StartIsBack++ 2.9

Tihiy

I have a suggestion also.  When using Windows 7 unified search from the start menu, my habit was to type in the search keywords and hit return.  Windows 7 would return an Explorer window with all the search results, orderable by field.  Very useful feature... I became reliant upon it.  This behavior is equivalent to getting the "See more results" output by default, when hitting return after a search.

Startisback++ search behaves a little differently.  When I type in keywords, followed by return, into "search programs and files" on the Start Menu, it returns only the top item from the search results.  It would be great to get the "See More Results..." window instead (without me having to click it manually after typing in keywords).  Then Startisback++ would perfectly replicate the Windows 7 Search experience.

Perhaps there is a Startisback++ setting to enable this behavior, but I have not found it.  Thanks for all your work on this excellent software.

Also is there any way to disable the sliding in from the left thing that your profile picture does?

create DWORD key "FadeUserFrame" = 1 in HKCU\Software\StartIsBack

Doesn't seem to do anything for me

I have a suggestion also.  When using Windows 7 unified search from the start menu, my habit was to type in the search keywords and hit return.  Windows 7 would return an Explorer window with all the search results, orderable by field.  Very useful feature... I became reliant upon it.  This behavior is equivalent to getting the "See more results" output by default, when hitting return after a search.

Startisback++ search behaves a little differently.  When I type in keywords, followed by return, into "search programs and files" on the Start Menu, it returns only the top item from the search results.  It would be great to get the "See More Results..." window instead (without me having to click it manually after typing in keywords).  Then Startisback++ would perfectly replicate the Windows 7 Search experience.

Perhaps there is a Startisback++ setting to enable this behavior, but I have not found it.  Thanks for all your work on this excellent software.

Perhaps top result should be launched only launched when it's an app.

You have to re-login or reapply StartIsBack configuration.

fade.reg

Edited by Tihiy

You have to re-login or reapply StartIsBack configuration.

Yeah, I did and it's still the same. Oh well I don't really care.

Anyway I installed the new Windows 10 update and I had to reinstall StartIsBack. Now the start menu items don't have jump lists.

My main Windows machine received the major update today and after startisback wasn't working properly.  So I had to reinstall the program.  It works again, but it asked me to activate my license again even though I made sure not to click the option to delete configuration and license. 

I have the bulk 5 startisback license and total of 3 computers with startisback installed.  I hope that future major Windows 10 updates won't invalidate startisback licenses and that the reactivation won't count against 5 computer ceiling.  I know that we can contact you if we get license issues, but it might become an repeating issue when MS eventually releases its next major update. 

Edit: I think the issue is that the "update" is for all purposed a new Windows install and that what may be tripping up the license.  When the Windows 10 "update" is installed, I assume Startisback checks the computer configuration and finds that it is on a supposedly different Windows install.

I think that is the issue because I noticed that my machine now has a newly created Windows.old folder.  Also the update process was almost exactly like when you clean install Windows 10 or upgrade from a previous Windows version(7, 8.1).  When you the install the "update" yourself, you will know what I mean. 

Edited by Nealise

StartisBack 1.1.6 registered running on Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Just upgraded to the November Windows 10 release, had to re install StartIsBack and have noticed JumpLists for WinSCP & Putty have stopped working.

This is the jumplists that show for the applications pinned to my start menu. Was all working fine on Friday before the Windows 10 upgrade.

Any idea why ?

Thanks

Good stuff but I'm curious as to why the update broke the old version of StartIsBack. Why are Microsoft making such huge changes (huge and yet they don't meaningfully affect the actual user experience) to the OS that it keeps breaking software that worked just fine previously?

Edited by yogalD

I'm having a real strange issue with 1.1.7 and WinSCP Jumplists.

If I open WInSCP and go to a configured site, it opens and WinSCP shows it's icons correctly.
If I pin WinSCP to my taskbar, then right click and open the same site from the jumplist, it works correctly.

However if I open the same site from startisback via the jump list, then winSCP opens but no file or folder icons are shown !
If tested this with multiple sites, I've backed up my winSCP config, uninstalled and reinstalled but I get the same issue.

Any one any ideas ?

Thanks

There has been some reports on this issue. Do you use some skin or high contrast theme?

I only use the modded theme that allows coloured titlebars, nothing else

This is the theme

http://www.windowscentral.com/replace-those-white-title-bars-windows-10-colors-theme

I hope this is not the cause, because white titlebars are horrendous, and not getting TH2 means this is the only way to have them coloured

SiB 1.1.6 does not have this problem, even with the modded theme, it has only been introduced with 1.1.7

Edited by Detection