Decided to Move on From Windows 98SE

Monroe

Server 2K3 - Mainstream - 7/13/2010 / Extended - 7/14/2015

XP - Mainstream - 4/14/2009 / Extended - 8/4/2014

As a "general rule" (depending on the Vendor) if it runs on XP, it'll run on 2K3. Some vendors "block" the install if it's a Server to get you to purchase a separate product (e.g. O&O Defrag - Pro and Server Editions).

Running both in addition to 98SE (multiboot).

Edited by submix8c

During a recent garage sale I bought a good shrink-wrapped Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition, with 25 Client Access Licenses, for $3, and 3 thick books about Windows 2003 Server by Jerry Honeycutt, at the used book store of the public library, for $5. Would there be any benefit to migrate from Win98 to Windows 2003, instead of WinXP? Is there any use of installing Win2003 as an additional operating system selection, besides WinXP? Could one expect the support of Win2003 to go beyond that of WinXP? In other words, if one decides to move on from Win98SE, would it be better to move on to WinXP or to Win2003?

That's a really tricky question... IMO, 2k3 has some advantages over XP, mainly in how much RAM it can access officially, so that for the right hardware it may be clearly advantageous. However, it's much more time-consuming to set a daily-use Desktop starting from 2k3 (there is a how-to in MSFN for that), so I'd never recommend it for anyone not already very familiar with XP, let alone someone migrating from 9x/ME, with no previous experience of the NT-family OSes. Of course, that's just my 2¢.

...it's much more time-consuming to set a daily-use Desktop starting from 2k3 (there is a how-to in MSFN for that), so I'd never recommend it for anyone not already very familiar with XP, let alone someone migrating from 9x/ME, with no previous experience of the NT-family OSes. Of course, that's just my 2¢.
I tend to agree, but if you follow the procedures you "kind of" have an XP that you can "turn on" Server functions "as you learn". Fair warning! I'm not so certain about "plugging in" the System Restore function - I did, but turned it back "off" once I got used to the ins/outs of 2K3 Recovery (it could be dangerous if you actually use Server functions then use it).

Work with the XP a bit before going the 2K3 route - my $.02.

edit - And I kind of "jumped" into 2K3 before familiar with either. Actually (in my case) made using XP a cakewalk. Consider 2K3 a "super XP Pro"...

P.S. Enterprise? WOOHOO!!! You got a bargain!

edit2 - oops! One big disadvantage (but not really) - no Fast User Switching and no Welcome screen. Works like W2K - a single user Sign In Window.

Edited by submix8c

Hi Multibooter ...

"Cloning a HDD is so much faster than re-installing operating systems and applications on several computers. Also, to support 3 laptops with different configurations and installations is already quite some task. The comment at the bottom of posting #11 http://www.msfn.org/...post__p__997784 might be interesting. With your approach you may have to activate for example your virus scanning software several times."

Yes, I have been working mainly on one computer ... getting everything just right and then doing a Ghost backup. I put that backup on the other two notebooks, since they are so close, it's like 99% OK but I have a driver or two to add ... like the T41 has a different modem than what the T42's have but that can be fixed in less than a minute. Actually all three notebooks have been "ready" for WiFi testing a few days ago but I didn't want to take three computers all at once to a WiFi spot ... just taking one at a time to test everything completely and then I do a new Ghost backup on each computer. I have been updating some of my software programs that were "Last Versions for Windows 98SE" but still have "newer" versions for Windows XP. Yes, I am pleased with the "transfer" from Windows 98SE to XP and then hope to look into a dual system or virtual system soon. Once I get the "final" Ghost backups made, then I will experiment.

Thanks for your help ... I don't have a Router setup at present, that's another project for later.

Instead of being strictly subject-orientated' date=' I would rather define the Win9x forum in a people-orientated way, as a group of people with some common interest in Win9x, who look at WinXP, Windows 7 etc from a common background.[/quote']

Yes few XP/Vista/7 user have lived through our experience with w9x. None of them know how it looks like to be on w9x.

IMO we have a lot to tell to these poeple. They must be stunned at the way we could tweak their computers, make them much easy to use, safer, friendlier.

