• NOD32
    • Norton Antivirus (Home Version)
    • AVG
    • Avast!
    • F-Secure
    • Norman

• 2 weeks later...

Check this link out: http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/archives/products.xml

It shows the pass/fail/no-entry ratio of all decent anti-virus.

Currently I am using Symantec AV CE 9 but due to all the user comments I've been thinking of converting to NOD32 because I want low system resources, an effective program and ease of use. As I said earlier Kaspersky failed all bar the effective program label, so I'm off to try NOD32 with a pass/fail ratio of 29:3 against SAV9 with 29:6

Check this link out: http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/archives/products.xml

It shows the pass/fail/no-entry ratio of all decent anti-virus.

Currently I am using Symantec AV CE 9 but due to all the user comments I've been thinking of converting to NOD32 because I want low system resources, an effective program and ease of use. As I said earlier Kaspersky failed all bar the effective program label, so I'm off to try NOD32 with a pass/fail ratio of 29:3 against SAV9 with 29:6

pass fail ratio is bulls***.. u should check the pass fail ratio of last 4months or so... wot if ur favo scanner passed 30 tests since 2 years, n failed all tests from the last 5 months.. then its 30/5 but the virusscanner is just crap :)

You must have not have done your homework. Kasperski has by far the best set of definition files. That is how it does what it does. I Can also tell you the problem here with testing is that kasperski picks up tons of stuff that is not virii per say. For instance it picks up and proggies you have on your system that can reboot the system. Try running this on a system with aol on it which uses multiple little apps to reboot the system and you will see kasperski with multiple false positives since these little apps are not really firii.

Now multiply that by many other little apps. I'm not saying this is bad though as it does find other things like spyware, adaware and stuff. But the one thing kaspersky does not have is a good heuristics engine. It's not bad but by no means good. Kasperski's success has all to do with it's definition files. And here it is the best bar none. However if you happen to catch a virii in the early hours before they have definitions ready you are out of luck. I have a on demand scanner that uses kasperski to scan systems with after that fact and it is good for this.

The other issue with kasperski is that it is much heavier on system resources. You will find allot of people that use their systems heavily will not be happy with this. For powerusers with the latest systems it's not such a big deal but with the normal home user which are using systems around 1ghz - 1.5ghz still it is a very big deal when the av solution sucks the life out of the system. Try running any norton product and you will see even worse.

Nod on the other hand is good at catching virii that are new out on the net. it has the best heuristics engine bar none. Which is why it is good for in the wild virii (virii that are new and have no definition files yet) It also makes nod much liter on resources and I have even heard allot of gamers prefer it for it's lightness while playing their games.

So when I need to clean systems I use nod32 and the kaasperski on demand scanner they work great together and nod even catches things that kaspersky doesn't sometimes. When I get done I can be sure there is most likely nothing else on the system.

it also interesting to note that allot of the other guys on here that I know do system building are recommending nod32 also. There must be a reason why. We see this stuf fall day long week after week. It's kinda sad really.

Try running this on a system with aol on it which uses multiple little apps to reboot the system
I'm always busy with lil programs n downloading n testing sh*t...n Fprot always go those lil programs.. now I got kaspersky.. no probs..
The other issue with kasperski is that it is much heavier on system resources.

hmm I choose kaspersky coss I'm not sencing any performence slow-down.. might be coss I tweaked me pc and got sata..

n I rarely get virusses .. as far as my expierence.. norton, kaspersky, panda n fprot all are the same... but the things I read on the net is that kaspersky is the best..