Windows 10 - Deeper Impressions

xper

The motivation behind minimalist and flat design was a desire to get the ugly distractions out of the interface […]

No. :no:

The motivation was and is seamless integration of advertising into everything, confusing users and luring them into clicking at random, thus rising the chances of getting more revenue by means of click count, referred purchases or whatever.

Why does Windows 10 need constant updates? Because the advertising elements embedded in the code have to be replaced every now and then. Simple!

It's all about the money, it has always been about the money. The user doesn't count for sh.. in this equation.

The motivation behind minimalist and flat design was a desire to get the ugly distractions out of the interface […]

No. :no:

The motivation was and is seamless integration of advertising into everything, confusing users and luring them into clicking at random, thus rising the chances of getting more revenue by means of click count, referred purchases or whatever.

OT, but FYI:

http://au.idigitaltimes.com/study-children-cannot-distinguish-between-google-search-result-and-ads-111014

jaclaz

"... This behavior is analogous to the behavior of laboratory rats in operant-conditioning experiments: if a rat gets a food pellet at random intervals after performing a specific action, the rat will keep doing that action in the hope of getting fed again. Similarly, users have discovered that clicking elements that don’t have strong signifiers sometimes works. Like the lab rats, users will stick to random clicking as long as they get rewarded from time to time ..."

"...  I don’t [know what’s a link]. I just start clicking and praying that it works ..."

62234083.jpg

Thing is, people like us can sense the difference now.  The evidence that the youngest folks sense it less says that we're relying on contextual information that's growing ever more stale, and that "the new normal" can indeed be redefined.

Seems to me it's a form of assault.

-Noel

There is of course still the possibility of technology being applied for (gasp) good...  My system doesn't allow the following of the sponsored links (owing to my hosts file blocking ad management sites):

Sponsored1.png

Sponsored2.png

-Noel

Too bad we're all somewhat burned out by Windows 8 already. Me included.

W10 needs ten times the criticism W8 had. At the end of the day, W8 was mostly about the UI, but W10 is outright corporate fascism. No exaggeration, it is. ("your opinions, settings and decisions are irrelevant and you will be forced. All your conscious efforts to avoid will be circumvented"). 

I am just horrified.

Makes you wonder whether they're following a long-term plan of "Wear 'em down.  Wear 'em all down.".

Actually, I no longer wonder about this.  It's quite clear that they are.

Windows As A Service can only happen if expectations - and indeed the very culture - are changed.  To do that requires years of focused effort.  Maybe even decades.

What's actually impressive in all this is that a corporation could actually embark on a multi-year plan and stick to it in this day and age.  I guess starting out so rich you can't possibly fail any time soon is the entry requirement.

They consider you and I and a few others around here being horrified now a necessary evil to facilitate the Great Profits to come.

Sooner than you think, a day will arrive when there will be no one left who remembers being able to run software on your own computer without constant ongoing payments to a software company, which doesn't provide anything at all more than was provided the previous month.

Then:  A better mousetrap every few years, for which we beat a path and paid handsomely.

Now:  Nothing new and in fact many things worse, for which we will be forced to pay handsomely.

The end result is that the company doesn't have to work - at all - and they still get rich.

And no way to stop it from happening.

-Noel

Not mine.  Not any more.

-Noel

same here

I stopped with last integrated update at 9th month 2015

later all went down the drain as I see

-

regarding the web, I can only laff at people now, at first when I was bitching how people can be so dumb

to follow metro-crap "design", all I got was bashes

now it will backfire at them

Makes you wonder whether they're following a long-term plan of "Wear 'em down.  Wear 'em all down.".

Actually, I no longer wonder about this.  It's quite clear that they are.

Windows As A Service can only happen if expectations - and indeed the very culture - are changed.  To do that requires years of focused effort.  Maybe even decades.

What's actually impressive in all this is that a corporation could actually embark on a multi-year plan and stick to it in this day and age.  I guess starting out so rich you can't possibly fail any time soon is the entry requirement.

They consider you and I and a few others around here being horrified now a necessary evil to facilitate the Great Profits to come.

Sooner than you think, a day will arrive when there will be no one left who remembers being able to run software on your own computer without constant ongoing payments to a software company, which doesn't provide anything at all more than was provided the previous month.

Then:  A better mousetrap every few years, for which we beat a path and paid handsomely.

Now:  Nothing new and in fact many things worse, for which we will be forced to pay handsomely.

The end result is that the company doesn't have to work - at all - and they still get rich.

And no way to stop it from happening.

-Noel

Our PCs are slowly being turned into dumb terminals right before our eyes. The saddest part is that so many people are actually cheering this on.

--JorgeA

Desperate measures in light of desperate W10 marketshare numbers:

http://www.inquisitr.com/2618389/is-microsoft-shoving-windows-10-down-your-throat-too-gwx-control-panel-can-help/

Microsoft is reportedly preparing for a more aggressive upgrade strategy for its latest PC operating system, Windows 10.

The strategy will be aimed at PCs that are still running on previous versions such as Windows 7 and Windows 8.1.

Josh Mayfield, a software engineer and developer for GWX Control Panel, said that he has been getting several reports from users that the upgrade option keeps popping up on their Win 7 and 8.1 PCs several times a day.

However, despite Microsoft’s efforts to push Win10 on to its users, most people prefer their older version PCs and devices.
Windows 10 was offered as a limited time free upgrade back in July for Windows 7, but most users are still not willing to make the plunge.

According to analytics company NET Applications, only 3.3 percent of all Windows 7 users have decided to upgrade to Windows 10. From the previous market share of 61 percent in July, the percentage of Windows 7 users just dipped to 57.7 percent a month later.

While there is a steady, albeit low decline of Windows 7 users, Microsoft is not satisfied with how things are going with their upgrade campaign. In November, 56.1 percent of Windows devices still run on Windows 7.
Windows 10 PCs and devices, on the other hand, only account for 9 percent.

If Microsoft can "hard-code" its telemetry server URLs to hinder our attempts to block connections to them -- could they also hard-code URLs that they don't like to prevent users from connecting to them? For instance, the second one above.

Even an "accidental" addition of that website to Windows Defender would prevent millions of trusting users from seeing it, but I'm wondering about a deeper sort of blocking that bypasses things such as AV, firewalls, the hosts file and so on.

--JorgeA