bigmuscle

It should not happen. In fact, aerohost doesn't anything most of the time and it just sleeps in the background. It should become active only when user logs in/out or dwm.exe process is terminated/restarted. Maybe, dump file for aerohost.exe could say something.

I've also noticed aerohost.exe CPU consumption levels that are higher that I'd expect for a process that is supposedly 'sleeping' most of the time. It's certainly not a deal breaker for desktops but it's more of a concern for my notebook.

attachicon.gifScreenShot 001.png

As you can see from the screenshot, aero host is in the 'top 5' processes for cpu consumption since I booted up my computer over the last hour and have done only mild browsing, Aerohost is using more CPU resources than my chrome, skype, explorer, or dropbox, processes (combined)...

Are there any optimization 'tweaks' that could be done to reduce CPU usage? Obviously, more is being done than just sleeping here, I've neither logged in or out or opened any new apps for that matter. Hope this is helpful.

According to your screenshot, there seems to be no activity on aerohost.exe so I consider that it is sleeping. You simply cannot reduce CPU usage below 0%.

The debug.log say :

...[2014-02-21 21:51:51][0xBA8:0xBE4] EnsureGlassSafetyZoneSurfaces failed 0x80070057[2014-02-21 21:51:51][0xBA8:0xBE4] EnsureGlassSafetyZoneSurfaces failed 0x80070057[2014-02-21 21:51:52][0xBA8:0xBE4] EnsureGlassSafetyZoneSurfaces failed 0x80070057[2014-02-21 21:51:52][0xBA8:0xBE4] EnsureGlassSafetyZoneSurfaces failed 0x80070057[2014-02-21 21:51:52][0xBA8:0xBE4] EnsureGlassSafetyZoneSurfaces failed 0x80070057...
It repeat the same error a lot of time per second, result I get a big log pretty quick

Any idea ?

This is interesting problem. There is either some special system configuration which I didn't think about, or it is due to some incorrect settings. In the second case, it would be good to know the incorrect settings to avoid it.

can you undo the registry changes from the system when uninstalling?

The uninstaller should remove all registry entries which it created during the installation.

Hello, I've just made an account to report a little bug.

Sometimes while debugging a program (for school, I'm still a noob in programming) and I press "next step" in the visual studio 2013 debugger(F10 or F11 key), aero glass crashes and recovers immediately.

Not a big deal, but it generates those .dmp files which are quite large, the aeroglass folder is 12.5 GB already.

Is there any way to disable this auto-generating of .dmp files?

Here is one of the .dmp files: http://www.mediafire.com/download/z1xyohr6qbanmag/minidump-02-22-16-25-49.dmp

Thanks for the great software by the way!
Edited by lvh1

Even when running Chrome, my aerohost usage is not high. Highest I see it go is 0.13%

My total uptime is 19 hours, 48 minutes and aerohost's total cpu time is 2 minutes, 24 seconds. I'm perfectly fine with that.

Hi raiden89! Can you tell me how to use the theme 8 plus? I found it in http://froggz19.devi...s-8-1-402231766 .

I'm using the theme and Aero Glass for Windows 8.1 with TextGlowMode set to 0x3. But still no window has caption text glow effect.

Thank you very much!

I would use MrGrim's aero glass configurator. I use that to adjust the text glow mode. If you google that program, you should find it. The latest version works with Aero Glass 1.2. I have the glass. Also, make sure that you arent running on battery or you have the option to disable glass on battery disabled.

Oh, I found the issue that I was having, transparency cuts off when I'm running on battery, how do I get it to still be transparent while on battery?

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=Aero+Glass+for+Windows+8+disabled+on+battery

-Noel

Lol, yes, I've seen the guide - I'm wondering in plain English how I actually access HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\DWM (?) and then what method I use to edit this coding (Do I need software to do it?)