You may want to consider a Router with Static DHCP capability. You can set specific IP numbers in the Router for each Computer when connected to your network without having to set fixed IPs in the Computers themselves.
Thanks rloew. I will look into it when I eventually have to get a replacement for my broken wireless router in the next couple of weeks, my wife complains already about those Ethernet cables lying around all over. I have been putting off the purchase of a new wireless router always to the next week, maybe I am suffering from router-phobia.

What complicates matters is that the computers have to work in the home networks in 3 countries, with 3 different ISPs, with ADSL and cable modem connections, and with routers of different makes/country settings/voltages, and with a different digit in the third field of the IP number. I probably will have to buy 3 identical routers. Any advice is appreciated, thanks again rloew.

During a recent garage sale I bought a good shrink-wrapped Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition, with 25 Client Access Licenses, for $3, and 3 thick books about Windows 2003 Server by Jerry Honeycutt, at the used book store of the public library, for $5. Would there be any benefit to migrate from Win98 to Windows 2003, instead of WinXP? Is there any use of installing Win2003 as an additional operating system selection, besides WinXP? Could one expect the support of Win2003 to go beyond that of WinXP? In other words, if one decides to move on from Win98SE, would it be better to move on to WinXP or to Win2003?

Routers typically can be configured to set the LAN subnet. There is no reason to have different third digits unless the Routers are on the same LAN. Even then there are options.

The hard part is finding a good Router with Static DHCP. Not many have Static DHCP and many of them have other issues.

I use a Buffalo WHR-G54S which has Static DHCP, doesn't choke on Bit-Torrent activity, and I can turn off the Radio so I don't have to worry about wireless vulnerabilities.

finds

adding more fuels:

WinXP built-in search is sucks, you need to replace'em with other 3rd parties software, ASAP.

Suck-y-ness #1: You can't search for content like "# 2012" (without quote), without being annoyed.

I plug a fat32 formated flash drive, and try to find a text file that contain above text/strings.

on winXP the find-file said: "The Indexing Service query cannot be completed successfuly because the volume you have specified are not indexed."

but you can see the proper result with win98SE find file.

Suck-y-ness #2: Alt+W doesn't always works.

Sure, i can move my hand to the mouse, move the mouse pointer, and click at designated control,

but using my left hand to press Alt+W is a lot faster way, to specifiy new search word.

While that was the case on Win98SE find-file, its not necessry works on winxp's.

If the control focus currently on search result or address bar, the Alt+W wont works.

Suck-y-ness #3: WinXp search are smarter, or so it thought.

New features that i haven't find a way to turn it off, yet.

WinXp search will CHANGES the displayed search result's mode, as it see fit.

Try searching *.png; or *.jpg search results will automatically put in thumbnail mode, yet this might not what i was looking for.

I might want to look or make quick comparison on when the files was modifed, or which files that might have a somewhat similar size (in KBytes).

Therefore i must put extra steps to adjust the result view mode.

Heck, sometimes winxp find, automatically changes the result to Icon/Tiles mode, yuck.

If anyone know how to turn off this 'feature', please let me know.

Edited by Joseph_sw

Routers typically can be configured to set the LAN subnet. There is no reason to have different third digits unless the Routers are on the same LAN. Even then there are options.
Hi rloew,

With one wireless router in Europe the 3rd digit is 2, and I wasn't able to change it to 1, like for my other routers. That means whenever I am there I have to change the Windows IP settings for the gateway, of the laptop I take there, and to change it again when I am back in the US.

The hard part is finding a good Router with Static DHCP. Not many have Static DHCP and many of them have other issues.

I use a Buffalo WHR-G54S which has Static DHCP, doesn't choke on Bit-Torrent activity, and I can turn off the Radio so I don't have to worry about wireless vulnerabilities.

