Aero Glass for Win8 RC4

bigmuscle

NoelC: my Windows 8 installation for Aero Glass experiments are running under VMWare where only a minimum amount of utilities is installed else the system is completely clean. It was interesting that problem appeared always in the same situation - I didn't shutdown but only put a system into a sleep. After a day I resumed from sleep, everything was working correctly until I needed to restart. The scenario was always the same...

And about the glow effect. Although all windows glow effect is just a stretched texture (stored in the theme atlas), the shell windows generate the effect on-the-fly. Thus there is no resource for this and you must directly edit glow constants in msstyle file. Check this http://vistastylebuilder.com/forum/index.php?topic=1932.msg10940#msg10940

Well, it's pretty well known that if you want to avoid problems you want to deconfigure all the sleep / power-down states.

That's not just Windows 8 - it's been true of every version.

Just shut your systems down when you don't need 'em. Or, far better - just let 'em run with the monitors powered-down.

I never "sleep" or "hibernate" my systems, and lo and behold they run consistently for weeks on end (between Windows Updates that require reboots).

I have a server (once a workstation, long since retired) running Vista x64 for years. It's on a very good UPS and hadn't been off since about 2010. Lo and behold, we had a bad storm and an extended power failure about 10 days ago, which exceeded the 45 minute UPS capacity, so the system shut down to a full power-off state.

It never came back on. I think it's the power supply that didn't survive the cooling/heating cycle.

It may not be "green", but I suggest you avoid sleep/hibernation/shutdown entirely.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

And about the glow effect. Although all windows glow effect is just a stretched texture (stored in the theme atlas), the shell windows generate the effect on-the-fly. Thus there is no resource for this and you must directly edit glow constants in msstyle file. Check this http://vistastylebui...g10940#msg10940

Thanks for that info. OK, so it really will take a full theme replacement to make this work right, unless you have plans to tweak something at run time to bring that glow back.

I'd be interested, now that themes without Microsoft signatures can be used, in whether anyone has taken the default Aero.msstyles and changed just this one thing to bring ribbon window glows back. I'm not sure I'm ready to get into full theme editing just yet.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

I still can't use this piece of wonder again. I get a black screen on boot. Is there anything kind of info I can provide to help getting it fixed/sorted?

Windows is up to date. (9200.16581.amd64fre.win8_gdr.130410-1505)

nVidia driver is up to date-ish. (314.07, I downgraded from 320 since it nearly killed one of my cards.)

Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z BIOS version : 1403

Video card: ASUS GTX660 (non-Ti, no SLI, single card)

Processor (AMD FX-8350 @4.7GHz)

RAM Crucial ballistix Tactical (Micron D9 chips) - 16GB

.. not sure what else could be relevant.

Do you guys know of a way to recover from one of these disasters? Can I get into system recovery options and refresh my pc when it won't boot because of a black screen? Or do I have to get another drive and make a system image?

Do you guys know of a way to recover from one of these disasters? Can I get into system recovery options and refresh my pc when it won't boot because of a black screen? Or do I have to get another drive and make a system image?

I have an UEFI bios with disable-able secure boot, so I can turn that on and negate any DLL inject. but yeah. Not everyone can do that.

OP:

--> if your computer won't boot up for some reason (glass failure), hold CTRL key during DWM loading and no procedure will be installed into memory

Well, it's pretty well known that if you want to avoid problems you want to deconfigure all the sleep / power-down states.

That's not just Windows 8 - it's been true of every version.

Just shut your systems down when you don't need 'em. Or, far better - just let 'em run with the monitors powered-down.

I never "sleep" or "hibernate" my systems, and lo and behold they run consistently for weeks on end (between Windows Updates that require reboots).

I have a server (once a workstation, long since retired) running Vista x64 for years. It's on a very good UPS and hadn't been off since about 2010. Lo and behold, we had a bad storm and an extended power failure about 10 days ago, which exceeded the 45 minute UPS capacity, so the system shut down to a full power-off state.

It never came back on. I think it's the power supply that didn't survive the cooling/heating cycle.

It may not be "green", but I suggest you avoid sleep/hibernation/shutdown entirely.

-Noel

Huh? I put my computer in sleep mode every night. I have done so every night for probably the past several years. The only time I've shut it down is when it needs to get unplugged from the wall. Never had a single problem.

I also had a laptop that I did the same. Since it was a laptop and had a battery I never turned it off at all, and used sleep mode for a few years. Never once had an issue.

I think you're looking at some bad hardware or drivers if you can't handle low power states properly. Theres nothing wrong with Windows' sleep/hibernate modes.

I think you're looking at some bad hardware or drivers if you can't handle low power states properly. Theres nothing wrong with Windows' sleep/hibernate modes.

I'd have to agree, I've been having sleep problems on only one PC out of 6 and it turned out to be caused by a logitech keyboard in the end. Funnily enough, the same logitech keyboard doesn't cause the problem on another PC. So it might be a bad combination of hardware components.

I'd be interested, now that themes without Microsoft signatures can be used, in whether anyone has taken the default Aero.msstyles and changed just this one thing to bring ribbon window glows back. I'm not sure I'm ready to get into full theme editing just yet.

I did but I won't publish it now - just a default Aero theme with glow everywhere a bit darker shadow on active windows and less transparent inactive windows to make it look more like it looked in Direct2D mode. I didn't still decide whether to modify default Aero theme only or use something different e.g. RP based etc.

NoelC, hmm...there are some things I like about your theme and some things I don't like.

Positives: I like the dropdown shadows around the window frame and I like the frame itself

Negatives: I dislike the rounded window frame corners and the caption buttons.

And about the glow effect. Although all windows glow effect is just a stretched texture (stored in the theme atlas), the shell windows generate the effect on-the-fly. Thus there is no resource for this and you must directly edit glow constants in msstyle file. Check this http://vistastylebui...g10940#msg10940

Thanks for that info. OK, so it really will take a full theme replacement to make this work right, unless you have plans to tweak something at run time to bring that glow back.

-Noel

Here you go: http://thepanda-x.deviantart.com/art/Aero-Glow-377917903

It uses all the default settings for glow as used in Windows 7.