@BigMuscle: I'm looking into it and it looks like quite the unnecessarily troublesome process just for laptop users to be able to have glass transparency on their freakin' PC's now when it's running on battery, this didn't used to be an issue with your Windows 8 version of AeroGlass because by default it was enabled all the time even while running on battery... It makes a lot of sense and it would be much more logical to have it function the other way around and have AeroGlass on all the time by default and let more technical people be able to go into the code and disable AeroGlass on battery instead of how it is now... Or maybe have a setting during installation asking if you want to run AeroGlass on battery or not.

Edited by BlindMango

Sorry, it didn't occur to me that someone here might not know how to edit the registry.

Big Muscle has not been big on providing turnkey configurators for the software. You're expected to be somewhat expert at tweaking Windows to use Aero Glass for Win 8.

You've got some choices:

1. Learn to edit the registry using regedit. Note that this is a capability assumed in a lot of threads here. Be careful.

2. Try the configurator listed by raiden89 above.

3. Switch to a different operating system entirely that does not expect you to have to tweak it for days just to make it usable.

-Noel

Sorry, it didn't occur to me that someone here might not know how to edit the registry.

-Noel

Part of this would be Softpedia's and other download sites' fault. Listing BM's AG on their sites would make everyone think it's just some kind of conventional, 1-click and install-and-forget software. They should at least warn people about that it is not intended for non-power users.

I had a lot of problems with this version of glass, it was causing dcom errors that were causing crucial services not to start (Event ID 10005). I know it wasn't caused by anything else as it only started happening after I installed glass, and it went away when I uninstalled it.

Big Muscle has not been big on providing turnkey configurators for the software. You're expected to be somewhat expert at tweaking Windows to use Aero Glass for Win 8.

You've got some choices:

1. Learn to edit the registry using regedit. Note that this is a capability assumed in a lot of threads here. Be careful.

2. Try the configurator listed by raiden89 above.

3. Switch to a different operating system entirely that does not expect you to have to tweak it for days just to make it usable.

-Noel

Thanks for the help.

Also, I would understand why you wouldn't expect to see "people who can't edit the registry" in these forums, but I would say that actually would be possible in this specific thread as this is the only feasible way to get in contact with the developer and other people who use AeroGlass. I'm definitely not the only one that's come into the thread asking basic questions that are quite easy to answer. I'm questioning people that know what they're doing so that I can get the proper tools and then learn to do it myself. You really don't have to act as if it's some kind of ridiculous and annoying feat to simply tell someone to "use regedit" in an elitist, sarcastic tone. All I needed to know was how to do it and I will figure out the rest on my own, so again, thanks for the help.

Part of this would be Softpedia's and other download sites' fault. Listing BM's AG on their sites would make everyone think it's just some kind of conventional, 1-click and install-and-forget software. They should at least warn people about that it is not intended for non-power users.

That's not my experience with this, I've been following and commenting on this project in these forums for many months now, downloading it through his website and donating money to it. However, you are right, that may definitely be the case for many people though

People wouldnt give sarcastic, elitist answers if people just searched first instead of asking.

In fact, if you did do any searching and have followed this project as much as you say you do, then you would know that all the registry entries and what to use to change them is listed right on BigMuscle's website right here: http://glass8.berlios.de/guide.html

So, please. Dont come on here asking for help on how to use a software thats not meant for everyday users and then get upset when someone gives you a slightly sarcastic, yet direct answer that you could have found yourself.

Be the miracle.

Decided to just do a clean install of windows 8.1 as mine was previously 7 to 8 to 8.1 and there were a few things that i didnt care about like when i looked at the metro start (like once and that was it) not all apps were there even in the view all apps part and stuff like that and with bigmuscle saying there was a problem with it too i just decided to do it.

Glass donation key works perfectly now and registry changes all take effect

So, please. Dont come on here asking for help on how to use a software thats not meant for everyday users and then get upset when someone gives you a slightly sarcastic, yet direct answer that you could have found yourself.

Do you think that if one isn‘t a power-user than s/he can‘t have Aero Glass effects in Windows 8/8.1? Maybe one likes everything about new Windows, except AG removal from frames of windows, so using Windows 7, when there‘s such great program by bigmuscle, wouldn‘t be an option.

Edited by MainDeJustice