Root Certificates and Revoked Certificates for Windows XP

heinoganda

On 2/22/2023 at 12:45 PM, satmonk said:

I'm sorry I had to say that I mean the batch from page 13

I have never used that code to clean up the CryptnetUrlCache in the form of a batch file. I am not a fan of automatical solutions to delete files. I usually do manual cleaning in terms of the CryptnetUrlCache when necessary, i.e., if there are correspondent errors in the event log. :)

Edited by AstroSkipper

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Iron_Wind0ws said:

Hey howdy, Do you know if by doing these steps correctly, it will open Steam 2019 for me, which is the latest version compatible with XP?
Because I'm trying to log in, but the interface doesn't open.

Steam is long dead, my friend. I'm afraid it doesn't work anymore as it used to before in 2019-2020. Let me refer you to this topic.

Edited by mina7601

• 2 months later...

One thing that still puzzles me is about the *.sst files themselves. What is the function of each file, and does updroots.exe do anything different based on the filename it is called for?

I mean, the use of something called "delroots.sst" or "disallowedcert.sst" seems self explanatory, but what about the other 3? I see from the contents that roots.sst has Microsoft-related stuff that could be needed to check the cert lists themselves, so it makes some sense to have it in a separate file for the convenience of those folks who want to manage their own lists.

But for authroots.sst vs updroots.sst, the difference is less clear. There must be some reason Microsoft used 2 files instead of combining them all into 1 file, so how are these different?

14 minutes ago, egrabrych said:

The authroots.sst, updroots.sst and delroots.sst files have changed, the roots.sst file remains unchanged.

CAupdater.jpg

Thanks for updating us!

Edited by mina7601

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/19/2023 at 1:48 AM, w2k4eva said:

One thing that still puzzles me is about the *.sst files themselves. What is the function of each file, and does updroots.exe do anything different based on the filename it is called for?

I mean, the use of something called "delroots.sst" or "disallowedcert.sst" seems self explanatory, but what about the other 3? I see from the contents that roots.sst has Microsoft-related stuff that could be needed to check the cert lists themselves, so it makes some sense to have it in a separate file for the convenience of those folks who want to manage their own lists.

But for authroots.sst vs updroots.sst, the difference is less clear. There must be some reason Microsoft used 2 files instead of combining them all into 1 file, so how are these different?

UpdRoots process the files based on the parameters not filename, e.g. if you run updroots.exe delroots.sst it will add the certificates not delete them

Usage: UpdRoots [options] <SrcStoreFilename>
Options are:
-h -	This message
-d -	Delete (default is to add)
-l -	Local Machine (default is Third Party)
-u -	Add to disallowed root store

based on some checking, 
updroots.sst contain certificates that can be downloaded separately from WU (manually or using CertUtil –generateSSTFromWU), e.g. 
http://ctldl.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/trustedr/en/8F43288AD272F3103B6FB1428485EA3014C0BCFE.crt

authroots.sst certificates are not downloadable separately from WU

• 3 weeks later...

The certificate files are downloaded directly from Microsoft, so they would have to add any additional ones.
Individuals can always add extra certificates to their own stores manually of course, including that one.
:)

• 2 months later...