KernelEx for Win2000

17 minutes ago, oludu33 said:

Good idea. But how can I know what those KB updates exactly on the system?

I don't completely understand what you're asking, but I can tell you the locations of all the files. Either way, it's useful information.

All DLL files from KB951748 go in C:\WINNT\system32

All DLL files from KB2817183 except vgx.dll go in C:\WINNT\system32

All SYS files from KB951748 go in C:\WINNT\system32\drivers

vgx.dll goes in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VGX

Also, here are links to the updates:

KB2817183 | KB951748

On 11/5/2020 at 2:18 AM, Ximonite said:

I don't completely understand what you're asking, but I can tell you the locations of all the files. Either way, it's useful information.

All DLL files from KB951748 go in C:\WINNT\system32

All DLL files from KB2817183 except vgx.dll go in C:\WINNT\system32

All SYS files from KB951748 go in C:\WINNT\system32\drivers

vgx.dll goes in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VGX

Also, here are links to the updates:

KB2817183 | KB951748

Thanks that's what I wanted to know. I downloaded the KBs you linked and extracted contents of the EXE. I took all the files you mentioned and moved them to the correct folders you said (via Windows 7 on same PC). Sadly it did not work :( it still takes 10 minutes to start up and load network and refuses to log me in saying domain not available. :(

• 1 month later...

Well, I've done a little experimentation with this, but am unable to install Avast 9.0.xxxx (the oldest Avast still supported with updated definitions), which complains it needs XP as a minimum. How do I trick the setup program that it is running on XP?

The W98 KernelEx had a compatibility setting in the Explorer file properties window to select the spoofed version, but I don't see this feature here.

Joe.

11 hours ago, dencorso said:

:hello:  Hey! Good to see you! It's been a heliuva long time no seen, or what? Great to have you around! :cheerleader:

Thanks, Den.

Good to hear from you too!

FYI, since Avast became non-viable on W98, I "upgraded" to W2000, but haven't used my desktop much since then. Mostly due to lack of time, but also because this O/S doesn't work as well as W98, especially with all my DOS applications. Now Avast has dropped support for W2000, so I need to resolve this or consider Linux+Wine ...

Joe.

Edited by jds

On 12/7/2020 at 2:58 AM, jds said:

Well, I've done a little experimentation with this, but am unable to install Avast 9.0.xxxx (the oldest Avast still supported with updated definitions), which complains it needs XP as a minimum. How do I trick the setup program that it is running on XP?

The W98 KernelEx had a compatibility setting in the Explorer file properties window to select the spoofed version, but I don't see this feature here.

Joe.

OK, I've found the answer to this particular requirement. Blackwingcat also released a package called NNN4NT5 (NNN4NT5.cab, MD5=f42020182e6e17cb72ea38ee193ee3d0) which allows temporary spoofing of XP (and some other versions of MSW). It does however include a warning to reset to the correct version before shutting down or rebooting, lest you not be able to boot up next time!

With this I was able to fool and install Avast 9.0.2013, but now the problem is that this needs the VC++2010 redistributable package (edit: actually, it turns out it needs the VC++2012 runtime) for W2000 to be able to run ...

Joe.

Edited by jds
correction

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/7/2020 at 8:20 PM, jds said:

... I was able to fool and install Avast 9.0.2013, but now the problem is that this needs the VC++2010 redistributable package (edit: actually, it turns out it needs the VC++2012 runtime) for W2000 to be able to run ...

OK, thanks to blackwingcat's VC++2012 runtime (and extended kernel and NNN4NT5), I was able to get Avast 9.0.2013 both installed and "running". Unfortunately, some of Avast's "shields" could not be enabled, so actual protection was lacking.

So I then tried other versions of Avast 9.0 that I could find, but all I could now get was the error "The installer is unable to initialize early avast! self-defence with error 0x0000007f! Aborting!". Even trying to re-install the previous version 9.0.2013 gives this error message! Some research on this error (albeit with different hexidecimal codes) suggested the avast utility "avastclear" could resolve this issue, but so far, no success trying several versions of this utility (some run OK and say that uninstallation was successful, but the same error persists when trying to install Avast 9.0.xxxx).

Joe.

• 2 weeks later...

Happy New Year to everyone.

I have an issue with My Docyment folders comments, for example, My Documents, My Music and Videos now showing "?????????" instead of comment, My Pictures folder have an "@Shell32.dll -12688" as a comment. 

Maybe anyone knows how to solve this? (How to edit these folder comments)

I'm not sure about the reason of this issue, but I think it is might be one of version of extended kernel (my system installed back in 2018 with all the version of ExKernel since then).

MyVid.jpg

MyPic.jpg

Edited by Andreasmir

On 1/5/2021 at 6:54 AM, Andreasmir said:

Happy New Year to everyone.

I have an issue with My Docyment folders comments, for example, My Documents, My Music and Videos now showing "?????????" instead of comment, My Pictures folder have an "@Shell32.dll -12688" as a comment. 

Maybe anyone knows how to solve this? (How to edit these folder comments)

I'm not sure about the reason of this issue, but I think it is might be one of version of extended kernel (my system installed back in 2018 with all the version of ExKernel since then).

MyVid.jpg

MyPic.jpg

Is your SetSHF.exe version  1.0.2.5 ? :3

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/29/2021 at 9:55 AM, WinFX said:

Does firefox 54+ work in 2000? For some reason I get an XPCOM error.

Try profiling it with Dependency Walker and post the log. You could also try installing Visual C++ 2019, which might help, since it can load concrt140.dll

On 1/29/2021 at 6:55 PM, WinFX said:

Does firefox 54+ work in 2000? For some reason I get an XPCOM error.

Doesn't seem like it. I tried, every version after 52 ESR gave me errors. But, unless you need WebExtensions, that's hardly a problem, because Mypal and the latest version of Roytam1's Basilisk/UXP run fine (with Basilisk/UXP being more stable of the two).

On 12/7/2020 at 12:08 PM, jds said:

Avast has dropped support for W2000, so I need to resolve this

I know I'm late with this, but I think the best option would be going with an external firewall (basically a tiny, Intel NUC-like, PC with UTM software running on it, acting as a pass-through filter between the internet and the home network), outsourcing the antivirus work to a separate machine.

I know I'm late with this, but I think the best option would be going with an external firewall (basically a tiny, Intel NUC-like, PC with UTM software running on it, acting as a pass-through filter between the internet and the home network), outsourcing the antivirus work to a separate machine.

Thanks for the suggestion, but it doesn't fully solve my problem. I also need to be sure flash drives, CD-ROM's and floppy disks (yes, I still use them occasionally) don't introduce any nasties. :-/

Joe.

Edited by Tommy
Removed a ton of blank space