Windows 10 - Deeper Impressions

xper

Somehow I doubt that the Chinese government, of all things, would be concerned about protecting the privacy of the people it rules.

No :no:, you got it wrong.

It's not about protecting the privacy of the people, it is about protecting the data, the good Chinese Government guys are simply against the idea that the same data they already have falls in the hands of MS.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the way MSFT cozied up to Beijing was by pledging to forward to the government everything that it learns about individual Chinese users of Windows 10.

Oww, come on, this is absurd :w00t:, IF this was the case, how come the Abomination has been allowed by Washington and by NSA?

No, wait ... ;)

jaclaz

^^ While the above is a welcome development, it seems to me that the danger is highly exaggerated. Modern AV suites have evolved to identify and stop these sorts of attacks by their behavior, instead of relying merely on long lists of malware definitions. There is also independent "anti-exploit" software like EMET, HitmanPro.Alert, and MBAE that will run on top of your AV.

Not really a welcome development, no.

It seeks to propagate the myth that the "standard way" of blocking malware is to allow the user to do everything then at the last minute try to thwart an attack by asking Big Mother for permission.

Better to locally blacklist some 30,000ish malware-hosting sites - which I do by compiling lists from various sources - and never ever let your system even get near those malware sites.  Then also disallow the automatic running of software - which Microsoft configures into IE as enabled by default.

No, that Microsoft wants you to send EVERYTHING you request online to them first for approval is exactly wrong.  Microsoft has no business speaking on the subject of security.  They can only see shit, because their heads are inserted firmly up their own asses.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

^^ While the above is a welcome development, it seems to me that the danger is highly exaggerated. Modern AV suites have evolved to identify and stop these sorts of attacks by their behavior, instead of relying merely on long lists of malware definitions. There is also independent "anti-exploit" software like EMET, HitmanPro.Alert, and MBAE that will run on top of your AV.

Not really a welcome development, no.

It seeks to propagate the myth that the "standard way" of blocking malware is to allow the user to do everything then at the last minute try to thwart an attack by asking Big Mother for permission.

Better to locally blacklist some 30,000ish malware-hosting sites - which I do by compiling lists from various sources - and never ever let your system even get near those malware sites.  Then also disallow the automatic running of software - which Microsoft configures into IE as enabled by default.

No, that Microsoft wants you to send EVERYTHING you request online to them first for approval is exactly wrong.  Microsoft has no business speaking on the subject of security.  They can only see s***, because their heads are inserted firmly up their own asses.

-Noel

So, among the privacy settings you also turn off the SmartScreen Filter?

--JorgeA

Somehow I doubt that the Chinese government, of all things, would be concerned about protecting the privacy of the people it rules.

No :no:, you got it wrong.

It's not about protecting the privacy of the people, it is about protecting the data, the good Chinese Government guys are simply against the idea that the same data they already have falls in the hands of MS.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the way MSFT cozied up to Beijing was by pledging to forward to the government everything that it learns about individual Chinese users of Windows 10.

Oww, come on, this is absurd :w00t:, IF this was the case, how come the Abomination has been allowed by Washington and by NSA?

No, wait ... ;)

jaclaz

Good points!!!  :lol:

--JorgeA

" ... They got greedy, they used dark patterns, and everyone got annoyed with them and migrated to a friendlier, more ethical competitor ..."

^ A fitting epitaph for Windows.

Yup. :}

--JorgeA

Woody Lenohard strikes again:

Enough already: Microsoft pushes Windows nagware patch KB 3035583 for sixth time

The patch is listed as recommended, but not a security patch, for Windows 7 and 8.1 systems. Depending on your Windows Update settings (and sometimes, I think, the phase of the moon), the patch will probably appear among your "Important" patches, and probably won't have its box checked. If that's what you see on your PC, KB 3035583 won't install unless you check the box and run Windows Update.

As we've seen in the past, though, sometimes those unchecked patches suddenly get checked and Windows Update proceeds with the dirty deed. All the more reason to set Windows Update to "Notify but don't download."

I'm still looking for a single example of a KB patch, other than a security patch, released in 2015 for Windows 7 or 8.1 that does something worthwhile for Win7 and 8.1 customers. (Time zone changes in Eastern Europe don't count.) Can you recall one?

--JorgeA

So, among the privacy settings you also turn off the SmartScreen Filter?

Yes, absolutely.

My security strategy is already better than what SmartScreen could hope to provide.  No malware has gotten even close to my systems for decades.

-Noel

Oh no! I have no choice, but to allow MS to take my info 

noChoice.png

fyi this is actually an image that I came accost on my external drive not 100% sure what os I am guessing 8 or 8.1 preview release 

Edit: bit off topic, but I thought it was an interesting pic showing where MS is (was beginning) to head

Edited by helpdesk98

It looks like the Windows team at Microsoft could learn something from the Avast folks. One of my computers received an update from Avast that requires a reboot; here are the rebooting options it offered (see under "Avast needs to restart your computer"):

post-287775-0-31293300-1450797555_thumb.

;)

--JorgeA