Start Is Back - 2.1 release

Tihiy

Stop Defender...and look if this improves performance.

I may try that temporarily just to see if Defender is the culprit but I will not disable Defender full-time as I want antivirus protection.

Are you saying the slow icons occur whether or not startisback is installed?

I used to use defender (or rather, MSE) until it started slowing down access to any folder with a lot of files, for example my download folder took about 30 seconds to open the first time after boot. Disabling MSE solved the problem, and switching to another antivirus didn't re-introduce it. So I'm pretty sure defender is the culprit there.

I may try that temporarily just to see if Defender is the culprit but I will not disable Defender full-time as I want antivirus protection.

Are you saying the slow icons occur whether or not startisback is installed?

This is a known bug that goes all way back to the very first days of MSE after Microsoft acquired the company that made it originally, and affects folders with a large amount of executables in them. My guess is that it's on demand scanner isn't very clever and scans them as the system opens access to the EXE to retrieve it's icon, which causes the lag in displaying the icons. This bug has nothing whatsoever to do with SIB. It's been reported and Microsoft have done sod all to fix it.

Thanks guys. I had no idea that MSE was such a baddie. I installed startisback shortly after upgrading to Windows 8 and just assumed the slow program icon problem was with startisback and not with a Microsoft antivirus protection product (that is suppose to well integrate with the operating system). I've never had any other problems with MSE but maybe it's time to look at alternatives like Avira.

I have a (very) small bug to report. With small icons enabled and a start orb that overhangs the taskbar (e.g. the default one and the 6801 I am using), the start menu overlaps the overhang of the start button. Not very noticeable, but a bug nonetheless.

Edited by Dblake1

Greetings all!

I just stumbled upon a problem here :( don't know what happened, or how.. but I can no longer use the search function at all. Doesn't matter what I type, it only says "No items match your search". If I press enter, or "See more results" an error box appears that reads "Windows cannot find 'search:query=regedit'. Make sure you've typed the name correctly, then try again. Note that it doesn't matter what I type in the search box.

What could've caused this? I can't remember doing anything special at all. Didn't install any new programs, didn't uninstall anything.

Even tried uninstalling startisback, with delete settings and license, and then install again. I've rebooted and all.. but nothing.

I can go to "Start Screen" and there I can search. Quite mind boggling this is.

Any and all help appreciated.

Also, love this software!

Sincerly,

/Martin

::EDIT:: Using windows 8 pro x64,

startisback version 2.1.1

:: SECOND EDIT:::

Stupid me realised I had fiddled with the registry.. did a system restore when audio failed and windows was about to commit e-suicide, and now everything works! ****, windows 8 is more sensitive than an emo kid!! >.<

Edited by skitungen

Version 2.1.2

- New translations

- Fixed lot of minor configurator issues (incorrect shutdown option list, 'shared corners' not working on x64, rare crash)

- Startscreen.exe /pintostartmenu filepath to pin filepath to start menu. Also you may check out slightly updated group policy.

Hope I didn't screw anything.