Aero Glass for Win8 RC4

bigmuscle

re @ "What hardware used"

I still can't use this piece of wonder again. I get a black screen on boot. Is there anything kind of info I can provide to help getting it fixed/sorted?

Windows is up to date. (9200.16581.amd64fre.win8_gdr.130410-1505)

nVidia driver is up to date-ish. (314.07, I downgraded from 320 since it nearly killed one of my cards.)

Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z BIOS version : 1403

Video card: ASUS GTX660 (non-Ti, no SLI, single card)

Processor (AMD FX-8350 @4.7GHz)

RAM Crucial ballistix Tactical (Micron D9 chips) - 16GB

.. not sure what else could be relevant.

And one more thing on my mind. Maybe someone has the same experience - in the last month I had to reinstall my Win8 twice just due to the black screen on startup and CTRL key didn't help (and neither system restore helped). But the important thing is that Aero Glass was not active at this time at all, so it seems that some Windows update was the cause.

Maybe, that is the cause: http://support.micro...b/2850674/en-us?

I don't think it's related. My windows does not freeze (I can hear skype/etc logging in, and power button works just fine to shut it down. pressing random keys gives the familiar bell. I just can't see what's happening since the screen is black.

I also don't use sleep at all, my computer either run, or is restarting. or powered down.

re-enabling UEFI secure boot makes windows boot just fine. it only happens when the DWMGlass DLL is loaded.

I don't use custom theme (regular windows 8 theme, no uXpatch) (is it required?)

Edited by Tarzikaf

Is It Possible To Have The Stripes Like In Windows 7 Also The 3D Flip Thing ?

Bigmuscle said that Flip 3D will be implemented later. Stripes are dependent on the theme itself.

The streaks are still in the theme but they're only rendered with the Aero Peek window and not the regular windows, taskbar, or any other part of the blur area.

I noticed slower Windows loading time (after login), starting by version 0.92... also, everytime windows icon cache is cleaned at startup (this won't happen with dwmglass disabled).

My DWMGlass folder is C:\Windows\System32\MyDWM.

Here's my debug.log:

http://pastebin.com/aceVB6Lq

Edited by niun

I noticed slower Windows loading time (after login), starting by version 0.92... also, everytime windows icon cache is cleaned at startup (this won't happen with dwmglass disabled).

My DWMGlass folder is C:\Windows\System32\MyDWM.

Here's my debug.log:

http://pastebin.com/aceVB6Lq

I don't think your path for folder is good idea. You forgot about permissions...

No, actually I didn't forget, but everything works fine, this loading delay was the only flaw since version 0.92

Edited by niun

Is It Possible To Have The Stripes Like In Windows 7 Also The 3D Flip Thing ?

Bigmuscle said that Flip 3D will be implemented later. Stripes are dependent on the theme itself.

The One In Windows 7 Is Different It's In Some Kind Of Pattern

I have installed this fantastic peace of software into my Windows 8 pro and WIndows 8 home versions and even on my server 2012 test environement.

I have found out that the text (for example run window) is with a little white color behind, since it is not easy for me, i took a screenshot of both cases. Every time it is the black command prompt which is behind to have the same background color.

http://www44.zippyshare.com/v/92130078/file.html

That's the Glow effect in the text which was present since the Developer Preview theme to the Release Preview one. If you are using the Release Preview theme or the Custom Theme resource from AGTweaker, it's intentional. Use the standard Windows 8 theme or something else without it if you don't like it.

Edited by WindowsOS

Oh, I have been using hte latest RC for over a week without getting the error about the Theme Resources.

Yesterday I tried out the theme posted about 20 posts ago with the default Windows 8 with text glow (Think its called Aero Glow). And then I started to get the theme saving error.

And what is more annoying about that, is that uninstalling the Aero Glow theme does not stop the error. But I'm not complaining. I know that these things happen when bug testing, and that seems to be a way to cause the bug.

Were there patched theme files in play here? If Microsoft updates components that touch any patched files, it may only be able to load digitally signed files (themes) and thus DWM will fail to properly initialize without theme data. It occurred with a windows update that happened a while back, I imagine it could theoretically happen again...

Actually, this seems to be the real reason of my black screens. However, it is more complicated because I was using signed theme when it happened. I noticed that theme in HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\etc. key is loaded before login screen and this theme does not always correspond the user's current theme. And when the black screen appeared, it was really set to the unsigned theme resulting in DWM failed to load. So questions are: when the theme into default user registry branch is set? And why Windows automatic repair is not able to fix this problem?

Edited by bigmuscle

I have installed this fantastic peace of software into my Windows 8 pro and WIndows 8 home versions and even on my server 2012 test environement.

I have found out that the text (for example run window) is with a little white color behind, since it is not easy for me, i took a screenshot of both cases. Every time it is the black command prompt which is behind to have the same background color.

http://www44.zippyshare.com/v/92130078/file.html

That's the Glow effect in the text which was present since the Developer Preview theme to the Release Preview one. If you are using the Release Preview theme or the Custom Theme resource from AGTweaker, it's intentional. Use the standard Windows 8 theme or something else without it if you don't like it.

Thanks for your answer.

What do i need to do if on both computers, it is the default theme that is installed.

Edited by gontie

I don't think it's related. My windows does not freeze (I can hear skype/etc logging in, and power button works just fine to shut it down. pressing random keys gives the familiar bell. I just can't see what's happening since the screen is black.

I also don't use sleep at all, my computer either run, or is restarting. or powered down.

re-enabling UEFI secure boot makes windows boot just fine. it only happens when the DWMGlass DLL is loaded.

I don't use custom theme (regular windows 8 theme, no uXpatch) (is it required?)

In such case, post your debug.log (unless you've already post it and I overlooked it) and possibly minidump.dmp (for RC3 only). Maybe something causes crash or deadlock in your DWM.