Last versions of software for Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008

WinClient5270

21 hours ago, AndrewSM36 said:

EDIT1: appearently webroot decided it wanted me to use 9.0.31.84 just as i was running sfc /scannow.

final edit: 9.0.33.35 requires the extended kernel. so you will probably have to copy webroot from Newer OS installation to update it.

Hi AndrewSM36:

Does Webroot Secure Anywhere v9.0.31.84 require any modification to a "plain vanilla" Vista SP2 OS patched to end of support on 11-Apr-2017 (i.e., does it run on OS Build 6.0.6002.x)? Your 25-Mar-2022 post in Best Windows Vista Anti-Virus regarding v9.0.29.62 states "i installed the sha2 updates, but i havent installed the extended kernel", so I'm guessing you installed the Windows Server 2008 updates KB4493730 (April 2019 Service Stack Update) and KB4474419 (Sept 2019 SHA-2 Code Signing Support) at some point in the past and currently have OS Build 6.0.6003.x.

Edited by lmacri

On 10/4/2022 at 3:52 PM, lmacri said:

Hi AndrewSM36:

Does Webroot Secure Anywhere v9.0.31.84 require any modification to a "plain vanilla" Vista SP2 OS patched to end of support on 11-Apr-2017 (i.e., does it run on OS Build 6.0.6002.x)? Your 25-Mar-2022 post in Best Windows Vista Anti-Virus regarding v9.0.29.62 states "i installed the sha2 updates, but i havent installed the extended kernel", so I'm guessing you installed the Windows Server 2008 updates KB4493730 (April 2019 Service Stack Update) and KB4474419 (Sept 2019 SHA-2 Code Signing Support) at some point in the past and currently have OS Build 6.0.6003.x.

it does require the sha-2 codesigning updates UNLESS you boot windows using the "Disable Driver Signature Enforcement" option. otherwise you would get this:175841794_WindowsVistaHomePremium-2022-10-04-16-05-02.thumb.PNG.1e96ca0bd273e3aab47c6944b5669a92.PNG

(also can you tell how old this vm is) also no. i did not install any updates except KB4474419 and possibly the platform update at the time of that post

Edited by AndrewSM36

On 10/3/2022 at 12:30 AM, WinClient5270 said:

I did quite a bit of work on Antivirus/Security section. Unfortunately, the options for Vista have only dwindled over the course of 2021 and 2022 :( ...

Reviewing this section, I noticed that Emsisoft and McAfee are still listed, the former with a notation that definition updates ended in 2016. As VistaLover pointed out in a March 31, 2021 post, definition updates for the legacy versions of McAfee ended January 1 of last year. Of course he provided an official link for this bad news.

5 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

Reviewing this section, I noticed that Emsisoft and McAfee are still listed, the former with a notation that definition updates ended in 2016. As VistaLover pointed out in a March 31, 2021 post, definition updates for the legacy versions of McAfee ended January 1 of last year. Of course he provided an official link for this bad news.

Thank you for the information! Revising the AV section, working on the Web browser plug-ins & Instant Messaging sections now!

The Web Browser plugins & Instant Messaging sections have been redone. Unfortunately, lots of IM softwares no longer support Windows Vista :( but at least most of the last versions were able to be found and listed:

SUMMARY OF CHANGES TO THE LIST FOR OCTOBER 5, 2022:

• Removed ONG status from Adfender; added Adfender v2.55 as last version for Windows Vista.
  • Removed Adobe Flash Player & Adobe Shockwave Player as both have been discontinued and are no longer supported by Adobe.
  • Amended information regarding Java SE 8: support has been extended to December 2030 from December 2020 (security updates only), according to this roadmap by Oracle.
  • Renamed "McAfee 2015 product suite" entry to McAfee 14.0 R1 as last version for Windows Vista (according to this article).
  • Removed Dingtalk as it no longer works on Windows Vista and no older versions are available from what I can find, unfortunately.
  • Added information about ICQ: must use "Windows XP" installer, Windows 7 or later version doesn't work.
  • Removed ONG status from Linphone; added Linphone v4.1.1 as last version for Windows Vista.
  • Removed ONG status from Mumble; added Mumble 1.3.4 as last version for Windows Vista.
  • Removed ONG status from Quassel IRC; added Quassel IRC 0.12.4 as last version for Windows Vista.
  • Removed ONG status from qTox; added qTox 1.16.3 as last version for Windows Vista.
  • Fixed broken download link for Viber 6.8.2.878.
  • Added UNS status to Ripcord, since it's not officially supported on Vista, but still works.
Edited by WinClient5270

Work on Email Clients and PDF Viewers sections is now complete! Thankfully, most entries still have ongoing support for Vista, so not too much was lost this go around :yes:

SUMMARY OF CHANGES TO THE LIST FOR OCTOBER 6, 2022:

• Removed ONG status for Claws Mail; added Claws Mail 3.16.0 as last version for Windows Vista.
  • Added UNS status for Pegasus Mail, since the official website claims that only Windows 7 or later are supported, but it continues to work on Vista, fortunately.
  • Removed Open Live Writer from the list, as the latest version does not work for me on Vista, throwing an APPCRASH error upon attempting to launch. I tested the software on build 6002 as well to insure it wasn't broken with build 6003, and the error occurs there as well. The software appears to be abandoned anyway (no updates since 2017).
  • Removed ONG status from Foxit PDF Reader & Foxit PhantomPDF; added Foxit PDF Reader & PhantomPDF v9.2.0.9297 as last version for Windows Vista.
  • Removed ONG status from Nitro PDF Reader/PDF Reader Pro; added Nitro PDF Reader v10.x as the last version for Windows Vista.
  • Removed ONG status from PDF-XChange Editor; added PDF-XChange Editor v7.0.328.2 as the last version for Windows Vista.

