bigmuscle

Ooh, I can't wait to test your new stuff. Unfortunately I'm right in the middle of a big software release and can't risk destabilizing my system until probably tomorrow or the next day. WAH! :(

-Noel

I tried the GUI, and it is quite well made. The changes are visible immediately, so it is easy to know what causes what to change. This should help improve useability immensely.

One thing I noticed while using it is that changing the blur radius to zero creates non-blurred transparency as expected, but using any other value gives the same blur, irrespective of the value used. I get the same bur that I had set on my system before using this GUI, which was 10.

Big Muscle has said that he'll have something better going soon.

Twisted3313, just deal with it for a few days. Or just uninstall it. And NO, there is no other way to get glass effects. None. Big Muscle is THE man.

A watermark on your desktop should not bother you so much; try to come to grips with why it does. Being able to grin and bear it is a life skill that will serve you well, young padawan.

-Noel

Neowin: Windows 8.1 Spring update reportedly signed off to RTM

This update (or at least some earlier build of it) allegedly causes problems with Aero Glass, so it's likely that the final version will cause the same problems as well. If you don't test the update before official release, there will probably be a time when people won't able to use Aero Glass, including yourself.

But that may be too late. As a developer you might want to consider developing "ahead of time" by using pre-release software to ensure a working product at general availability. Just like a Firefox extension developer should use at least the beta channel to make sure the extension works with the upcoming version of Firefox. Otherwise people would have to wait some time to continue using a product, which is not desirable. It's about avoiding periods when a software is unusable, not about providing support for people actually using pre-release software before official release.

Edited by Hancoque

But that may be too late. As a developer you might want to consider developing "ahead of time" by using pre-release software to ensure a working product at general availability. Just like a Firefox extension developer should use at least the beta channel to make sure the extension works with the upcoming version of Firefox. Otherwise people would have to wait some time to continue using a product, which is not desirable. It's about avoiding periods when a software is unusable, not about providing support for people actually using pre-release software before official release.

Fixing non-problems before they maybe actually exist. :unsure:

Let's call it "proactive prevention" instead of the more common used term "lost time". :yes:

You may want to take note of the feeble line that is usually drawn between "leaked build" and "beta channel".

Particularly the latter is interactive, i.e. the developer of the Firefox extension can claim that a bug is in the beta of Firefox and the developing team may correct it, while in the case of the leaked build (to which you should have no access whatsoever) I doubt that you can tell the good MS guys that they messed up the update (or actually you can, but they won't likely listen to you).

In the specific case, the possibility of a "black out" (not that "professional" software actually provides you with any guarantee)is IMHO implied in:

Please, remember that this software is done in my free time and it is not done for any profit - the donation totally depends on you and you won't get the full service as in the case of regular paid software. You donate to support the development and not to buy the full version of the software!

jaclaz

But that may be too late. As a developer you might want to consider developing "ahead of time" by using pre-release software to ensure a working product at general availability.

Of course, I agree with you, except there is no "pre-release" for this update. There is only some leaked something.