Thanks for your hint, VERY helpful. Your Buffalo has apparently only 100 Mb Ethernet, like my current spare router. My son does games etc. on the internet, and he complained already that the spare router is too slow, with a 100Mb cable connection, so I probably will get a faster/Gigabit router. Your Buffalo router is on the dd-wrt compatibility list, have you installed the dd-wrt firmware in your router? dd-wrt firmware is open-source, so no government spyware. When I looked at their page about "Static DHCP" http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Static_DHCP I saw the mule, my favorite animal, and my router-phobia was forgotten.

BTW, I am not yet sure whether Static DHCP http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_Host_Configuration_Protocol is for me. I have maybe 8 Netgear WPN511 wireless PC Cards, for my Inspiron 7500 laptops in various locations. Some WLAN cards were assigned under Windows the same IP number, even if they have different MAC numbers. Static DHCP seems to require the assignment of a unique IP number for every MAC number. Under Win98 I may reach unknown territory with the maximum number of instances of TCP/IP (the default maximum is 6, Win98 has been running Ok for me with MaxInstance set to 16 in section [MSTCP.ndi] in NETTRANS.INF, WinXP apparently does not have a restriction on the number of TCP/IP instances). The user manual http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=11&m=RT-N66U%20%28VER.B1%29&os=8 did not mention Static DHCP, but perhaps with the dd-wrt firmware the router will have Static DHCP.

I have been looking at the Asus RT-N66U router, quite pricey http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/31687-asus-rt-n66u-dark-knight-dual-band-wireless-n900-gigabit-router-reviewed?start=1 This router seems to be in demand, the salesman at Frys told me that the day after they get a shipment the shelf is empty again. This router is also on the dd-wrt compatibility list http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices#Asus No idea whether this compatibility list is reliable, if not I'll have a $180 brick. My network printer HP2605d is not on the [uSB] printer compatibility list by Asus, but that doesn't matter since the printer works fine via Ethernet, under Win98 and WinXP. Any comments?

Edited by Multibooter

@Multibooter

Isoinfo is also for Win32 allright, it is a "companion app" of mkisofs, part of the cdrtools, OT but not that much:

http://reboot.pro/12406/

And I have to correct you, if jaclaz had searched for such an utility and didn't find it, then .... ;)

Is something I simply never had a need for, since .iso are read only, for the ones that I need to have a list of the contents I have always created a text index for them, which is pretty much "static" ;).

It is perfectly possible that such an utility to search inside .iso does exist. :unsure:

All in all it could be something like the mentioned zipfldr.dll.

About drive letters, you should be aware that since 2K it is possible to have mountpoints to folders (and not to drive letters), it is a "general feature" of NTFS.

If you don't "like" NTFS, you can have anyway a very small NTFS volume and use it as "collector" of mountpoints.

You can use disk management :

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307889/en-us

or command line:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/mountvol.mspx?mfr=true

jaclaz

My son does games etc. on the internet, and he complained already that the spare router is too slow, with a 100Mb cable connection, so I probably will get a faster/Gigabit router.

You probably should check and make sure that your ISP link is fast enough to warrant a Gigabit router, many are not. If not, the ISP link will be the limiting factor and the extra bandwidth of the Gigabit vs 100Mb router will be wasted. Along with the money.

Cheers and Regards

Isoinfo is also for Win32 allright, it is a "companion app" of mkisofs, part of the cdrtools, OT but not that much:

http://reboot.pro/12406/

Hi jaclaz,

isos are a tricky subject matter, and if it doesn't have a GUI, it's too complicated for me.

Here a good overview of various programs: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_disc_image_software

... Is something I simply never had a need for, since .iso are read only...It is perfectly possible that such an utility to search inside .iso does exist. :unsure:

All in all it could be something like the mentioned zipfldr.dll.

UltraISO v9.3.6.2750 is my preferred tool under Win98SE and WinXP to edit isos, it's just a delete/drag-and-drop. The following uses could come to one's mind:

1) repairing of bad CDs, especially bootable CDs, by replacing corrupt files in the .iso with good original files

2) cleaning of infected CDs, especially bootable CDs, by deleting the infected stuff. There is a rumor that in some countries a CD-full could be bought for one USD, including critters

3) repairing of bad downloaded isos which contain e.g. broken .avi files; after cutting off/repairing the bad sections in the .avi, the .iso/CD is again in a useful condition

About drive letters, you should be aware that since 2K it is possible to have mountpoints to folders (and not to drive letters), it is a "general feature" of NTFS.

