KernelEx for Win2000

On 3/25/2020 at 9:59 PM, GTAGAME said:

It seems there's currently no way to obtain the latest version of extended kernel with german language support/or get the latest version of it in general? I don't mind installing the enu version (if it even works). The legacy update site doesn't show any updates (maybe because of language mismatch

Hi.

I have carefully localized the files of Exkernel- I simply replace the enu or jpn files after applying the update with the localized ones. If you are interested, you can have them, if you prefer to live without the mui.  Let me know.

Greets from Austria Joe

On 3/24/2020 at 11:49 AM, JosefReisinger said:

@blackwingcat

update for zoom cloud meetings: version 3.5.53922.620 is the latest version which will work with w2k exkernel. But it misses a lot of functions compared to the actual version 4.6.18176.301. So, could you please please have a look on it?

Greetings Joe

I found out that zoom 3.5.53922.620 screen sharing does not work with w2k exkernel. I will create a new thread, because I find it useful to have conferencing software in w2k, too. in these times. I, personally prefer jitsi, which works in w2k exkernel, but zoom or skype business is used more often.

I recommend upload all those files (KernelEX, runtimes and drivers) to mega or mediafire in order to prevent files deleting. I noticed that some antiviruses detect KernelEX as a malware.

If you want/need the Extended Kernel with the GameGuard fix, it will be up on my website until it's added to BlackWingCat's new website.

http://ximonite.com/Windows2000-KB935839-v30eG-x86-ENU.exe

EDIT: BlackWingCat's extended kernel is on the new website, so the link above is not needed.

Edited by Ximonite
Invalid and unneeded link strikethroughed

I was pleased to notice that hundreds of Windows 2000 packages have been archived:

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://w2k.flxsrv.org/cgi-bin/*

On 4/16/2020 at 12:55 AM, FantasyAcquiesce said:

Found a bug in version 30...attempting to open Coc Coc browser (Chromium) causes Boingo Wireless to forget the computer even has a wireless card and stops internet. Luckily, Odyssey Client isn't effected by the bug!

Yeah, once every few weeks Boingo loses the WLAN card yet the PC will sometimes remain connected to the web. Disabling and re-enabling the connection from the network connections folder seems to fix it.

• 3 weeks later...

The founder of the site https://retrosystemsrevival.blogspot.com/ is looking for developers to backport Chromium 75 to Windows XP, is this possible version of browser backport to Windows 2000?

I also tried to install the DC Browser 4.0.3.6 browser on Windows 2000, although the installation was successful, but the browser does not start, it refers to the chrome_elf.dll error, I tried to add this missing dll, but another error related to Kerner32.dll came out, how to fix it?

35 minutes ago, Aspire89 said:

The founder of the site https://retrosystemsrevival.blogspot.com/ is looking for developers to backport Chromium 75 to Windows XP, is this possible version of browser backport to Windows 2000?

That is my site. However, you'll need to talk to DoaJC_Blogger because it's his project. Unfortunately, I do not believe we can make Chromium compatible with a Vanilla Windows 2000. The main issue I believe is the tools used for Chrome work for Windows XP or later (the archived one DoaJC_Blogger uses). The main issue he is attempting to solve is restoring GDI write to Chromium.

I advise using the Chrome 69 version of 360 Browser because later Chinese browsers might be too new to even work on Windows 2000 w/ KernelEx at that point. 

16 minutes ago, FantasyAcquiesce said:

That is my site. However, you'll need to talk to DoaJC_Blogger because it's his project. Unfortunately, I do not believe we can make Chromium compatible with a Vanilla Windows 2000. The main issue I believe is the tools used for Chrome work for Windows XP or later (the archived one DoaJC_Blogger uses). The main issue he is attempting to solve is restoring GDI write to Chromium.

I advise using the Chrome 69 version of 360 Browser because later Chinese browsers might be too new to even work on Windows 2000 w/ KernelEx at that point. 

Interestingly, at first I thought that this was your project, now the situation has cleared up, thanks, it’s a pity that you can’t backport Chromium 75, Chinese browsers are certainly good, but they have a drawback, this is the lack of English or Russian, and Western extensions (exception DC Browser) + you can’t access some sites, by the way, you have a very good site, I find a lot of useful things for myself there. (I am writing using Google-translator)

Edited by Aspire89

• 1 month later...

A bunch of questions from someone who's been out of the loop for the past ~5 years - sorry if its been asked before (I tried digging through countless posts and threads but I couldn't find this explicitly stated anywhere, only implied as common knowledge I guess):
If I understand correctly, Windows2000-KB935839-v13i-x86-ENU.EXE contains the latest (at the moment of writing) version of KernelEx.

Well, I tried searching for it on:
- http://win2k.org/wlu/wluen.htm
- https://twilczynski.com/windows/updates/

...and I couldn't find anything. The only version of KernelEx I've found was via win2k.org and that was v30eM.
Am I missing something obvious here? Also, I remember (been away for a good couple of years) there used to be a Compatibility tab injected in .exe app properties pages.
I haven't seen this anymore. Should I presume that once you install KernelEx, that's it?

Also, since I'm here, taking the opportunity to ask what is the latest version of Firefox that's supposed to work with KEx because on the thread with the "latest supported versions of software", Firefox support is listed as "on-going" yet I got the Win32 API method "RtlSetLastWin32Error" not found.

Thanks!

7 minutes ago, BogdanV said:

If I understand correctly, Windows2000-KB935839-v13i-x86-ENU.EXE contains the latest (at the moment of writing) version of KernelEx.

Nope, it is Windows2000-KB935839-v30e-x86-ENU.EXE.

8 minutes ago, BogdanV said:

Also, I remember (been away for a good couple of years) there used to be a Compatibility tab injected in .exe app properties pages.

That has nothing to do with the extended kernel. You can enable it by doing regsvr32 %windir%\apppatch\slayerui.dll.

10 minutes ago, BogdanV said:

Also, since I'm here, taking the opportunity to ask what is the latest version of Firefox that's supposed to work with KEx because on the thread with the "latest supported versions of software", Firefox support is listed as "on-going" yet I got the Win32 API method "RtlSetLastWin32Error" not found.

It is ESR 52.9.0.

5 minutes ago, win32 said:

That has nothing to do with the extended kernel. You can enable it by doing regsvr32 %windir%\apppatch\slayerui.dll.

Yes, I'm aware of the native shim implementation - what I'm saying is that, from what I remember (albeit this was probably on Win9x), KernelEx expanded the compatibility modes to include stuff like XP, Vista etc. or is this irrelevant to the way the system currently works?

Also, just to confirm - the two links above are the current sources for latest updates on the platform, right?
I'm asking because I remember there being other sources out there like MDGx's site but I haven't seen that one mentioned here in any recent posts.

2 minutes ago, BogdanV said:

what I'm saying is that, from what I remember (albeit this was probably on Win9x), KernelEx expanded the compatibility modes to include stuff like XP, Vista etc. or is this irrelevant to the way the system currently works?

I think that only 98SE KernelEx has had a compatibility tab with options like 2000/XP/Vista. On Windows 2000, no shimming is typically required to run newer apps (but it's required more often for installers). If needed, you can do it with the included tools fcwin2k (changes OS version per-program) and NNN4NT5 (changes OS version system-wide).

6 minutes ago, BogdanV said:

Also, just to confirm - the two links above are the current sources for latest updates on the platform, right?

http://win2k.org/wlu/wluen.htm - where you can find BWC's updates and drivers.

https://twilczynski.com/windows/updates/ - for official Windows 2000 updates.

So, yes.