POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

glnz

Are you guys referring merely to SP4 machines?  I’ve tried three SP3 machines now, and in each instance MU is giving me all of today’s March updates (the yellow shield “browser-less” option is there, too).

Maybe Microsoft is just parceling their servers.

SP4 users must delete this registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\WindowsEmbedded

Run WU check after doing so.

Edited by harkaz

@roffen the upper reg file presented by dencorso works for me. Just save it as a text file with .reg extension -> right click ->integrate and viola! reboot your PC and you will see POSReady updates in M$ update :>

Additionally, you should manually update .NET framework. to do this, manually download the files (listed in heinoganda's post, link in his signature) and install for each .NET version in chronological order. .NET 1.1 requires modifying the files in order to install them, but don't worry - most probably none of your programs uses 1.1, and you can simply uninstall it via remove programs in control panel.

.Net should receive no more updates for WinXP AFAIR, so this is just to be done once.

Silverlight is no more auto -updated. You may install newest version from M$ site or uninstall the Silverlight. I recommend the latter one - very little sites nowadays uses it.

Also update certificates - link to program and instruction in heinoganda's signature

Additionally, Java won't update on XP automatically. You may force to install newer version (it will just ask if you are sure - I did that and it works just fine) or uninstall Java if you don't use it at all.

@harkaz - no updates for me, only Office and software removal tool, Polish XP Home.

I'm certain this key is the culprit.

When I re-added the key and rechecked, WindowsUpdate.log file reported:

2016-03-08    23:20:37:234    1016    a6c    AU    AU setting next detection timeout to 2016-03-09 17:47:17
2016-03-08    23:20:37:234    1016    a6c    AU    Setting AU scheduled install time to 2016-03-09 01:00:00
2016-03-08    23:20:37:250    1016    a6c    AU    Cancelled download for invalidated/hidden/unapplicable update(s)
2016-03-08    23:20:37:250    1016    a6c    AU    WARNING: Download callback received for call not in AU's list. Ignore the call result.
2016-03-08    23:20:37:250    1016    a6c    AU    WARNING: Download callback received for call not in AU's list. Ignore the call result.
2016-03-08    23:20:42:218    1016    2ec    Report    REPORT EVENT: {D8339AE8-47A1-4EDA-A5C6-7A454C7AD8C7}    2016-03-08 23:20:37:218+0200    1    147    101    {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}    0    0    AutomaticUpdates    Success    Software Synchronization    Windows Update Client successfully detected 0 updates.

Think me that ultimately the POSReady 2009 Regkey long term updates yet allowed.

• Windows XP Professional for Embedded Systems. This product is identical to Windows XP, and Extended Support will end on April 8, 2014.
  • Windows XP Embedded Service Pack 3 (SP3). This is the original toolkit and componentized version of Windows XP. It was originally released in 2002, and Extended Support will end on Jan. 12, 2016.
  • Windows Embedded for Point of Service SP3. This product is for use in Point of Sale devices. It’s built from Windows XP Embedded. It was originally released in 2005, and Extended Support will end on April 12, 2016.
  • Windows Embedded Standard 2009. This product is an updated release of the toolkit and componentized version of Windows XP. It was originally released in 2008; and Extended Support will end on Jan. 8, 2019.
  • Windows Embedded POSReady 2009. This product for point-of-sale devices reflects the updates available in Windows Embedded Standard 2009. It was originally released in 2009, and extended support will end on April 9, 2019.

:)

@harkaz Seems like it works fine for me right now. Main method in first post should get updated.

You should be given a huge gay loving kiss of gratefulness, thanks :> Dude, how did you find that one that fast ;)

Edited by Mcinwwl

@bluebolt Fixed the SP4 thread to prevent confusion.

@Mcinwwl The keys related to Embedded versions are rather specific, so it wasn't difficult.

Edited by harkaz

@bluebolt Fixed the SP4 thread to prevent confusion.

Please check post #210 there as well.  Thanks harkaz.

EDIT:  I see that one's done now, too, thanks again.

Edited by bluebolt

@roffen the upper reg file presented by dencorso works for me. Just save it as a text file with .reg extension -> right click ->integrate and viola! reboot your PC and you will see POSReady updates in M$ update :>

Additionally, you should manually update .NET framework. to do this, manually download the files (listed in heinoganda's post, link in his signature) and install for each .NET version in chronological order. .NET 1.1 requires modifying the files in order to install them, but don't worry - most probably none of your programs uses 1.1, and you can simply uninstall it via remove programs in control panel.

.Net should receive no more updates for WinXP AFAIR, so this is just to be done once.

Silverlight is no more auto -updated. You may install newest version from M$ site or uninstall the Silverlight. I recommend the latter one - very little sites nowadays uses it.

Also update certificates - link to program and instruction in heinoganda's signature

Additionally, Java won't update on XP automatically. You may force to install newer version (it will just ask if you are sure - I did that and it works just fine) or uninstall Java if you don't use it at all.

@harkaz - no updates for me, only Office and software removal tool, Polish XP Home.

I don't know what to do, I was hoping that with SP4 installed, everything would from now on be honky-dory.

I find it increasingly difficult to grapple with all the technicalities. Age is taking its toll, I'm afraid. As some of you may be aware of, I have some other problems to deal with.

But I suppose I could perform the operartion of adding to the rgistry without messing it up, will look into that tomorrow.

Is the question now whether ms updates for xp is working? How can I find out about that?