I try to stay away from new features which don't exist under both Win98 and WinXP, unless absolutely necessary. Edited by Multibooter

Hi rloew,

With one wireless router in Europe the 3rd digit is 2, and I wasn't able to change it to 1, like for my other routers. That means whenever I am there I have to change the Windows IP settings for the gateway, of the laptop I take there, and to change it again when I am back in the US.

I am surprised. I have never seen a router that did not allow an arbitrary setting for the Router's IP number.

Thanks for your hint, VERY helpful. Your Buffalo has apparently only 100 Mb Ethernet, like my current spare router. My son does games etc. on the internet, and he complained already that the spare router is too slow, with a 100Mb cable connection, so I probably will get a faster/Gigabit router. Your Buffalo router is on the dd-wrt compatibility list, have you installed the dd-wrt firmware in your router? dd-wrt firmware is open-source, so no government spyware. When I looked at their page about "Static DHCP" http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Static_DHCP I saw the mule, my favorite animal, and my router-phobia was forgotten.

I use the router mainly to access the Internet, which is a lot slower than 100Mb/Sec, rather than as a local switch. I have a Gigabit Switch to handle Gigabit capable Computers.

BTW, I am not yet sure whether Static DHCP http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_Host_Configuration_Protocol is for me. I have maybe 8 Netgear WPN511 wireless PC Cards, for my Inspiron 7500 laptops in various locations. Some WLAN cards were assigned under Windows the same IP number, even if they have different MAC numbers. Static DHCP seems to require the assignment of a unique IP number for every MAC number. Under Win98 I may reach unknown territory with the maximum number of instances of TCP/IP (the default maximum is 6, Win98 has been running Ok for me with MaxInstance set to 16 in section [MSTCP.ndi] in NETTRANS.INF, WinXP apparently does not have a restriction on the number of TCP/IP instances). The user manual http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=11&m=RT-N66U%20%28VER.B1%29&os=8 did not mention Static DHCP, but perhaps with the dd-wrt firmware the router will have Static DHCP.

I haven't tried to share IP numbers among multiple MAC Addresses.

Another option is to override the MAC Addresses of the Cards, so they can use the same MAC Address.

You probably should check and make sure that your ISP link is fast enough to warrant a Gigabit router, many are not. If not, the ISP link will be the limiting factor and the extra bandwidth of the Gigabit vs 100Mb router will be wasted. Along with the money.
Hi bphlpt,

Eventually high connection speeds will become cheap, what I don't have now, I may have later. I just want to get a router which works invisibly in the corner for the next 10 years, which works fine with all new stuff I may need during the next 10 years, where no government spy is hidden and where the bogeyman doesn't come out of the router box to haunt me.

WinXP built-in search is sucks
Hi Joseph_sw,

I am usually using 2 computers (and 2 screens) simultaneously. Both computers are connected via a network.

When one computer is running WinXP, and the other computer is running Win98SE I can use Win98 Find on the the Win98 computer to search the WinXP computer, including NTFS partitions. Win98SE, via a network, can access, read and write to NTFS partitions on a computer running WinXP. So one alternative to using WinXP Search is to use Win98 Find on a Win98 computer connected via a network.

With Kaspersky Anti-Virus v6 under Win98SE, for example, I can check the NTFS partition of a computer running WinXP if both computers are connected via a network. That's why a good router, a good network setup and a second computer could be a feasible alternative to migrating, multibooting or running a virtual PC. That's also why I have posted earlier comments about routers, off-topic at first glance.

Edited by Multibooter

Regarding searching into .iso (and other type of archives): jaclaz might not have tried Total Commander with a truckload of Packer (and Lister, when needed) plug-ins. ;)

When I have an iso and need to extract files from it, I open TC, double-click the iso, select the files by dragging with right-button down (as in old Norton Commander, for those who remember it) and then drag the selection to the folder open in the other panel. If there can be something easier than that... :whistle: