Windows 10 - First Impressions

dencorso

The s*** is even more in the s***ter than you all thought:

http://www.infoworld.com/article/2918514/operating-systems/how-windows-10-updating-will-work-devils-in-details.html

There will be no ability to shut off automatic updates (short of permanently disconnecting from the Internet), no provision for blocking specific updates, and no way to roll back updates -- either one at a time, or en masse -- should they cause problems

Edited by Formfiller

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2878026/microsoft-to-business-dont-worry-about-windows-10-consumers-will-test-it.html

What's interesting about Alkove's post is the frankness used to pitch the benefits of Windows 10 radical update process to businesses. In a clear attempt to assure enterprises that a faster cadence would be reliable, Alkove said that the delayed deployment of the Current branch would be safe because consumers had served as guinea pigs.

[..]

Although that omission may not be significant, Windows customers have been griping for months about the quality of Microsoft's updates, many of which have been problem-filled and some of which have had to be pulled because of those problems. Some analysts and users have connected the dots, arguing that after Microsoft's massive layoffs in mid-2014, when the company's software testing groups were especially hard hit, the quality of its updates declined.

"Microsoft fired all those testers last year," pointed out Wes Miller, an analyst with Directions on Microsoft, in a Friday interview. "Now consumers are the testers."

Edited by Formfiller

Lots of action on Channel9 currently.

Looks like Windows 10 Enterprise will be the only version to seriously consider, then.  I suspected as much.

A domain-joined Windows 10 enterprise! I think Non-DCed versions will be problematic as well.

Jorge, that's Big Muscle's software at work.  He's got a prototype tool that even makes the title bars of Win 10 Metrotard Apps kind of fit the theme.  And when done, doesn't it look a helluva lot more integrated?  Unfortuantely it doesn't make the vertical size match, though, and that's exacerbated a bit because I've reduced the size of the title bars on normal windows.

The size mismatch is a tiny price to pay for the immensely improved and helluva lot more integrated look. Title bars in Windows 10 are looking more and more like the dingy, gritty gray window borders you see in most unmodified Linux distros.

--JorgeA

But I have really to give it Microsoft: I thought they would not be able to top Windows 8 in terms of suck.

I was wrong. So incredibly wrong. They have proven once and for all that it's always possible to make it far worse! Thank you MS!

The s*** is even more in the s***ter than you all thought:

http://www.infoworld.com/article/2918514/operating-systems/how-windows-10-updating-will-work-devils-in-details.html

There will be no ability to shut off automatic updates (short of permanently disconnecting from the Internet), no provision for blocking specific updates, and no way to roll back updates -- either one at a time, or en masse -- should they cause problems

The following paragraph in Woody's writeup reflects my main concern about the new update process:

[...] I have this nightmare scenario where 99.5% of all Windows users are working fine after a particular patch, but the 0.5% that get clobbered have to wait a week before Windows is working again -- with no way to roll back the damage, reinstall an older version, or even prevent Windows from updating and clobbering itself again. And when you figure that 0.5% of a billion Windows 10 users is… well, you do the math. I expect half of them will write to me, complaining.

Annoy half a percent of your user base here, half a percent there, and before you know it your user base will be at... half a percent of what it was when you started with this asinine policy.

--JorgeA

But I have really to give it Microsoft: I thought they would not be able to top Windows 8 in terms of suck.

I was wrong. So incredibly wrong. They have proven once and for all that it's always possible to make it far worse! Thank you MS!

Heh, now you have an example to give if a metrotard asks you sarcastically if you've ever admitted to being wrong about anything...  ;)

--JorgeA

Apple iPad, Tablets' Best Growth Years Are History

Worldwide tablet shipments registered a second consecutive year-over-year decline in Q1, according to market research firm IDC, and Apple's share of the market again slipped.

[...]

JPMorgan estimates that Apple will ship 56.2 million iPads in fiscal 2015 ending on or near Sept. 30, compared with nearly 68 million in fiscal 2014 and 71 million in fiscal 2013.

[...]

In Q1, shipments of tablets and "two-in-one" devices that combine tablet and laptop features slipped 6% to 47.1 million, says IDC.

Those "two-in-one devices" presumably include Surface -- one of the increasingly dubious reasons for which Microsoft is busily destroying the Windows experience.

--JorgeA

OH! First time I was proven wrong on Channel9!

http://channel9.msdn.com/Forums/Coffeehouse/Stop-the-madness/3e06ff45ac884ca4b049a48f012d7308

It seems to be possible to tame Windows Updater in 10 somewhat after all!  Here I am actually glad I was proven wrong. Who knows, maybe you need to use that thing sometime in the future and it's good to know that you can fix it.

It's absolutely retarded how hidden it is though.

Edited by Formfiller

I've been running Win 10 like that.

If tradition holds, GPEdit will not be available to Windows Home users.  Thus will begin a proliferation of Internet Articles describing the registry tweaks that implement that setting.  And those that send telemetry info to Microsoft.

CEIPInfo.png

Windows Updates appear to be blocked effectively from auto-installing by Group Policy settings.  I think that will remain a necessity if Microsoft harbors any prayer of getting this software into enterprises.  We're not allowed to pick and choose, but I suspect a way to do that will ultimately be revealed.  And we can today uninstall individual updates.  That last method is incomplete, because the updates do show up again.  Bottom line is this:  I doubt Microsoft will permanently release updates that will kill Windows, so...  One need only wait a month or so (assuming one doesn't have a present bug one is waiting for Microsoft to solve), research to the world's experiences with recent updates, THEN choose to install.

However...

When will Microsoft change the rules down the line?  Will they, with an update, stop the ability to opt out?  Will they make things that we can work around now so that they can't be worked around?  Will they destroy the desktop one day, and not even say "sorry"?

You really have to ask yourself just one question...  "Do I feel lucky?" 

I honestly don't know whether (or for how long) a continued partnership with Microsoft can be beneficial; whether "keeping current" will be a Good Thing; whether installing all updates will consistently yield a viable working environment.  At this point we can just try to make the best of what is in front of us now, in order to know our options, and to know how to be prepared.

I've been immersed in a UAC-disabled Windows 10 VM for a day and a half now.  It works almost exactly like a UAC-disabled Windows 8.1 system.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

Man is Windows 10 ugly. I just played around W10 in the VM again, full screen.

It's so terrible. The settings "app" looks depressing. White, gray, huge letters. Windows 10 as a whole looks white, gray and depressing (the explorer, blergh). There's no color in this system, except for the metro tiles, but they look sterile, too. The default mountain-snow background picture isn't helping.

Have you tried the edge browser? Open up it's settings page.. There you can see how darn ugly metro is. Unending white colorless scrollable list full of text.

It's incredible that they want to win hearts and minds with this thing. iOS and Android look like pure life compared to it. Windows 7 too.

Windows 10 looks like a hospital.

w101.png

w102.png

w103.png

w104.png

w105.png

Edited by Formfiller

I honestly don't know whether (or for how long) a continued partnership with Microsoft can be beneficial; whether "keeping current" will be a Good Thing; whether installing all updates will consistently yield a viable working environment.  At this point we can just try to make the best of what is in front of us now, in order to know our options, and to know how to be prepared.

Keeping current became a hassle already when W8 appeared.

Comparison:

"Comparison"?? Are you kidding???  ;)

There IS no comparison between Windows 7 (or even 8) and Windows 10!!!

There is so much empty real estate on those Win10 apps, a "developer" could move right in and put a mall there!!!

Which (come to think of it) may be exactly what they're planning to do...

--JorgeA