Windows 10 - First Impressions

dencorso

I think the one before the xbox is supposed to be a PC. It has a keyboard and a mouse and the screen is larger than the notebook but smaller than the TV. The PC itself is not shown though.

Edited by Formfiller

This goes to @MagicAndre's question a few posts back about being able to change the desktop icons.

Windows 10 build 10074 ditches classic Appearance and themes support

Themes are definitely not working for me yet (if they ever will). I keep trying to install a Vista theme using UxStyle, but it doesn't make any perceptible difference.

--JorgeA

I think the one before the xbox is supposed to be a PC. It has a keyboard and a mouse and the screen is larger than the notebook but smaller than the TV. The PC itself is not shown though.

Yes, I understand that the AIO is supposed to represent the PC, however there is a big difference between your standard desktop PC and an AIO... The ability to change/add hardware such as video, sound, capture, etc. I recall the Windows 10 presentation thing they did earlier (or maybe last year) and they went on about how Windows 10 is for gamers, yet they don't put a gamer type PC in their advertisements.

That may be the AIO (all-in-one, I had to look it up :) ). Missing is the iconic PC tower case that we all (or at least I) think of when we say, "PC."

BTW, I've noticed some deep, deep discounts on laptops and PCs lately, both online and at bricks-and-mortar stores, on the order of hundreds of dollars. It's actually making me nervous, as that's the sort of thing that happens when a product is on the way out. If the idea behind Window s8 was to kill off the real PC, I fear that it may have worked. :ph34r:

--JorgeA

EDIT: @Trip beat me to the explanation. ;)

Edited by JorgeA

The numbers are in, Windows 7 still the most used operating system worldwide

The latest numbers from NetMarketShare for the month of April are in, and it gives us a glimpse of how different operating systems are performing. Similar to last month, Windows 7 continues to be the dominating force when it comes to operating systems with a market share of 58.49 percent, a slight increase compared to last month's 58.04 percent. It's nothing surprising to be honest, as Windows 7 has continued to be the most popular operating system from more than 12 months.

As for the decade old Windows XP, it continues to decline, but remains the second most popular operating system. It has a market share of 15.93 percent, compared to 16.94 percent last month. Windows 8.1 still fails to gain a lot of traction with a small increase of 0.61 percent to 11.61 percent. Windows 8 has a market share of 3.5 percent which is a little lower than Apple's Mac OS X -- it resides at 4.23 percent, an increase from 3.96 percent last month.

--JorgeA

This goes to @MagicAndre's question a few posts back about being able to change the desktop icons.

Themes are definitely not working for me yet (if they ever will). I keep trying to install a Vista theme using UxStyle, but it doesn't make any perceptible difference.

--JorgeA

This is just getting worse and worse by every build. First they took away Glass and Classic and now the ability to change the color of the already colorless windows. The comment section of that article is even more interesting though...

I told ya so 1f609.png

The old Control Panel is going away for good (finally!) It was a mess anyway.

And the whole Windows userland is becoming WinRT-based since Win32 is dead outside of the kernel, drivers, and specific use cases.

Edited by rn10950

Heh, the very definition of "Metrotard".  Someone who can operate a web browser and needs Windows for not much else.

That term is really starting to grow on me.

The scene comes to mind in Idiocracy where Dr. Lexus (Justin Long) is explaining how his wife was considered "tarded" but is now an airline pilot.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

... those few legacy desktop/Win32 applications some of us still need ...

... Win32 is dead outside of the kernel, drivers, and specific use cases ...

Danger+-+Stupidity.jpg

Themes are definitely not working for me yet (if they ever will).

Maybe not all you'd like, but there is still the possibility of just replacing the theme atlas with Big Muscle's Aero Glass toolset...

AGon10074.png

-Noel

Yeah, I guess I'll have to read up on "theme atlases" if and when I make the move to Windows 8/10.

Have to admit, though, that your Desktop looks pretty nice. :thumbup  Hey, is that the Weather app in the middle of the screen -- with its own translucent border? I thought that Metro apps were, uhh, immune to customization of that sort.

--JorgeA

Oh boy, oh boy:

http://www.vrworld.com/2015/05/05/goodbye-patch-tuesday-windows-10/

This thing will be a turd sandwich of epic proportions. The somewhat better GUI compared to W8 is bought with lots of BS in other places. I would rather have W8 with classic shell than this.

You see, now?

Since October 2012 everyone was convinced that there was NO WAY on Earth that anyone in his/her sane mind could actually like Windows 8 (not even with Calssic Shell/Start is back) and the good MS guys managed to prove everyone wrong:

it is entirely possible to make something much worse than 8!

jaclaz

You see, now?

Since October 2012 everyone was convinced that there was NO WAY on Earth that anyone in his/her sane mind could actually like Windows 8 (not even with Calssic Shell/Start is back) and the good MS guys managed to prove everyone wrong:

it is entirely possible to make something much worse than 8!

jaclaz

Yeah, they are using their talents to the fullest. That's for sure.

With Windows 10, the familiar cadence of patches being delivered every second Tuesday will be replaced by background updates being pushed to the user when their PC is idle. Users will have the option to be in one of a few “distribution rings” that involve getting refined, stable updates more infrequently or being pushed the latest updates when they are fresh in beta form.

The metrotards will love this.

Well, it's all about running Windows, and NO LONGER about facilitating users' work.

Jorge, that's Big Muscle's software at work.  He's got a prototype tool that even makes the title bars of Win 10 Metrotard Apps kind of fit the theme.  And when done, doesn't it look a helluva lot more integrated?  Unfortuantely it doesn't make the vertical size match, though, and that's exacerbated a bit because I've reduced the size of the title bars on normal windows.

-Noel