On 10/5/2022 at 8:59 PM, WinClient5270 said:

• Removed Adobe Flash Player & Adobe Shockwave Player as both have been discontinued and are no longer supported by Adobe.

True, but if anyone feels that their vintage Vista system is incomplete without Flash Player, there’s a thread in the Windows XP forum:

https://msfn.org/board/topic/182654-adobe-flash-shockwave-and-oracle-java-on-xp-part-2/

The last official version without a time bomb was reportedly 32.0.0.371.

8 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

True, but if anyone feels that their vintage Vista system is incomplete without Flash Player, there’s a thread in the Windows XP forum:

https://msfn.org/board/topic/182654-adobe-flash-shockwave-and-oracle-java-on-xp-part-2/

The last official version without a time bomb was reportedly 32.0.0.371.

Thank you for the information! :) Added to the list:

On 3/1/2016 at 8:31 PM, WinClient5270 said:

Web Browser Plug-ins:

-

Adobe Flash Player 32.0.0.371 (FREECS) Last version without the January 2021 timebomb. Download here.

Word Processing & Office Suites + Content Consumption Software sections are now updated :)

SUMMARY OF CHANGES TO THE LIST FOR OCTOBER 8, 2022:

• Removed ONG status from Scribus; added Scribus 1.4.8 as the last version for Windows Vista.
  • Removed Todoist as the software no longer supports Vista and older versions no longer connect to the Todoist service.
  • Removed ONG status from AIMP; added AIMP 5.00.2344 as last version for Windows Vista.
  • Removed ONG status from Foobar2000; added Foobar2000 v1.5.11 as last version for Windows Vista.
  • Removed ONG status from Leawo Blu-ray Player; added Leawo Blu-ray Player v1.9.6.2 as last version for Windows Vista.
  • Removed ONG status from MusicBee; added MusicBee 3.0.6067 as last version for Windows Vista.
  • Added important information about SMPlayer: must use QT 5.6 version (still being updated; available for download from the main website).
    1 hour ago, mina7601 said:

Remove Winamp from the list, as version 5.9 requires Windows 7 as the minimum OS.

The last version of Winamp for Windows Vista has already been listed. However, I added a download link for convenience ;):

On 3/1/2016 at 8:31 PM, WinClient5270 said:

Content Consumption Software:

-

Winamp 5.8 (FREECS) Download here.

Edited by WinClient5270

Video & Photo Editing software section is finished now. Unfortunately, Vista has lost a lot of options in this section over the past couple of years :(

SUMMARY OF CHANGES TO THE LIST FOR OCTOBER 9, 2022:

• Added UNS status to Aniview since it's no longer officially supported on Vista, but works with a workaround (tutorial coming soon!)
  • Added UNS status to AnnyStudio JPEG Lossess Rotator since v9.2 is the last official version for Vista according to the website, but the latest version (v10.1 as of Oct. 2022) works just fine for me in Vista.
  • Added UNS status to AnnyStudio Just Color Picker, as Vista is not listed as a supported platform on the website, but the latest version still works fine (v5.6 as of Oct. 2022).
  • Removed ONG status from ArtWeaver Free & Pro 6.x.
  • Added ArtWeaver Free & Pro 6.0.13 as last version for Windows Vista.
  • Removed ONG status from ContaCam; added ContaCam 9.0.9 as last version for Windows Vista.
  • Removed ONG status from Flashblack Express & Flashback Pro; added Flashback Express/Pro v5.35.0 as last version for Windows Vista.
  • Removed ONG status from KC Softwares PhotoToFilm & KC Softwares VideoInspector.
  • Added KC Softwares PhotoToFilm v3.9.1.99 & KC Softwares VideoInspector v2.15.2.146 as last versions for Windows Vista.
  • Removed ONG status from Lightworks; added Lightworks 14.5.0.0 as last version for Windows Vista.
  • Removed ONG status from MyPaint; added MyPaint 1.2.1 as last version for Windows Vista.
  • Removed ONG status from Pinta; added Pinta 1.7.1 as last version for Windows Vista.
  • Removed ONG status from XnConvert, XnRetro, XnSketch, & XnView MP.
  • Added XnConvert v1.82, XnRetro 1.20, XnSketch 1.18, & XnView MP 0.94.3 as last versions for Windows Vista.
  • Fixed broken download links for Image Composite Editor 2.0.3 (32 bit & 64 bit).
Edited by WinClient5270

On 10/9/2022 at 3:27 AM, WinClient5270 said:

The last version of Winamp for Windows Vista has already been listed. However, I added a download link for convenience ;)

Hey friend, I was aware of that. I was meaning to say that version 5.9 is where Vista support is dropped, I didn't mean to request removing Winamp from the list. Sorry for that.

Anyways, here are some software I tested that works on Vista:

Adobe Digital Editions, the latest version is 4.5.11, works on Vista, even if system requirements say Windows 7 as the minimum OS.

Process Hacker, the latest version is 2.39, works on Vista. There are nightly builds of Process Hacker as well, but they don't work on Vista. They need Windows 7 at least to work.

Edited by mina7601

1 hour ago, mina7601 said:

Process Hacker, the latest version is 2.39, works on Vista. There are nightly builds of Process Hacker as well, but they don't work on Vista. They need Windows 7 at least to work.

It does not fully work; the optional kernel mode component is missing function ObGetObjectType. I hope to add it soon.

The other important function in the newer releases is technically kernel mode as well: NtQuerySystemInformationEx. I have some compliant functions like KeQueryLogicalProcessorRelationship but I may need to add additional classes or refine existing ones for that to work as it should.