I'm Depressed About Windows

NoelC

M$ support was always terrible, they are like a broken tape, please mark it as solved bla bla, but not solving as you know.

fortunately there are people like you who help.

my 2 cents...

- I don't like the logon screen, there is additional time lost with the preview. I am sure this can be improved.

- I don't like the PC settings, there are too few options compared to the control panel.

- there are way too many writes to the disk in Windows 10, 10 GB in only 3 hours in my case, not doing anything and opening the same known programs I was using also on the Windows 7, where I have 3 GB / 24 hrs as an average. Defender/AV disabled and same conditions for both operating systems.

- many optimizations not functional, but this was already advised by M$.

- I like the start menu and customizations, they look very good.

I didn't want to install all my programs because I'm waiting for a more stable version.

I'll come back in a while and see how you guys are doing. :)

good luck!

Well, today I've made a couple of strides that serve to reassure me - at least a little bit - that the Windows world is not ending just yet.

Big Muscle made available a beta of his Aero Glass tool, and I was able to quickly make a theme atlas that turns the Win 10 desktop into something that's halfway usable, with borders around the windows.  I could live with the result.  I could not live with the desktop as they had it.  But wait and see - they're notorious for making things worse as the time grows closer to release.

With Classic Shell and pretty much all the same tweaks I have done for Win 8.1, Win 10 becomes usable.

For the first time I've not given up immediately in frustration on running with UAC enabled.  I promised I'd force myself all through the time while testing the Win 10 previews, and so far I've settled it down to be unobtrusive.  There will always be niggling little problems with it, and I HATE it when the system refuses to do what I ask it, but maybe the rate of encountering those things will be low.

But where is the innovation?

Changing the draperies and re-coding control panel applications as Metro Apps?  Seriously, that's it?

-Noel

But where is the innovation?

Changing the draperies and re-coding control panel applications as Metro Apps?  Seriously, that's it?

And are all these dramatic ;) changes relevant enough to justify the quantum :w00t: leap :w00t: of naming the thingy Windows 10 (as opposed to Windows 8.2, which is what the thingy actually is - though possibly Windows 8.1.1.1 would have been even more suited)  ?

jaclaz

That scroll behavior you talk about Noel, I've realized it makes using the volume control slider on the taskbar just that little bit more difficult to use.

I'd often play a video on utube or similar, click the volume icon and scroll up or down during loud ads or similar. As long as the slider box was the last thing clicked, you could control it.

Now the mouse must hover perfectly over the slider zone.. or it won't obey.

Rather annoying.

As with any UI change, it should have been made configurable.  I cannot find any such configuration item.  There's plenty of empty space in the Wheel tab of the Mouse Properties panel.  And there's less than nothing in the Big Font Dumbed Down PC Settings app.

Having used WizMouse for a long time (and it still adds advantages to Win 10), I'm used to having to point the mouse at things to get them to accept scroll events.  But I do see the advantage in doing what you've done.

Microsoft would be happy that they've made it harder for you to ignore advertisers I think.

-Noel

Personally, I can't even stand the word 'app' as to me it's not even a word. It bothered me how Windows 8 started using that term a bit more but after seeing screenshots of the start menu in Windows 10, changing the text all programs to all apps just about clinched it for me. I won't buy it if they don't change that. Why? Because app might be okay for the average person to use, but to me it comes off as unprofessional. It's funny because I saw the abbreviation tossed around the boards in posts way before the term became popular and it was even in Windows as an 'appdata' folder. But that didn't bother me so much. But all of a sudden the smartphone and tablet industry became popular and everything on there is an 'app', so why does that make it so on a PC as well? To me it's two different things. If I were to define what I consider an app, it would be a little utility that does something stupid or maybe something that connects to your local news station and gives you weather and news updates. But something like Microsoft Office or even something like a game found on a CD-ROM is a bit more sophisticated than being an 'app', those I consider programs. So to me, app =/= program. Two different things as far as I can see. Anyway, just my two cents.

... there are way too many writes to the disk in Windows 10, 10 GB in only 3 hours ...

confused-animated-gif.gif

That's ~30TB a year from OS housekeeping only ...

Has Microshaft started selling SSDs or something?

One word:  Indexing.

Three words:  Disable that crap!

Indexing is a poor implementation of a bad idea.  That's an expert opinion from someone doing this stuff most likely since before the birth of the id*** who decided indexing the content on a hard disk then storing the result on that same hard disk is a reasonable idea.

Common sense isn't.  Especially at Microsoft.

-Noel

Besides being a poor implementation it is also (mostly) a duplicated one.

Since most of the running Windows Systems use a NTFS filesystem, there is already a (pretty much accurate ;)) indexing in the $MFT, something that most "smart" quick search tools make use of.

jaclaz

ah thank holy spirits someone finally agrees indexing is piece of sh ...

and I can never understand why so many tools use $MFT and MS does not ...

they constantly want to use metadata search but fail to realise WinFS is GONE !!!

Edited by vinifera

The second build of Windows 10 is out - 9860.

More window dressing changes - generally for the worse.  The animations are annoying at best.  The new Notifications window ends up behind an auto-hidden Taskbar.

More reimplementation of the control panel in Metro/Modern.

To this day, if you search on any given event message in the event log, you get:

We're sorry There is no additional information about this issue in the Error and Event Log Messages or Knowledge Base databases at this time. You can use the links in the Support area to determine whether any additional information might be available elsewhere.

There is NO new substance that I can find.  As an engineer myself, my own products have improved more in the past 3 weeks than Windows has, and Microsoft has HOW MANY tens of thousands of programmers?

What we see again and again coming from Microsoft says only one thing:  It TRULY must be as bad as - or even worse than - we all fear there.

-Noel

The second build of Windows 10 is out - 9860.

There is NO new substance that I can find.

After seeing google make email into facebook like newsfeed (Google inbox) i wonder how microsoft will make windows look like facebook newsfeed. Lol

Nearest build of windows added another annoyance when it comes to Wifi networks.

On my laptop, I spend time in my home network and in hotels, cafes and B&Bs. So if I stay in the same hotel more than once, I have to change the WiFi depending on the floor I am. Sometimes some APs are better than others and you don't know until you connect.

So this is something that windows 8 did ok. The WiFi icon brings a side menu on the screen with the list of APs.

But no more on win10! How dare we have convenience!

Now you click on the same icon, and up comes the pc settings app. And wouldn't you expect that to open the WiFi APs page? Ha, don't be silly. It's the general networks tab, where then you need to click the WiFi settings.

But wait! There is more,

It auto forgets passwords when you change networks!

What are you thinking ms?

Sent from my Nexus 4 running CM11 (KK 4.4.4) using Tapatalk