~

2 hours ago, CamTron said:

What about KernelEx? Do any newer versions run with KernelEx or Kext?

Biongo Wireless for W2KSP4 and XP only is the oldest archived version available with WPA2, but KernelEx did not work...You cannot rely on KernelEx at all for drivers! Every single driver I've attempted to use KernelEx on has failed! (At least 5 drivers I've tested for various systems) Our only hope is to find another wireless utility, hope that someone makes a generic wireless utility, or hope KernelEx gets updated again...